1998 Ski Centurion

slvrbulitslvrbulit Posts: 157 Baller
Does anyone have any insight on 98 ski centurion Elite open bow boat? How are they to ski behind? Any problems I should look for?

Comments

• skibummskibumm Posts: 106 Baller
    What are you looking at it to do? Recreational or deep course running. I am assuming you are talking the eilte Direct Drive not V-Drive. It is not the best wake for skiing by any stretch of the imagination. It was produced more of an all around boat. Can you ski it in a course absolutely but you will not get as deep as you would with a pure slalom tug. The construction is very similar to what they are doing today with once piece topdeck/interior put onto the hull. There is not wood in the boat and should not have any issues. Most likely has a Merc Black scorpion which can have an issue with vapor locking but can be taken care of with a little work. All in all it would be a very good all around boat but not great for any one water sport be it skiing or wakeboarding.
  • SDNAH2OSKIERSDNAH2OSKIER Posts: 290 Baller
    My cousin had one and I skied behind it a couple of summers. I can only recall that I thought it was DA bomb back then. I don't recall her having any issues but I wasn't around it in the off season. I would agree with the above comment that it is probably not the best wake, but if you can get a price/condition combo you like, that is really what matters IMO for a boat this age. As an idea, we just sold a 99 Bu LX sportster that was in very good conditon and low hours for 11750.
    Doug Roberts San Diego, CA ski rating: 2 balls
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 421 Crazy Baller
    I have been in a couple.....it's a good overall boat, great for family use and some course skiing, the hull is a stretched and widened version of the Eclipse which was a tournament caliber boat at that time......(kind of like how Malibu took the LX and made a 21' Lxi). Lots of storage and fairly solid overall, just didn't sell that well as V-Drives were starting to take over. Make sure there aren't any stress cracks or signs of abuse and you should be good, I have only seen the Merc Magnum MPI Skier engine in the this boat, a Scorpion would be a nice upgrade, can probably get it for a nice price.
  • Stephen BondStephen Bond Posts: 5 New Baller
    It will definitely be better then what slvrbulit and I have been skiing behind. We just got back into it after not skiing for 15 or so years. Go for it slvrbulit .

• gregygregy Posts: 2,400 Mega Baller
    I have a 99 Malibu Response Lx. its an open bow and has great slalom wake. I think at low speeds its better than the current models. If you can get a really good deal on the Centurion then OK. I paid 14.5K for mine 3 years ago and its was in really good condition. 98 and forward RLx had the diamond hull that was more desirable in 99 they upgraded the interior.
  • slvrbulitslvrbulit Posts: 157 Baller
    Thank you for all the information. It will be a family type boat used for free riding in a open lake. A marina is sellin the boat for the owner, asking $14,900. Its the end of the season up here so I made a offer of $12,000. We will see what happens.
  • RAWSkiRAWSki Posts: 421 Crazy Baller
    That will be a perfect boat for what you described. $12K is a reasonable offer. I just took delivery of my 3rd Centurion thanks to @Horton‌ ! Good Luck
  • slvrbulitslvrbulit Posts: 157 Baller
    Brought home my 98 ski centurion this weekend. Hopping to get a few more weekends of use before it gets put away for the winter.
    Joepruncoldjeepusaski1Bulldog
  • usaski1usaski1 Posts: 678 Crazy Baller
    Really liked the Falcon back in the day.. I know you got a different boat, but I wanted one bad in the 90's.
    Mark Turner -- Water skiing changed my life forever.