After Zero Off - Whats Next?

ozskiozski Posts: 1,513
Does anyone have any thoughts on how speed control might advance and get better in the future? What are the negatives with the current tech that need to be sorted? Are we moving towards boat path control as well? I own and run a software company so I'm always thinking about how we can use mobile in this space and I have a few ideas of my own.
'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

Comments

• auskierauskier Posts: 445 Baller
    I believe an auto tracking system exists and several reputable people have tested it/skied it. I wouldn't doubt that a forum member or two has seen it. that will be next.
    Toby Daff
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,337 Historical Baller
    Currently, speed control systems have too many settings to diddle with, and need too
    much driver input. That could use a fix. This Winter, I was around when another
    company was doing some semi-secret testing. We'll see what happens.
    skibugThan_BoganBulldog
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,337 Historical Baller
    @LeonL Back when speed control (PP) first was required, a couple of Sr. Drivers from
    the Miami area quit at that time.

Still need to make the system with an underwater monorail. If they can build a snow
    ski resort indoors in Dubai, they could do this. Or maybe Disney? Would be an
    advance over cable skiing, as there would be no side-to-side movement.

Back-back when, late 1980's maybe, I did an article for WaterSki Magazine about
    future towboats, and there was a nice concept drawing of such a system.
    oldjeepE_T
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,922 Mega Baller
    @Edbrazil‌

I wonder why nobody has actually implemented a system like that. Doesn't seem like there are any technical reasons that it could not be done.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    socalskier
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,793 Mega Baller
    @Edbrazil I 100% agree about too many parameters (the correct number of skier-tunable parameters is 0), but I'm not quite following about requiring driver input. The driver just sets the speed. Or are you talking about the need to steer?

The future, of course, is a fully autonomous exclusively-solar-powered ski boat. Doubt I'll live to see THAT, though.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • skihartskihart Posts: 403 Baller
    @Horton had a comment or two in another thread that makes me think that he knows something we don't.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,048 Mega Baller
    Voice recognition to accept (and confirm) desired settings is probably next.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • MSMS Posts: 4,546 Mega Baller
    edited July 2014
    One problem I see would be that it is a change in the feel of the slalom pull. It may never be accepted as feeling good as a boat out in front of you.
    Shut up and ski
    Skoot1123
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,704 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Auto tracking (or whatever you want to call it) is coming.
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 1,874 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Personally, I'd hate to see an underwater rail system cannibalize boat sales, resulting in the elimination of some models. I don't know if that would actually happen, but it's nice to have some great direct drive options out there in the new boat market.
    Scott Calderwood
    Nick Sullivan
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,703 Mega Baller
    Just keep in mind this... Whatever the next big tech thing is, it will flow downhill and price out some people from participating in our sport. Whatever is implemented at elite levels will flow down to Nationals and thus to regionals and thus to state championships and thus to local tournaments in prep for all of the above. So, if a monorail drive tow system is in our sport's competitive future, start saving your pennies because your site will have to buy and install one before you know it.

Hopefully, we won't throw out the boats too soon. Ideally, whatever tech is adopted hopefully is done so in a way that can be retrofitted on existing towboats. We have to keep the current fleet functional and valued. If we cut off all existing boats as no longer viable practice tools due to new tech that can't be retro-fitted, then we will have injured our sport. Sure, it will eventually recover from the injury, but there will be a period of healing. That's how I see the transition from Accuski/PP to ZO. I love the ZO pull, but our sport is still not fully healed from that transition.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • jerrymjerrym Posts: 63 Baller
    It would be helpful to have a display that indicates variance from the center line of the ideal boat path. This would be most helpful for the set up to the course. Many lakes require a turn before the course and both skier and driver would benefit from a better/earlier set up.
    ToddLMISkierozskiBulldog
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,703 Mega Baller
    edited July 2014
    @jerrym - Hmmm... GPS path tracking and logging. First for driver feedback on centerline. Then, maybe the ability to save an out-of-course path for a particular site to USB and upload/share it with other boats as a recommended set-down/turn path.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • jerrymjerrym Posts: 63 Baller
    @ToddL‌ - sharing the preferred path would be nice for tournaments. Good thought.
  • thompjsthompjs Posts: 528 Solid Baller
    You are talking about survey quality GPS to get location accuracy in inches -- $$$$
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 438 Crazy Baller
    Centerline tracking or deviation certainly would be welcome, there is probably even technology out there in the from of automotive Lane Departure Warning systems that could be adapted.
    Have to agree with ToddL, having to make the transition to ZO is tough physically and financially, so tough I haven't let go of my Accuski-ProTour or the spare parts and pieces I keep in the basement!
    Call me nostalgic ...... and don't take away my Blackberry either! HA
  • HortonHorton Posts: 24,798 Administrator
    @skihart‌ I know lots of things but not much about this. I do know that at least one other company has developed speed control. My understanding it that one of the problems is jump.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

• MattPMattP Posts: 5,994 Mega Baller
    @Horton‌ Jump has been the driving factor for most speed controlled systems to be out dated, AcuSki ->PP->ZO
  • HortonHorton Posts: 24,798 Administrator
    And that is good for the sport how?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,175 Mega Baller
    I don't want another speed control. It is bad enough that I need to go ski tournaments behind speed control I can't put in my boat but I don't need another option I can't practice behind.
    Mark Shaffer
    Than_BoganSkoot1123Bulldog
    edited July 2014
    @rico‌ at an affordable price.
    @Jody_Seal‌ very insightful. You could be ranting from WSA while skiing but no boat and not skiing going on in ATL any more.. Just a shuttle ride from the airport..
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,175 Mega Baller
    @rico I already have $1400 into a stargazer system I don't want to put another 1K plus into another system.
    Mark Shaffer
    Bradykstateskier
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,513
    Ok my ideas run along the lines that the new system will sync with your mobile device and share data, personal settings etc - imaging being able to totally customize your pull on your mobile device before you ski, something else to tinker with I know but pretty cool... I wonder if ZO is smart enough to report on things like the load on the rope and duration of that load, tie some of that data in with video and it becomes interesting. Push the whole lot into the cloud, any device, any boat, anywhere...
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

swc5150Moggiejerrym
  • IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,080 Crazy Baller
    I think people are getting ahead of themselves here... The fact is, most skiers dont like paying for a $40,000-$60,000 boat. Not many people will say "i have no problem with dishing out that kinda money". Now, if we put in a auto drive system (no telling how much that would cost) it will drive up prices of boats like what other people have mentioned.

Here is the problem:
    These companies need to stay in business. If these boats get to the $90,000-$100,000 mark, people will not buy them. Either the comapnies will go under or they will revert to something like ZO again. These comapnies know what people are willing to pay and what they are willing to take (equilibrium price) and they understand if they go above what people are willing to pay, demand will fall. The last thing these companies need is for less people to buy their boats.

My point- Not many people can afford a boat near the six figure mark. Many of those who can afford it will not be willing to pay it. Price increases in boats would be a HUGE mistake.
    Ed_Obermeier6ballsSkoot1123
  • InthedayIntheday Posts: 119 Baller
    1 inch accuracy is available in agricultural auto steer this relies on GPS plus ground station. Speed may be an issue in the correction but the ability is there. That said I want speed control that can be retro fitted to all boats carby and EFI that just works for the every day skier.
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,513
    @Ilivetoski - You won't stop people building a better mouse trap, there will always be buyers who want the best of the best. Hull designs can probably only get to a certain point then the difference comes down the bolt on features and benefits. First to market with the latest and best will almost certainly win. And BTW look how off the charts stupidly excessive wake board boats are..