INT Arkansas

mikeymikey Posts: 67 Baller
Im considering trying a few ski comps held here in Arkansas this summer. The only problem is I've yet to run the course. I would consider myself an intermediate skier that is still working on being stacked and making rhythmic turns. My goal is to be able to run the course one day.. But, I don't have access to one so I just free ski as much as possible when I'm at the lake house.. I've been to a couple of ski schools. So, I'm somewhat familiar with the course. Just no luck navigating through it yet.... Anyway, would it be silly for me to just sign up for a tournament and give it a shot without actually running the course beforehand.. I'm just trying to get as much experience as I can... Advice welcomed please. Thanks!

Comments

• MattPMattP Posts: 5,981 Mega Baller
    It would not be silly at all! The INT is a great way to get started in tournaments and running the course!
    Than_Bogan
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    GO FOR IT! That is how I started 2 years a go! You should also find an AWSA guy or two in your area and try to get a few pulls and pointers from them. There may also be a good INT guy or two. I got lucky and stumbled into a couple INT guys that were good skiers, knowledgeable, and all around good guys. @TeamWally‌ was a HUGE help through INT! He helped me find my ZO number and started getting me set up to run shorter lines. Still love skiing with him. Ted Pooler from Yakima, WA INT was also a HUGE help at our INT events. Many AWSA guys started out in INT as well!

Don't be afraid to ask for help and get a few sets in at some ski lakes in your area! It will be easier to get access than you think.
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
    Than_Bogan
  • Onside135Onside135 Posts: 412 Crazy Baller
    edited May 2014
    @mikey The INT could potentially be a great place to start, however, it is my understanding that they have not held a slalom INT event in Arkansas for a few years. I do know some guys that can probably help you out though....check your private messages.
    Than_Bogan
  • 501Brandon501Brandon Posts: 144 Baller
    The first time I ever tried the slalom course was at an INT event. If you want to ski the course get a hold of me. I know of a few clubs in Central Arkansas including ours that would be happy to help you out.
    Brandon Atkinson
    Than_Bogan
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,262 Mega Baller
    @mikey‌ where in Arkansas are you?
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
  • mikeymikey Posts: 67 Baller
    Thanks guys. I live in Little Rock. I know of a a couple of private clubs in AR. One in Scott, AR the Greenwoods I believe own that one and one up in Fayettville area. I'll message Onside135 and 501 Brandon for more info in my area.
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,262 Mega Baller
    @mikey‌ both the Greenwoods and Boskus's (Fayetteville) would be happy if you reached out to them. They're both great families and can get you pointed the right direction.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
    AWSA Southern Region EVP
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,359 Mega Baller
    Just piling on, but: Definitely go. Showing up at a tournament tells people you are serious about getting better, which is FAR more important than being good when it comes to getting yourself time with good skiers on good facilities. Treat it as a networking opportunity: make sure you meet everyone, learn about them, and tell them about yourself. Get lots of phone numbers. Etc.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Ed_Obermeier

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file