Centurion for tricks? Heck Yea!

HortonHorton Posts: 24,600 Administrator
One of the things the cynics say about Centurion is that the trick wake is not up to par. Last weekend we had a 3 rounds trick and 3 rounds of slalom (Class L) in Bako. We used my blue Centurion for Trick all day Saturday and Roberto Eddie’s red one for slalom all day Sunday. I was very happy to hear at least 2 of the MM trickers say Centurion is as good as or better than the other three boats on the market today.

@eleeski went on to explain how he would change it with "water wings" or something …. Yea yea but ask him what he thinks of the current boat compared to the other 2015 tournament boats.

Speaking of tricks=> I tricked a PB of 3420. Ok not a lifetime PB I would have to do three 5s and a flip to get close to my scores from 20 years ago but I am still pumped. I think I can get to 4k with a few practice rides. Never getting to 5k again. Don’t care enough.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

andjules

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 24,600 Administrator
    .... I just got a text. The W6 trick record was broken (pending I guess) and the M4 record was missed by a whisker. Yes behind my Centurion.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

Bulldog
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,307 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    I'm pretty sure it was an area record for W6 not the National record. Still good skiing for Merry.

The boat may be our best choice right now but all the new boats suck for tricks. On a positive note, I guarantee that I can preserve the same slalom wake and make a good trick boat (also better for wakeboarding and surfing). All I need is a manufacturer to believe me...

Eric
    TylerR
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,861 Mega Baller
    Am I to assume there is some rule prohibiting using a sack in the rear of the boat to adjust the wake? I don't really hear about people complaining that you can't wakeboard behind a modern DD. Does the trick ski require something special for a wake - only seen it done once, kind of weird to watch for a first timer.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,307 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    @Tyler There are technical reasons why the new boats cannot yield a good trick wake. Desirable slalom wakes are opposite what makes a good trick wake. The new boats have been designed only with slalom in mind and the trick wakes are the wrong shape to start with. Only the skills of the skiers keep us tricking behind the new boats.

@oldjeep‌ Weight amounts are limited by rule. The new boats would need so much ballast as to affect the handling and performance. Have you ridden in a fat sack laden wakeboard boat? They barely get up on a plane and turning around - forget it! And the shape will still be inferior. My experiments with weights in the new boats have made only tiny differences in the wake shape. Ballast to balance is about all we can do.

I have a clever idea that can do both but it is not a simple fix and needs cooperation from a manufacturer.

Eric
    edited September 2014
    @eleeski Well, I own a boat with 4 tanks and a wedge. Can't say that I have ever experienced not being able to plane or turn. However, you don't need much if any ballast or the wedge in a V-drive to do flips on the wake. The only tank I really use is the bow tank, and that is for slalom skiing.
    Chuck P
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,498 Crazy Baller
    3 Eventers. When possible try out the Gekko hull - GTS and GTR - and let the Ballers know.
    edited September 2014
    @ALPJr For someone in MN I'll bet it would be pretty easy to try one out. I've only seen a bunch of skiing behind them - Mark O seems to be out every time I'm over skiing with my brother in-law. Cool looking boats, it always looks like they are sitting on it rather than in it.
    Chuck P