Warp 14 Review

HortonHorton Posts: 23,672 Administrator
edited July 2014 in Ski Tests
In 2007, German brothers Matthias and Philipp Auer announced the Warp. The Auer brothers combined their love for waterskiing with their experience in aerospace and in motorsport engineering to create what may be the most groundbreaking ski of our time. Because of the ski’s high price, limited availability, minimal promotion, and obscure origins, it has remained on the fringe of the sport.

The shape of the Warp does not look radically different, but under close inspection, it is unique. Compared to most skis, the tail is slightly narrower, and the middle is slightly wider. The widest place on the ski is farther forward than most other skis. This is all accentuated by the fact that bindings are mounted farther back than other skis of the same size. You can read more about the shape here.

The Warp has the unusual combination of being extremely forgiving and extremely fast. If “fast” means that the ski gets wide and early without the skier using much physical strength or technical skill, then the Warp is one of the fastest skis on the market. Technically errors always lead to a lower score, but typical errors are less costly on the Warp than expected. Simply put, the Warp is easy to ride.

Off Side
For off side turns, the Warp will turn with weight over the skier’s back foot, but it will turn better and better as the skier adds weight to their front foot. This is not unusual among the current high end skis. What is noteworthy is that the skier can push forward harder and with less finesse without getting in trouble.

If the skier keeps their shoulders high off the water and presses forward, the Warp will maintain substantial speed and arc back to the center smoothly. If the skier allows their shoulders to lean in toward the center of the course too early, the ski will roll over and make a very sudden hard turn. Either way, the ski almost always generates more than enough angle at the off side turn.

On Side
On side turns are similar to the off side turn because the Warp does best with weight forward, but it is forgiving to imperfect weight distribution. On Side turns are basically foolproof.
Ball to Wakes
One of the secrets to skiing consistently on the Warp is not using more strength than is necessary. If pushed, the ski may create more angle and load than can be effectively handled. A calm and relaxed skier, who works just hard enough to hold angle, will be wide and early to the next ball.

Wakes to Ball
The Warp becomes increasingly stable as the skier presses forward on the ski approaching the ball. The Warp consistently gets wide and early even if the skier makes moderate errors.

Performance Summary
More than any ski ridden to date, the secret to a big score on the Warp is to do less of everything. This ski wants the skier to take angle but load the rope only as much as is necessary. For turns on both sides, this ski works best if the skier presses their front foot forward but does not push the ski to turn. The more the skier stays tall and gives the ski less input, the better the ski works.

Quirks & Notes
The Warp is truly a unique boutique product. Unlike mass produced skis, the Warp has some idiosyncrasies. The ski does not have inserts so DualLock or some other adhesive system is needed to mount bindings on it. The fin box is not my favorite but not the worst I have ever used. There are reports of cosmetic issues as well as skis that get water inside of them. These quirks are easily dealt with and are completely overshadowed by the ski’s performance.

The design was licensed to another manufacturer between between 2010 and 2012, but now, the Auer brothers have taken the Warp back under their control.

The bulk of this review is based on a Warp with the following flex numbers 82 105 130 150 (156). I also had the opportunity to try a Warp with slightly softer flex. I found the softer ski to be not as forgiving, but when I was technically at my very best, the softer ski was even better. The softer ski requires more finesse at the off side turn but generates even more angle and speed. If I had to chose, I would take the stiffer of the two skis.

During the 7 weeks of the Warp review, I skied equal to my previous personal best a number of times on both skis and increased my personal best score by one ball on the softer ski.

Settings as tested 28.5 / 6.8230 / 2.500 / 0.814 slot / 9 degrees
Get your own Warp

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

oldjeep

Comments

• dislanddisland Posts: 1,053 Crazy Baller
    @horton do you think the hollow design is a factor? I remember seeing a prototype and the concept was that they adjust the flex by changing the angle of the internal core stringers. When you got the second ski could you tell how they went about adjusting the flex?
    Dave Island- Princeton Lakes
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,632 Mega Baller
    This review is very enlightening in one respect: I have been wondering why all the video and pictures look like you are way back on the ski but somehow not riding the tail. The shape and boot position you've explained seem to dictate that. It will be interesting to see if this is the start of a new trend or just a wacky outlier.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,209 Crazy Baller
    can not find any where you give the size ski you are on and your weight which might be good to know for potential purchasers.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,672 Administrator
    @disland I would speculate that the hollow design means the ski will maintain its flex for a lot longer than a traditional ski. I have not proof but here is anecdotal evidence.

How they adjust the flex? Beats me. Less carbon or carbon in a different place.

