Skiing in Grand Rapids, MI

DaveDDaveD Posts: 532 Crazy Baller
Starting next week, July 8th, I'm going to be spending 3-4 weeks in GR for work. Does anyone know if there's a place I can get time in a course? I looked on Placid Waters web site but it looks like it's only set up for wakeboarding. Thanks

Comments

• MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,854 Mega Baller
    Placid Waters has 2 courses on it. The Grand Valley State University ski team and the West Shore Waterski Club ski there. I belong to West Shore, but I live 100 miles away. So, I am not there very much. PM me for more info.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    kurt
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 532 Crazy Baller
    Thanks. It sucks having to travel during the summer but GR is a lot better than Hermosillo. It would be nice to ski as opposed to spending my evenings in Founders and HopCat.
    MZito
  • StonerStoner Posts: 71 Baller
    @DaveD I am about thirty minutes south of GR with a few options that might work. PM me your number- I will be available through the 3rd then up north with no electronics.
  • StonerStoner Posts: 71 Baller
    @DaveD‌ make that going up north on the 3rd then will be back on the 6th. I will be around most of the summer...
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 532 Crazy Baller
    West Michigan skiers rock!!!

I had a great time skiing with some great people last week. Stoner burnt his hand really bad just before I got to his place and he still still skied. He's got an beautiful set-up on a great skiing lake. The couple sets with him sure helped for the next day when I got to ski in my first tournament.

The tournament host was awesome, the lake was perfect, and the boat pulling the tournament was a new MasterCraft from Action Water Sports. What a way to start skiing tournaments.

All of the skiers I met last week were outgoing and welcoming. On top of that, MIskier was a big help giving me the ins and outs of skiing in a tournament.

Thanks to all the skiers I met last week and hope I can ski with you all again. Dave
    A_BScarletArrowMISkierSkoot1123
  • kurtkurt Posts: 73 Baller
    @DaveD‌ glad you had a good time , hopefully we will see you around some more
    billy's puddle swerving around the frogs
    Mick04
  • GRSkierGRSkier Posts: 6 Baller
    Have to resurrect this thread. I'm new to BallofSpray. Trying to hunt down a place in/around GR to do some course skiing. I occasionally ski on Green Lake, but my friend down there is only interested in skiing every few weeks. Anyone from this thread still around? Anyone here ski that course on the Thornapple near the GRR airport?
    @GRSkier, I believe the only access to the Thornapple course is if you are a property owner along the river. There are no public launches.
  • freeski41freeski41 Posts: 19 Baller
    GRSkier, I have access to the Thornapple River and I am looking for ski partners.
    PM me if you want.
    MISkierAndreDaveD
  • GRSkierGRSkier Posts: 6 Baller
    Nice. PM sent.
  • dhofertdhofert Posts: 145 Baller
    Anyone here still around? Looking for some people to ski with.
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,769 Mega Baller
    @MISkier knows everyone up that way.
    edited June 8
    @dhofert,

Are you looking to do some course skiing or free skiing? Are you looking to join a club? Most of the people I know are course skiers and club members. I did check with someone last fall who also lives on Gun Lake, but didn't get a follow up response as to their availability.
    edited June 8
    @MISkier I would like to do a little bit of both. I have never skied a course yet so there would be a learning curve for sure. Don't think I am ready to join a club yet, just looking for the ability to go out more than the once a week my driver wants to go out. It's hard to learn with 15min or less a week.

If it makes a difference I am between Lowell and Caledonia about half hour south of GR.
  • Akb2914Akb2914 Posts: 1 Baller
    I'm in Ada, but keep my boat in Spring Lake.. new to the area, and also to skiing.

Would love to get out more and make some progress this summer!
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    If you can swing it, Join a club, you will learn more and faster. Any club I've been to there are always the full gamut of ability levels.

I started at a club about 10 years ago on a public lake and couldn't barely run a pass through the course and now ski into shortline at tournaments.
  • kurtkurt Posts: 73 Baller
    @dhofert ,@Akb2914 there is a tournament tonight at our place , come and connect with others .
    PM me for details
    billy's puddle swerving around the frogs
    MISkier
    @kurt,

Awesome idea! I was going to mention these new skiers to all you guys tonight, but it's far better to meet them.
    @kurt pm sent. @Akb2914 we should ride together if this sounds like something you would like to do.
    Does anyone else have to drive by the Lowell, Caledonia area that could stop and grab me on the way tonight?
  • JAGJAG Posts: 169 Crazy Baller
    Isn't Ty Oppenlander's place near Grand Rapids?
    @JAG,

Ty's is in Kalamazoo. Not too close. I think it might be inactive at the moment.
    JAG
    @dhofert and @Akb2914, there are more Thursday night tournaments and a couple Saturday tournaments where you can connect.

Also, at the West Shore Water Ski Club site in Conklin, there is the water ski portion of the State Games of America (a.k.a., Meijer State Games). Slalom is on 6/24 and Trick/Jump is on 6/25. The same skiers, and probably more from the area, should be there.
  • skifrkskifrk Posts: 4 Baller
    Hi All, Just moved to Grand Haven, working in Holland. Would like to free or slalom ski somewhere around here. I can go deep into fall and early into spring with drysuit. Just need a boat and partner. will pay for gas and drive.

Roy/Skifrk
  • CkruegCkrueg Posts: 18 Baller
    edited October 10
    I'm in Belding and I work in GR. Just joined a few weeks ago but I'm looking for people to ski with. My parents have an old IO we use but the wake is pretty huge. I hope to have an old prostar by spring though.
  • seveetseveet Posts: 17 Baller
    skifrk and Ckrueg. I am always looking for people to ski with. We don't have a coarse, but Mona is a great water sports lake. PM me. We still may be able to get out this year if the good weather continues.
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 1,810 Crazy Baller
    I'll be moving there shortly - spring should be great for 2018
  • skifrkskifrk Posts: 4 Baller
    Hi BraceMaker, Do you have a boat? Where you moving to?
  • Mateo VargasMateo Vargas Posts: 683 Crazy Baller
    @Ckrueg Scott Dobrowolski is the greatest skier I know from Belding. PM me if you want contact info.
    Success is failure that just hasn't happened yet
    MISkier
    edited November 14
    +1 for Scott D. Skied with him at West Shore Water Ski Club for years and at tournaments every summer. Great skier. I bought my current boat from Scott.