Tried a trick ski, and boy is it slick...

usaski1usaski1 Posts: 643 Crazy Baller

Hard to tell if I could get better on this... this trick ski has no grooves on the bottom at all.. just 100% flat. Whats the biggest trick ski out there?
Mark Turner -- Water skiing changed my life forever.

Comments

• klindyklindy Posts: 1,910 Mega Baller
    45"x11-7/8 is the biggest from D3 (new). Rumor has it that Masterline may be able to make something slightly bigger soon.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,838 Mega Baller
    I am pretty sure D3 will custom make a bigger ski. Particularly if you call and explain why you want one. I bet Ron Goodman could make on also.
    Mark Shaffer
  • klindyklindy Posts: 1,910 Mega Baller
    The sizes I noted above are what I was told (at nationals).the max can be for a rubber edge trick ski.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,032 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    That ski doesn't look bad for you! Definitely not too slick. If it feels too sticky, lengthen your rope and speed up. Pursue that trick setup for a while.

Your fundamentals look good. You need a bit more discipline. Link tricks together. Stay within the spray lines - even for double wake tricks (be more progressive in your wake approach so your maximum attack angle happens at the base of the wake. This will allow more angle and control so you get float time to throw a trick). A flip or two does not look out of the question with the right wake approach.

A lot of fun awaits you!

Eric
    Bruce_Butterfield
  • usaski1usaski1 Posts: 643 Crazy Baller
    Thanks.. I often take the line of "if it isn't instantly better, its totally junk" Single wake backs / fronts were eluding me last night. I like how quick I could be on it, but never felt real stable on it... I was going 17mph.. and then 20mph for the double wake jumps. Getting up on it was tough, and the drag on my arms much more, as it has much less surface area. The awsa rules state that the width can't be more than 30% of the length for a trick ski, but have no hard line size rules... so presumably, you could do like a 80 inch long and 20 inch wide ski. not that it would be good to trick on, but you could, according to rules.
  • ktm300ktm300 Posts: 362 Baller
    Mark, could you please post a pick of your slalom? I got to watch, for the first time from the boat, some guys slaloming. One of them joined our club. Although this was new to me, I could not help thinking "his ski sucks". Even when he held an edge through the wakes, the ski would bounce twice between the second wake and the buoy. His ski was completely flat on the bottom. Looks like yours is catamaran style using two regular skis? If he'll let me, I want to try his ski just so I can get some idea of how hard it is to ski it. I am certain we can come up with something better than what he is riding. Thanks
  • usaski1usaski1 Posts: 643 Crazy Baller
    @ktm300‌

Andy Mapple already is interested in doing something, but Im always interested in designing new ski's with anyone.

Texas6Bruce_Butterfield