@Than_Bogan I think that if this design had been introduced by a big US ski company for a price in line with the rest of the skis it could have been very disruptive to the industry.

@mwetskier you know how you can have a Model T any color you want as long as it is black? You can have a Warp any size you want as long as it is 67.

Ski size is a wacky subject to begin with. Within reason I think the Warp is one size fits all.

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Than_Boganskosney
  • colo_skiercolo_skier Posts: 738 Solid Baller
    We had a guy at our lake try the warp a few years ago. His comment was "This ski is frighteningly fast across course." From what I saw the ski itself was a real work of art.
    Not sure I know what I am doing. The boat goes I follow. Trying to perfect the deep water start. Squirrel!
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,744 Mega Baller
    I have seen a Warp once - beautiful carbon layup as I recall. Seems to be aptly named. Reading between the lines it appears that this is one crazy awesome ski.
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,495 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    They could help themselves with broader market by not being so expensive, hollow, no inserts, one size fits all.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    @Skoot1123‌ do you really have to read between the lines. Sometimes my reviews require reading skills but I think this one is pretty clear.

Sometimes between the lines is were some of us are at. 7 red perpendicular lines to be exact.
    Not sure I know what I am doing. The boat goes I follow. Trying to perfect the deep water start. Squirrel!
    Than_BoganHorton
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,596 Mega Baller
    edited July 2014
    A ski that favors weight forward like downhill sking? If you didn't have to Velcro your bindings to the ski I'd order one today. (or after looking at the price maybe wait until someone wanted to sell a used one)
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    @colo_skier‌ say what?

• BRYBRY Posts: 534 Crazy Baller
    edited July 2014
    @colo_skier & @than_bogan Best video ever! At my last job I did significant business with a very large software company (built specialized servers primarily) and meetings with them last few years were just like this.
    How many software engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    No can do, it's a hardware problem...
    Horton
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,147 Crazy Baller
    I assume you're all watching "Halt and Catch Fire", right?
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    Horton
  • jhughesjhughes Posts: 660 Crazy Baller
    @Than_Bogan‌ that video has been in my Gchat sig for months, it's SO great. I've been in that meeting 1000 times. They captured it perfectly.
    Horton
    edited July 2014
    Didn't mean to hi-jack. Just didn't have the will power to ignore the opening. From everyone I know that has seen or tried the warp it seems to impress. Even the price. @Horton I can't believe you haven't been hooked into that vid.
    HortonJAS
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,495 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    You forgot "All right then, we will send you a summary of this meeting shortly (like we needed one...we were there). After a few weeks, we will send you our proposal and an invite to another meeting whereby we may discuss our findings which will further tell you what you already know because you just told us...but now it will be our expert opinion".

At this point we tell the nugget head consultants that we're done.

Glad you had a good run on the Warp, @Horton. As always nice review.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    You guys kill me.... Yes the video is funny but I spent a lot of time on this review.

• gator1gator1 Posts: 591 Crazy Baller
    "Before the ballers, these pearls"

C'mon guys, horton worked his butt off riding a $2600 ski and PB ing on it. Let's be serious here.
    Than_BoganMSkstateskier
    @Horton I appreciate the reviews that you do as it allows a real world comparison of the products out there that most of us will never have the time or money to go through.
  • gmutgmut Posts: 193 Baller
    @Horton What do you think are the average amount of days that you spend on a ski dialing it in and evaluating it for your review?
    @gmut each reviews takes about 30 rides over 5 weeks. The Warp review went long because my wive had a baby in middle and because I did not want to get off it.

• lkblkb Posts: 504 Baller
    Horton, What fin did you use?
    Do the new warps have a valve? If so, can you post a picture
  • gmutgmut Posts: 193 Baller
    @Horton Do you ski on the ski that you are evaluating exclusively or do you evaluate other skis during the same time frame as well?
    99% of the time one ski at a time. Jumping around screws up the process

• rokrok Posts: 29 Baller
    Yeah, @Horton - did you use the carbon fin that came with the ski or a regular aluminum one?
    aluminum

Back on Warp last week or so. Had best tournament weekend of my life last weekend.

Than_BoganChuck_Dickey
  • Chuck_DickeyChuck_Dickey Posts: 1,456 Crazy Baller
    edited August 2014
    Great skiing John! You were working that ski well. We could hear you fin whistle at every turn. Rossi once said " when you fin setting whistles, it's muy bueno!
    Hortonpumpinpete
    edited August 2014
    Thanks @Chuck_Dickey‌ you know I am a Centurion man but there is nothing wrong with your ProStar.