Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why we ski.

ColeGiacopuzziColeGiacopuzzi Posts: 379 Open or 55K Rated Skier
Why do we ski? Curious to hear everyone's individual reason. I know for me I get lost in it, something that I love to do that steps me out of the real world and into a place of pure fun, almost like a drug, it's addicting. Whether someone runs the course for the first time or runs 39.5 off, that feeling after you do it just never goes away and sticks in the back of your mind all the time, and it's about refining your craft from that point on.
Cole Giacopuzzi • Radar Skis
Than_BoganSkoot1123eyepeelerGaryWilkinsonMillerTime38ShakeskinikandsteveBuoyhead69

Comments

• GaryWilkinsonGaryWilkinson Posts: 289 Baller
    I crave the combination of high exertion, high speed and high intensity.
    I hyper-focus more than any other sport that I've done. How many sports do you know that puts sooo much intensive work and technique into 16 to 17 seconds.

Awesome!
    I need to ski back to the handle obviously.
    chrisroddy
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,568
    Its keeps me healthy both mentally and physically and helps me maintain my sanity. I think everyone deserves the feeling of running a good short line pass, sadly a lot of people will never know the rush.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

• 6balls6balls Posts: 4,882 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Love being on the water, in a boat, and behind one.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    Texas6pacobraindamage
  • ricski39ricski39 Posts: 80 Baller
    ....it's the only thing I know how to do...
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,994 Mega Baller
    it completes me....
    sunperchJaypro
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,043 Mega Baller
    edited September 2014
    @Colebrah While there are many reasons that waterskiing is the sport for me (and I may get to that in a later post), I think you really hit the nail on the head. In fact, we often discuss at work, where eyes normally roll at the first mention of water skiing, that you really have to something in your life that is a COMPLETE change of focus. Something that forces your mind to empty of all that usual junk.

This "reset," if you will, seems to be pretty key to a happy life. I claim it even has the desired long term effect when the short-term effect is throwing your ski halfway to the shore!
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    ColeGiacopuzzi
  • skirayskiray Posts: 173 Baller
    It's cheaper than "therapy."
    Ron Ray
    gsm_peterBrady6ballsDragin88
  • skier2788skier2788 Posts: 688 Crazy Baller
    1. Few things in life are a new accomplishment for an adult. When we are kids we are always accomplishing new things.
    2. Skiing friends. The people I ski with are just as big of a reason as skiing itself.
    3. Like others have said I get away from all the work problems even if it is for 16.08 seconds at a time
    Travis Torley
    akale15Shakeski
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,018 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    cause chicks dig water skiers;)
    Scott Calderwood
    Glydonbraindamage
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 984 Solid Baller
    Uninterrupted family time.
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
    Hallpass
  • bogboybogboy Posts: 694 Baller
    What many said above. Exercise, keeps you young and fit, great friends, a challenge, I love boats and the water. And the mrs. and I can be together, especially when we free ski.
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,406 Crazy Baller
    In addition to many of the items mentioned above, it is one of the few sports that people of all abilities can do together at the same time. A person working to get up to their max speed at -15 can be in the boat getting ready to ski while their friend is working on -38. It is not like snow skiing, where expert skiers enjoy difficult terrain while intermediate skiers must stay on the easier parts of the mountain, separated from their more skilled friends.
    MaryTee
    @Marco Take that a step further: At least in snow skiing you can do "parallel play" (to use the slightly silly early education term). A sport like volleyball is almost unplayable unless all of the participants are of very similar skill level.
    @Than_Bogan Funny you mention volleyball. I played indoor and sand volleyball for decades at a fairly high level, and was going to use that as an analogy, but didn't know if people would relate to it.
    Than_BoganUWSkier
    @Marco Yep, I loved volleyball. But these days I actually avoid it. The whole game just makes no sense if even one person is at a significantly different skill level than the others. Oh, and "casual" players seem to get upset when you spike it off their face...
    SkiJayMarco
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,121 Mega Baller
    @Marco - if you are doing the snow ski equivalent of slalom skiing (Nastar, beer league, etc) then everyone is on the same course on the same hill.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    @oldjeep - Very true. That didn't come to mind because I rarely ran gates. Too much standing around for my liking. Spent my snow skiing career in the steep and deep here in Telluride, which is known for its expert terrain.
  • crashmancrashman Posts: 722 Crazy Baller
    Many of the reasons above bust mostly because I'm addicted. I get high when I do it, I go through withdrawal when I don't, as soon as I'm done I'm thinking about when I'm going to get my next fix. I need to do it increasingly more to get the same high. I've spent a ton of money on it. I'm willing to risk my body for it. And to justify the addiction I keep trying to get others- even my family members- hooked also.
    slalom addiction triggering irrational behavior
    Skoot1123BradySkiNGurlShakeski
  • adkh2oskieradkh2oskier Posts: 130 Baller
    Skiing is such a rush, either in the course or just free skiing for miles down the lake. Speed, acceleration, deceleration, G-Forces plus a great workout, what could be a better way to stay in shape? Skiing at 28 and 32 off feels to me a lot like snow skiing down a nice steep groomed pitch making big GS arcs. For me it just comes down to the Need for Speed, as many others stated, it is an addiction, no doubt about it.
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Addictive. Saw a course the first time at age 32. Had never released the handle in my life to that point. I was amazed that anyone could actually run 15 off at 36. Over the years I've learned a lot and kept getting better and still have so many guys whose skill and determination astounds and inspires me to keep getting better. What a great sport filled with great people.
    Jim Ross
    BradyTexas6
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    I took an almost identical picture last week. So cool!
    Jim Ross
    Texas6
  • WBLskierWBLskier Posts: 430 Baller
    All of the above...and one of the very few sports where it is reasonable to expect to be better at age 45 than 35.
    oldjeepTexas6Shakeski