I totally miss jumping. This is the dark side.

HortonHorton Posts: 23,516 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

chris_logan

Comments

• skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,080 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I totally don't miss it because of the dark side!
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,619 Mega Baller
    I totally miss the ramp -- just like I avoid any other giant obstacle in my path!
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,673 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    The wife still stares longingly at the jump ramp in the distance when we go to 3 event tournaments. After 3 knee and 2 hip surgeries I've told her she's done. It's all fun and games until they roll you into the ortho's office.
    HortonBrady
  • chris_loganchris_logan Posts: 349 Solid Baller
    @MrJones you know the saying, "Go big, or go home from the hospital." There's actually some truth in that...
    Always looking for a pull... Will you be my boatdriver?
  • 94009400 Posts: 553 Solid Baller
    The farther you go, the more you miss it and the darker that side.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,516 Administrator
    I never crashed much. Was alway proud of that.

Still wreaked both knees.

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,912 Mega Baller
    I'm sad that I'm considering selling my Stiffy Longboards
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    @richarddoane‌ time to grow up my friend

• jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,145 Crazy Baller
    @richarddoane‌ - how long, how much, how soon?
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,286 Historical Baller

Yup, I miss it too. Somewhat self-taught, which is a very dangerous thing. Although Joe Cash
    helped me immensely over Spring Break 1964 at his place in Sarasota. RIP Joe.

One of these days, I just want to take one rideover and ride away, to show the jump ramp that
    it didn't win.

Had lots of bad luck, but some good. About once a year, I would get a cut on my head,
    whether from a ski tip or binding nut. The people at the hospital were convinced that I was
    a bit of a nut case. Probably so. But, if I had been participating in a traditional sport like
    football, I doubt that it would have been an issue.

Strangely enough, my best jump distance in M2 came at a Nationals. 1974 at Callaway Gardens,
    after working hard to just qualify. Seems that they pretty much did a very approximate setout
    of the jump course. As in the 500' buoy was set around 530', maybe more. First jump, after
    the countercut, I stalled out and stalled out and put down a shortie. By the way, I was the
    bottom seed out of about 27 competitors.

Next jump, I compensated, and likely over-compensated. Didn't panic, but I was later than
    usual. Went a distance that was my best by 7 feet, and which stood up for a lot of the event.
    Even bested the top seed, but then he was a leftie and had his own special challenges. Had
    I known that I was 10 feet short of the winning distance, and with one jump left, I might have...

Oh well, enough for fantasies of could-have-been. Hope this makes an interesting story that may well match some of the memories that you people have out there.
    jipster43
  • KrleeKrlee Posts: 462 Baller
    @jimbrake I'm selling my 90" Connelly's if you are looking for something for Hayden. Would make you a killer deal if interested. He could grow into them. :)
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,912 Mega Baller
    @jimbrake - 90" Goodmans, about 4 years old, $1000. with Binders and Cozies, you pay freight
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,838 Mega Baller
    I saw that video and wondered of anyone landed jumps at that tournament. There were a lot of major stacks.
    Mark Shaffer
    I think there were also some huge jumps.