What is your ski level?

gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 732 Crazy Baller
edited May 2014 in Technique & Theory
Ski level is in this Poll defined as:
- Complete pass (all six).
- Short lines at 34 mph.
- Training or competition.
- Can be repeated a few times during the season
It is allowed to round up slightly to fit into the poll alternatives.
Life is too short not to enjoy every day!

What is your ski level?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• JJVDMZNJJVDMZN Posts: 128 Baller
    Training to get there, beginner balls - 18m @ 46km/h
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 732 Crazy Baller
    @‌ jjvdmzn
    Did you vote?
    Keep up the work.
    Was there most of last summer.
    Once you are consistent at 46 the 49 will soon be within reach.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,323 Crazy Baller
    Actually I'm so old that my max is 32 MPH, however I can run 32off at 34 mph.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    andjules
  • GaryWilkinsonGaryWilkinson Posts: 308 Baller
    Me too, in the old category, I remember Wayne grimditch, George Athans and Sammy Duval so running -32 at a soft 34mph is a good day in my life in a 2.5 month season that btw hasn't started yet!
    Where's that global warming thing? Still snow at cottage!
    I need to ski back to the handle obviously.
    skidawg
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,793 Mega Baller
    Am at 32 off right now - hoping to up that to running 2 or 3 at 35 off this year. Just need more water time! Might be able to ski this week....first of this year!
    MISkier
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,981 Mega Baller
  • JJVDMZNJJVDMZN Posts: 128 Baller
    @gsm_peter I can't vote, I'm not making a complete pass (all 6 Balls) yet, but improving....
    bogboy
  • swerv_6swerv_6 Posts: 7 Baller
    WHAT ABOUT US 36MPH SKIERS @gsm_peter....... NO LOVE??????
    drewski32Klundell6ballsE_T
    Sorry I missed out 32 and 36.
    My assumption was that most train on 34.
    Maybe compensate with one line length equals one speed increment.
    Option 10 should be seen as 34 and better.
  • skier2788skier2788 Posts: 726 Crazy Baller
    Run mid 35 off at 36 MPh consitantly. So I chose the 38 off at 34 group. Pretty confident if I went at 34 MPH I would run 35 90% of the time.
    Travis Torley
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,359 Mega Baller
    @skier2788. Yes, that is very likely. I was exactly where you are when I transitioned to 34 mph, and immediately began running -35 most of the time (including my first two attempts of my life, which were at a tournament).
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    @than_Bogan I actually trained that way last year. Ran -32 @36 then [email protected] Eventually I stepped it back up to 36. Messing around one day I somehow ran [email protected] It was really ugly. I think slowing down to learn shorter line lengths helps. I can get my mind around a different visual picture if I am not freaking out about how fast I am going.
    Travis Torley
    Waternut
  • chris_loganchris_logan Posts: 355 Crazy Baller
    Well I do train sometimes at 34 mid season, though it's mostly working on mechanics. I usually work on things at one shorter line length than I see in my hardest pass at 36. Seems to make the normal set at 36 click a little better that way.
    Always looking for a pull... Will you be my boatdriver?
  • drewski32drewski32 Posts: 217 Baller
    During the middle of the season I can run -28 at 36mph, Mid or early -32. At 34mph I can run deep into -32. If I tried it more at 34mph I could run it. Why no options to for 36?
    @skier2788 WOW on that -38. I personally found 34/-38 was harder than 36/-35. Not a ton harder, but definitely harder.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,523 Mega Baller
    The comparison between 34 mph and 36 mph in official scoring is basically 6 buoys difference (run 32 off at 36 mph = run 35 off at 34 mph). It matches my score differences as well. I am basically a line length shorter at 34 mph than I am at 36 mph - almost 6 buoys exactly.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    scotchipman
    @Than_Bogan‌ @kfennell‌ I have to agree with him the only way I got through it was taking huge slack hits and just hanging on. Do it once to say you can but If I did it everyday my arms would fall off. I have run 35 off at 36 probly 50 to 60 timesand my PB is [email protected] I feel 38 off at 34 is slightly harder than 35 at 36. The six bouy difference between 34 and 36 is true up to a certain line let and then it is less. In my opinion. Otherwise why don't guys like mapple or rogers run deep [email protected] when they can run mid deep 41 at 36.
    Travis Torley
    edited May 2014
    Yep, there's no doubt in my mind that the difference in buoy count at 34 vs. 36 depends on where you are in the progression. In the neighborhood of 36/-32 and 34/-35, it's pretty much right on 6 buoys. But elsewhere it may be more or less.
  • cragginshredcragginshred Posts: 692 Crazy Baller
    There should be another poll that asks who skis 34 or 36mph beyond 32 off that does not have blown out discs in their spine (over 40 of course)!
    Vapor pro 2017
    Waternut
    discs are over-rated
    skier2788cragginshred
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 5,040 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @skier2788 I was right where you are in M2 running -32 @ 36 mph consistently and only ran -35 @ -36 once. First tourney in M3 @ 34 mph smoked -35 and had -38 going like it was a joke but over-turned 4 and ejected going toward 5. Thought I was about to own -38 @ 34 moving forward.

Strangely (really not so strange to those of us who live this purple nightmare) took another 5 years to run a meaningful number of -38 passes in a season.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    @6balls‌ first full year in M2 so I am hoping to start beating up on the purple loop a lot more this summer. Started running 35 some last year have taken five shots at 35 this year. Average 3 but did get 5 the last time I tried it. I am feeling pretty good about that. It is the middle of May and water is 58 degrees. By the end of summer my goal is to be consistent at 35 and getting 3 @38 regularly. Pretty big goals but I feel like I can do it.
    Travis Torley
    6ballsThan_Bogan
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    edited May 2014
    And there you have it, statistical proof that there are as many skiers running -38 as all skiers running -22 and longer and slower combined! =)
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    cragginshredThan_BoganDanE
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,211 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    Guess I started too late, I never skied any 36. Have run a few 38 off 34 mph passes this summer. Was thinking I would ski an INT League at 36 to see what it was all about.

So, if I can run 35 @ 34 mph consistently , it is likely I can run 32 @36 mph as well?
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,523 Mega Baller
    @GOODESkier, I would think you would be able to run 32 off at 36 mph. Maybe not cold the first time you try it, but after some slight adjustments. Try it. I actually think 36 mph is more fun and my ski actually rides a little better.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    Than_Bogan
    Have forgot to summarize.
    First a great thanks all for your answers.

BOS seems really to be the digital center of very advanced skiers.
    I feel a bit humble when I realize that most of you are on level I will never be able to reach.Kudos!!! Yepp a special thanks for providing us LL so much support and efforts helping us to improve!
    Feeling a bit lonely I hope some more LL skiers will keep on posting.
    We can maybe share some AHA feelings on technique that most BOS'ers most likely have forgotten loooong time ago.

=0)
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    I have one lifetime 39 off practice pass, but it wasn't "straight down the line" (was on the second try) and I haven't been able to repeat, so I think -38 is the right answer for me.
    Jim Ross
    Texas6
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,190
    I'm stuck at 35 for now - but not for long
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file