Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So happy I did not go to regionals

HortonHorton Posts: 25,186 Administrator
If anyone has a results sheet please mark me down for 2.25 @‌ 35. I did my Regionals ride at home yesterday. If I had gone to Colorado for that score I would have been pretty unhappy. Now that I think of it the worst I ever skied at a Regionals was in Colorado. 1984 or 1985. Maybe next year.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Comments

• GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    See you in WA next year........
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,186 Administrator
    @GOODESkier‌ I won overall last time I skied regionals in WA. Hmmm

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    Next year will be my first Regional..... maybe Texas is in my future next year.
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
    DmaxJC_ski
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,459 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    edited July 2014
    Forget Regionals scores (I'm trying to). After the tournament I had a great time at the Sanitas Brewing "street fair" we stumbled across in Boulder. Good music, good food and I especially enjoyed their black IPA.

It's never just about the skiing. Fun people and an interesting adventure make it worthwhile.

Eric
    Ed_Johnson
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,466 Mega Baller
    We withdrew from Regionals because my son got hurt but the Eastern Regionals are going to be really cool this year in Lake Placid on the lake they awarded medals on during the 1980 Olympics. I couldn't justify the time off and the trip with my son not skiing (although if I was skiing better I might have gone out for a day to ski).

For me Regionals are about skiing my best and seeing friends I am still not good enough to podium or qualify for Nationals.

I can certainly understand why Horton wouldn't go to Regionals in Colorado with a new baby at home.
    Mark Shaffer
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 985 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I skied the worst I have skied since last regionals! But, CO is a decent destination so had a great week with the family.
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,172
    Skipped regionals to bring my two boys to camp. Hoping schedules line up better next year
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
    Steven Haines
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,459 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    Now I'm having second thoughts. After waiting 4 hours for the delayed flight home, I finally got to board. Then they canceled the flight and shooed us off the plane. Rerouted via Sacramento (maybe I can catch a ride there - no, my bags with skis are going some other way) I'll get home Tuesday. An adventure. This has been a tough Regionals for me.

Eric

PS I hope Morgan recovers from the food poisoning she got at the street fair - and I don't get it.

This is not an insomniac post. Airport waiting areas suck.
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,211 Crazy Baller
    Hi have skied in three regionals in Colorado - '92, '09, and '14. I have never made an opener in CO. I don't know what to make of this.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    No @OB. If you skied at home the same day as your regionals evert & you called it your regionals ride & you went straight up the rope off the dock & you skied super good you then kick your self for not going to Regionals.

On the other hand if you did all that but ski terrible you get to pat your self on the back for good fortune.

Yes I know it is ridiculous.

rico
  • schroedschroed Posts: 156 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Colorado definitely skis differently than California. My son seemed to like it and set a PB at his first regionals! With my son skiing on Wednesday and me skiing Saturday I had the opportunity to ski two practice rides. The first one felt terrible. Greg Badal told me to "ski every pass like it was a tailwind". That advice helped and my second practice ride went a bit better. During the tournament in M3 @Horton 's boat with Bob Hardeman driving felt awesome. Hardeman is the man driving those Centurion's. Judging by the scores I think our group may have gotten the best ride of the tournament with that boat, driver, and perfect conditions. Congrats to Dan Lafavor for winning his first regionals. He put up a big score of [email protected] and made me nervous on the dock. I thought I had him going into 2 ball at 39 only to see the handle going down the lake with my hands not on it at the end of the turn. Thanks to everyone at Laku. My family had a fun vacation to CO.
    Joking aside I do know I am missing a lot by not going to Regionals and Nationals

• ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 778 Crazy Baller
    5 week old baby trumps all.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
    Than_BoganSkoot1123
    ProAM and Dawgs are way more fun if you are a single event skier.

[Deleted User]bishop8950
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,399 Crazy Baller
    After 7 years of skiing tournaments, I finally decided to go to Nats this year just so I can say I experienced it. Its not too often us Colorado folk can drive to both Regionals and Nationals, and since my daughter is going, I decided to go as well. Just booked a house on the San Marcos river in fact.

@jimbrake - Sorry about your opener. Were you able to get in any practice rides prior? If so, how did they go? The water at Laku is a little different and takes some getting used to. Since my daughter is a member there, I get to ski there more often than most...BTW- I really enjoyed chatting with you on Thursday. See you at Warman next year?
    Hey @Marco. Yes, got a practice set and a site fam ride, so six passes total. I think what @schroed said that Greg Badal said is correct - ski it like a tail wind. Water is fast yet so soft in the turns. I just never felt balanced. My fault - not the lake's. Fortunately it didn't bother my kids and they skied well.

Was good chatting with you, too. I still say you win the "best waterski/snowski set up" category. Maybe some of the Vail and Sun Valley, ID peeps are in a similarly good setup. Yes, we'll be at Warman next year and hopefully nats, too.
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,399 Crazy Baller
    @jimbrake - Glad to hear your kids did well. Steamboat has a pretty good snow/waterski set up as does Sweetwater Ranch, which is in Dotsero, about a half an hour west of Vail.
    If Colorado had an ocean coastline it would be perfect.
    Marco
  • ggincogginco Posts: 100 Baller
    @jimbrake Keep it quiet but no ocean is the key that makes Colorado perfect... Thanks for supporting the Region and making the trip out!

I hear restaurant service in Colorado is awesome since the new pot law was passed

• MarkMMarkM Posts: 100 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Congrats to Dan L and Schroeder!

Bruce_Butterfield
  • schroedschroed Posts: 156 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Thanks @MarkM . It would have been fun if you were there as well. I hope you get better soon and are back for next year.