Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to Trakker pylon mounts?

BudgeBudge Posts: 3 New Baller
I've been trying to buy a Trakker P4 camera mount for a friend, but I can't find them anywhere. Did the company go out of business?

Comments

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,078 Mega Baller
    wakevideo.com used to be their website - looks dead
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,545 Administrator
    @Budge‌ look at Wakeye. Next Gen stuff. Works better than trakker ever did

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• BudgeBudge Posts: 3 New Baller
    I've seen the Wakeye, but it's REALLY expensive. At least $350 shipped to the US, not including accessories for different types of cameras.
    edited September 2014
    The tracker stuff was around that same price. We've got a P3 or P4 in the LXI
    Chuck P
  • skibummskibumm Posts: 106 Baller
    Build your own. Easy to do and cost me less than $20.
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 373 Crazy Baller
    edited September 2014
    @Budge
    Not sure where you are getting that number. For a normal camera mount (1/4-20) it is $267 shipped. Just priced it out. That not any more expensive than a Trakker and this product looks MUCH better.

My question for those that have this kind of thing. How do you use your shock tube with it? It looks like I wouldn't be able to have my shock tube installed and use the Wakeye at the same time. That is a little bit of a sticking point for me. I have had some pretty powerful sling shots in the last few years.
    oldjeep
    edited September 2014
    With the P3/P4 the shock tube is attached to the rope holder on the mount instead of the pylon. (so it is behind the camera mount). Although now that you mention it, we haven't had a shock tube on the boats in years.

The wakeye has an optional shock tube mount that you use instead of the rope mount you see in most of the pics
    http://www.wakeye.com/collections/water-ski/products/wakeye-xtg
    Chuck P
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,245 Mega Baller
    edited September 2014
    @BrennanKMN, I've used my Wakeye with the shock tube. I had to put the strap for the shock tube over the pylon before putting the Wakeye clamp on. I have had a lot of issues with my Wakeye and have not gotten any good video with it yet. A couple of issues were related to my camera, but the Wakeye has also had some problems. I expected more than I am currently getting. I haven't taken time to finesse my use of it, because I give up fiddling with it and just ski.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,545 Administrator
    edited September 2014
    @MISkier‌ odd. I believe you but have never heard anything but glowing reviews of Wakeye. Love mine

For a less expensive option try Ski Doc

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• klindyklindy Posts: 2,102 Mega Baller
    @Budge‌ we've got a Trakker we'll probably sell to you if you're interested. PM me for more info.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,329 Mega Baller
    a friend of mine bought the wakeye for a small ipad and the swivel section got loose and sloppy within a week so they sent him a replacement swivel. when that one also got loose he had a machinist look at it. the guy said it was poorly designed and ended up rebuilding it ' the way it should have been done to begin with '. it came with a factory ipad mount but maybe the rest was too light duty for the ipad -now he says it works fine.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,245 Mega Baller
    Some problems certainly may be user error. However, in one case, some of the hex screws holding the carbon "legs" together had loosened. In other instances, the camera screw loosens, which also seems related to the threads stripping out of the bottom of my cheapo camera.

One thing that happens with a camera with a flipscreen, a little snap of the rope at hookup can shut that flipscreen and turn the camera off. Swiveling the screen around and closing it so the camera continues to operate fixed that issue.

I can't help but wonder if it works better with a phone than a traditional video camera.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,973 Mega Baller
    No complaints about my Wakeye.
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,452 Mega Baller
    I bought my Trakker from Miami Nautique year or so ago, but looks like they don't have them listed anymore. I like it. I like how easy the Wakeye can be removed though.
  • BudgeBudge Posts: 3 New Baller
    Brennan, would you mind letting me know where you got that price? I need the model for wake boarding, which may be different than the one for skiing. Thanks.
    bigtallweed
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 373 Crazy Baller
    edited September 2014
    @budge I was pricing out the model for a ski pylon, not a tower. It looks like shipping is $30 for international. So, for the pylon mount it is $246 + $30 = $276. I guess if wanted a tower mount it would be $370, which I agree is quite steep.
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 279 Baller
    I believe miamiskinautiques.com has some trackers left....???...worth a call
  • jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,400 Crazy Baller
    Our Wakeye had a few loose screws after the first day of use. After tightening them once they've remained tight.
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,053 Baller
    I had a trakker mount. Piece of junk. Don't waste your money..
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot
  • acmxacmx Posts: 228 Baller
    I Have A First Gen Trakker With A Custom Built Rope Arm That Works Great.
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,208 Mega Baller
    My Trakker 4 is marginally better than my Wakeye, but the Wakeye is easier to move boat to boat, and is a sponsor of BOS, both making Wakeye the pylon mount of choice in my book.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    The older Trakker had a more convenient mount (could be removed without a wrench), but I think the newer ones were more secure. Never had an issue with it aside from bending it once when a tube rope snapped - bent it back and it was fine.
    Chuck P