26 MPH – 36 MPH at 15 off behind Centurion Carbon Pro / shot with Wakeye

HortonHorton Posts: 25,048 Administrator
edited July 2014 in Boat Talk
A couple Ballers have asked why I have not done some sort of official review of my Centurion Carbon Pro. The truth is I don’t have any idea how to review a boat.

There are a few key points about the boat that clearly stand out. One is the wakes. The average Baller is a male between 35 and 55 years old. I think the most important feature for this group is small wakes for wives, girlfriends and children. On this point I do not think anyone does it better than Centurion.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

WishDefectiveDaveDmaxJC_ski

Comments

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,905 Mega Baller
    edited July 2014
    VERY Nice! Small wakes are indeed very important. Is it my imagination or are they just barely worse at 30 and 32 than the other speeds?

Also, I think you should keep that 26 video around somewhere handy. Whenever I tell course newbies to ski at 26 they usually think it's way too slow and impossible. Making them watch your video is less hassle than running it myself! Plus you weigh closer to a "typical" newb skier so they can't throw back at me "yeah I could do that if I weighed 165 lbs."
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,425 Mega Baller
    Than I thought the same. Doesn't change much. Can't tell much difference between 32 and 36. Nice.
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    Thanks for posting. I am finding more and more guys at the heart of this sport who ski -15 29-32 mph.
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
    Than_Bogan
  • ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 757 Crazy Baller
    @Horton‌ better watch out, or that video might become more famous and critiqued than Seth's 15off 30mph video!
    Anthony Warren
  • DekeDeke Posts: 360 Baller
    @ScarletArrow‌ I thought the same thing! Wasn't even looking at the wakes!
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,048 Administrator
    edited July 2014
    After watching this a few times I think it might be bad to show beginners. I come off edge so early and when you are learning to run 26 - 28 that is not going to work.

Because I come off edge so early it makes the wakes look a little less tiny than they really are.

I would be happier if everyone just looked at the wakes.... anyone looking for a pretty blue 6L?

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• DefectiveDaveDefectiveDave Posts: 477 Solid Baller
    I think this might be even better than Seth's videos if only because of the better resolution and quality. I have a hell of a time telling what's going on in all of those except for the 32 mph HQ version.

Although not the intent, as a beginner I'm finding them very helpful. You might be letting up at the lower speeds, but you're also on edge and stacked early so you don't need to pull as long. Putting these side-by-side with my own 30, 32, and 34 mph passes it's easy to see where I start to fall behind. I can run all these passes, but you're much earlier than me and from the video I can tell almost exactly where (and maybe why) that starts. At the very least it gives me something to focus on and tells me my turns haven't improved as much as I thought they had. Now the question becomes, how to be more like Horton?

As for the wake, I can also tell side-by-side at those speeds that the wake is much better than my 92 Nautique. It seems like the wake doesn't really start to form until a little further back, which cleans up 15 off nicely. One of these days I'll get a new boat.
    Moggie
  • skibummskibumm Posts: 106 Baller
    That wake looks very similar to my 94 Centurion falcon at those speeds (I have more rooster tail) and one of the main reasons I have kept that boat for 20 years. My kids have all grown up skiing behind it and have appreciated the wakes at the slower speeds.
    edited July 2014
    @DefectiveDave‌ who is this @Sethski‌ person? Does he ski very good.

I think most skiers running these passes need to stay on edge a lot longer than I do. I was not thinking about it when I shot the video but I bet I would have been a lot wider if I had stayed down longer.

FYI 36mph 15 off is hard

6balls
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,905 Mega Baller
    @Horton My point is not that your 26 mph pass is one for a new skier to study, but rather that it provides the evidence that even a 190 lb (iirc) guy who is used to skiing much faster does not horribly sink in at 26 mph. I occasionally see people who basically refuse to ski the course at 26 and I think insisting on 30ish makes it a ton harder for them to learn how to do it.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    6ballsusaski1
    @Than_Bogan‌ I hate to agree with you

• MoggieMoggie Posts: 105 Baller
    @Horton do you do anything differently at 36mph? You make it look similar to 34 just with sharper turns. I've been struggling with the pass forever.

Really interesting video so thanks for uploading.
    A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office.
  • bogboybogboy Posts: 691 Baller
    @Horton‌, thanks for doing and posting this video. This gives a lot of us a good perspective that we don't get to see as often as the higher speed, shorter rope passes.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,350 Mega Baller
    @Horton the wakes do look awesome on that boat. We don't have a lot of them in the east so I haven't been in or behind a 2014 yet.

I agree with your perspective on beginners needing to pull longer. I read a lot of people talk about starting the edge change behind the boat and that only works if you build angle and speed out of the buoy and beginners cant do that.
    Mark Shaffer
    Than_BoganBulldogSkiJay
  • ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 757 Crazy Baller
    @Horton after running his 36mph 15off pass, @Sethski continued the set and went into 38off. What did you do?

@DefectiveDave I agree. When I filmed those with Seth it was in the morning and we were dealing with a little sun glare. I also didn't have an HD camera at the time. I watch the 32mph version the most because of the lighting.
    Anthony Warren
  • DWDW Posts: 1,761 Crazy Baller
    Very nice!
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,990 Mega Baller
    edited July 2014
    I have to say that wake at the slower speeds looks very soft. Even from some of the other manufactures at these slower speeds tend to toss skiers a bit crossing behind the boat I don't see that happening behind the CP. I think the video says it a for this "review"
    It is review-ish

• EHorton95EHorton95 Posts: 4 Baller
    wish i could run 15 off like that
    @EHorton95‌ get healthy and I will teach you to run 15 off