coaching please!

mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 283 Baller
Ok, so I am working on my posture and i know i have a long way to go. This video is 34 mph and 22 off. I run it 75% of the time but its usually pretty rushed.
My main question is, am i letting up too early crossing the wakes. When I'm skiing, I don't feel that I am but
I watch the video and on my offside lean i fly up over the wake and get pulled straight to the ball.
Any comments besides posture. I promise I'm working on my posture!
Matt

Comments

• WishWish Posts: 6,685 Mega Baller
    edited August 2014
    Just before this pic your looking down the 246 line. But shoulders are turned to the boat. BTW you do a great job keeping your eyes level. At this point you have drifted inward 3-4 feet closer to the wake. Keep the ski tracking forward. Do not feel you have to keep your eyes looking that way. Your shoulders and hips need to be. This will stop the drift. Another time as to why I think looking down the 246 is kinda a waist of time. You initiate the turn in for the gates with your head first, shoulders second, hips knees etc...last. Hips go first with the ski, then on up the body. With the head/shoulders going first, ski is behind you, weight shifts to back of ski..not balanced and not stacked. Your having to wait for the ski and your core to catch up. This is a symptom of the start in for the gates.

You do let up early an it is right here. But body is out of position (symptom) and it may just be a defensive move. You do not let up early through the rest of the course.
    By the time you get to the trough, your ski is almost flat and gets air born.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    crashman
  • mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 283 Baller
    Wow! Thanks so much @Wish‌
    I will definitely work on these things.
    Matt
    Zman
  • ZmanZman Posts: 943 Crazy Baller
    Nice job @Wish‌ Probably fair to say we all work on at least some of what you pointed out routinely.
    Blood type IPA
  • WishWish Posts: 6,685 Mega Baller
    Me too.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,750 Mega Baller
    @mbabiash So that's what nice water looks like! @Wish may have covered this but get up further on the boat.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Wish
  • nzcabbagenzcabbage Posts: 53 Baller
    Hey @mbabiash‌......I am no super skier, just another bloke that spent last season down here working on much the same pass you have posted. I am lucky enough to have had some coaching from some great skiers and find my efforts being refocused on the gates.......gates, gates, gates just ring in my ears. So, here is what I see in your video from the pullout to 1 ball. If this helps you get around 1 ball so that when you come back on it you feel your shin or thigh clip it, you have a great head start to your pass.
    On your initial pull out you load the boat so much that you can hear the engine increase RPM to recover speed (I assume the Malibu you are behind has Zero Off). This boat speed recovery continues to happen during your glide and could be contributing to you being dragged in as @Wish‌ mentioned, so try pulling out earlier, softer and longer so you are invisable to ZO, then in your glide, stand tall on your front foot, rotate your hips and shoulders to 11 o'clock.....keeps you square and gliding down course. Your turn in is harsh so you end up loading early, so by the time you get to behind the boat the load is so great you start to get seperated. What I have been told (and it worked for me) is roll in gently with the goal to generate as much angle as you can through the gate. As the angle builds, so will the load and you accelerate through the gates gradually instead of like a F15 of the deck of a aircraft carrier from before the whitewater line.
    I hope this makes sense and gives you a great start to your pass.......keen for yours and anyone elses feedback.
    If you're not out there doing it - you're missing out!
  • 2tracmind2tracmind Posts: 49 Baller
    You mentioned you are working on posture. How tight is your back boot ? Many skiers at your level are limited in their ability to stand forward on the front foot with the hips up because their rear foot is not able to move. I was unable to improve my posture until I changed my back boot
    (one size larger than my front) allowing some movement of my rear heel that resulted in my hips moving forward. A Horton tip is to straigthen the back leg so it matches the flex in the front which moves the hip forward (hope I got that right)
  • mbabiashmbabiash Posts: 283 Baller
    Back Boot is fairly tight I can certainly barely lace it tomorrow morning.
    going to really work on cleaning up my offside