Would you use 5-Hour Energy to help your athletic performance?

ScarletArrowScarletArrow Posts: 742 Solid Baller
edited July 2014 in Other Stuff
T-gas has a nice set of videos with "5-Hour Energy Sports". Whenever I use 5-Hour energy for skiing, it's only to keep me awake as I drive non-stop through the night to get to Orlando for early spring skiing. Never thought about actually using it for athletic performance. What do you think.

Would you use 5-Hour Energy to help your athletic performance? 73 votes

No, I would never use it for athletic performance.
41%
ScarletArrowDekeDaveDChuck_DickeyA_BChef23Rpc29jhughesGAJ0004londonskierBulldogTom Andersonlathompsonraynjayskiswc5150akale15BbrandaumaximusKlundell 30 votes
I've ever thought about it, but I would be willing to give it a try.
23%
dislandCamMattPChris RossiMrs_MSskinutjackskiGaryWilkinsonIlivetoskicwillygoodampacdancrashmanLittleRipperdoonezMoggiewtrskiorIan Joda 17 votes
I've used it, and it doesn't help.
9%
HortonscotchipmanEd_JohnsonTylerRThePantsManCanMSE_T 7 votes
I've used it, and it really helps.
15%
mopowpowmlangeskibugjipster43Razorskier1WishbkreistfriessSkoot1123jerrymCowboyTroy43 11 votes
What's 5-Hour Energy?
4%
DustyaussiemcXR6Hurricane 3 votes
The only PED I need is...
6%
thagerSteven Hainesigkyaskier2788SkiJay 5 votes
Anthony Warren

Comments

• MSMS Posts: 4,282 Mega Baller
    Coffee Rocks.
    Shut up and ski
    oldjeep
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    Caffeine unsettles me with every sport actually. Makes my brain hyperactive which causes me to think about too many things other than what I'm doing and my abilities go downhill.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,347 Mega Baller
    I get off work at 6 am, sometimes head straight to the lake. I'll drink half of one then maybe the other half later if I need it. One hole one makes me a little jittery. Coffee works too but I have to eat something with it. I usually don't ski as well if I were rested so I can't say it helps my athletic performance.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,366 Administrator
    I have 2 jobs, a crazy wife and now a baby. I get caffeine, taurine and whatever is legal any chance I get so I can ski a little more.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babe's /Connelly / DBSkis /Denali Goode / HO Syndicate / Mapple / Masterline / O'Brien /
    MasterCraft / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Ed_Obermeier
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,366 Administrator
    My vote was a fat finger.I use it. Not as much as Red Bull but I take it.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babe's /Connelly / DBSkis /Denali Goode / HO Syndicate / Mapple / Masterline / O'Brien /
    MasterCraft / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• BMG73BMG73 Posts: 107 Baller
    I bought 4 bottles once at the start of a cross country road trip. Drove from Orlando to Spokane. I took one after driving all day and took one 5-6 hours later (still driving) and got major jitters. Didn't like the feeling and never drank the rest of them. Not sure if they even recommend such use....
  • jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,354 Crazy Baller
    I've never used it and usually avoid similar products, but I'm willing to lie to increase the flow of sponsorship dollars to waterskiing.
    HortonThan_BoganWishJohnN
  • WishWish Posts: 6,714 Mega Baller
    What @jipster43‌ said. I lied.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,768 Mega Baller
    Vanilla Latte!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • Steven HainesSteven Haines Posts: 914 Solid Baller
    I've tried it but the reality is, if I drink enough water I get as much effect from water as I do out of any energy drink. I do admit though that I like the taste of them! with anything you need to be careful with your consumption. I recently had a friend die from liver failure from drinking too many monster energy drinks, at least that's what the doctor's diagnosis was. it could have been a combination of many things with this guy, he never ever drink water! all he drank was energy drinks ( up to 6 A day) bourbon and pepsi.
  • nam1975nam1975 Posts: 109 Baller
    I'll drink half once in a while. Good pick me up. Caffeine based sodas or energy drinks ( mt dew , coke, red bull etc) just equals jitters. Some of the other energy drinks taste awful.
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 720 Crazy Baller
    I don't really use PEDs for skiing at my level, but I DO tend to use skiing for performance enhancement in other areas of my life. My performance tends to go way up after I ski!
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
    Skoot1123
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 594 Crazy Baller
    I've used 5 Hour Energy a couple times for late night drives and have to say that it works quite well. For 5 Hours. At 5 hours and 1 minute I had to find a place to pull over and nap. Like right now.

Not sure it would help with skiing ...
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,760 Mega Baller
    I don't drink coffee or a lot of soda, so a Dew will keep me up all night. (Not sleeping).
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,533 Mega Baller
    Only coffee for me, or a Mountain Dew if I really need the sugar. Couple times I've had an energy drink I thought my heart was going to explode - and I drink a lot of coffee.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • jerrymjerrym Posts: 45 Baller
    Studies have shown that caffeine improves athletic performance, and it certainly helps me. I prefer red bull or a glass of sweet tea before a set. Of course at my age....
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,726 Mega Baller
    Haven't tried 5 hr energy but other energy drinks in order to stay up and study. The effect 2 AMP's had on me was crazy. I did everything BUT study - basically was bouncing off the walls. It didn't give me the jitters, but I would think that before a tournament the last thing I need is jitters......I'd be nervous enough without the added caffeine!
  • MSMS Posts: 4,282 Mega Baller
    Rounds 2 & 3 require a 1 cup coffee boost about 1/2 hr prior.
    Shut up and ski
    6balls
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,143 Mega Baller
    edited July 2014
    . . . coffee, which has been legitimately proven to be a legal performance enhancing drug--when used in moderation.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... because understanding is better than memorizing
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 1,607 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    As a pro musician, I once tried it before a show when I was beat tired. It made me really sick, to the point of barfing. Our guitar player also had the same experience. I'd personally never touch that poison again.
    Scott Calderwood
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 223 Baller
    Good for staying mentally sharp when a little tired.
  • DustyDusty Posts: 315 Baller
    What's 5-Hour Energy?
    Has opposite effect on me- makes me sleepy.
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,334 Crazy Baller
    Wednesday evening is a regular ski night for me. After a long day of work in the summer heat a little pick-me-up is sometimes a necessity if I'm gonna ski worth a crap. If/when I need that I'll usually just drink an energy drink, really haven't tried the 5 Hour for skiing although I have used it a few times in other situations. When I'm rested it's not an issue.

When your stomach gets done breaking down all the other stuff all you're really getting out of any energy drink/booster is the caffeine anyway. Coffee, tea, Mountain Dew, Coke, energy drinks, what's the difference? They're all just a way to put a little caffeine into your system. If that's cheating I guess I'm a serial cheater.

@nam1975 Monster actually makes several fruity flavors that don't taste bad, more like slightly watered down Kool Aid than anything else. Those I can drink. Don't know how anyone drinks Red Bull i.e., taste is horrible IMO. There are decent tasting energy drinks out there, just gotta try a few.
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,418 Mega Baller
    5 hour tastes like crap, coffee tastes good.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,154 Mega Baller
    5 hour energy tastes completely terrible. My opinion has always been that it works (either tha nasty taste wakes you up or it actually does the job) but all it does is wake you up. I've never noticed "performance enhancement"
  • Mrs_MSMrs_MS Posts: 265 Crazy Baller
    I usually drink MS's coffee! Lol
    I sure love those T-gas ads and videos though :)
    I ski for fun, just the wife!