Does carpet dye work

ToddFToddF Posts: 453 Baller
Has anyone had success with carpet dye on their boat. My stains just keep coming back no matter what i do

Comments

• skier2788skier2788 Posts: 652 Crazy Baller
    @ToddF‌ I tried it and my feet were red for half the summer. It just kept bleeding. Maybe a better dye but I doubt it.
    Travis Torley
  • ToddFToddF Posts: 453 Baller
    @skier2788 that is good to know, I never thought about the bleeding part.
  • skier2788skier2788 Posts: 652 Crazy Baller
    @ToddF‌ part of the problem we had was all the soap from using rubber boots in the boat. Carpet looked good but once it was wet and add a little soap it was red everywhere for most the summer. After it was done bleeding most of the fade had returned.
    Travis Torley
  • foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 399 Solid Baller
    For tough stains take a white terry cloth rag. A bowl or bucket with water and dishwashing liquid. Soak the rag in the liquid. Wring out rag. Put rag over stain. Take a hot iron and iron the rag with a lot of pressure not moving too much till almost dry. And repeat as often as you have to. You will see the stain lift into the rag. It takes a while because you have to do small areas at a time. But I have gotten stains out this way that nothing else would get out.
    2000 Malibu Response LX 2016 66 lithium vapor
    schaferToddF
  • Pat MPat M Posts: 524 Crazy Baller
    @foxriverat‌ What do you use for general rug cleaning?
  • foxriveratfoxriverat Posts: 399 Solid Baller
    I usually use regular home carpet shampoo in a spray bottle and scrub brush. I learned the iron trick when our 25 year old moved out. She spilled a bottle of red Mikes hard lemonade on the light carpet in her room and never cleaned it up. I tried everything to get it out. Thought I was going to have to replace the carpet. Took me about an hour with the iron. It was a large spot. But it eventually lifted out.
    2000 Malibu Response LX 2016 66 lithium vapor
  • BradyBrady Posts: 1,057 Mega Baller
    This is a similar question to the dye thread, but if your carpet is looking rather shabby, what are the best approach in either replacing it completely, or a small section. I am curious if I choose to replace it, can I put in snap carpet, or do I need to fully replace it all with permanent carpet?
    I ski, therefore I am
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,208 Crazy Baller
    @brady - usually the subfloor beneath the carpet will be pretty uncosmetic - its not necessarily set up to be visible, so a snap it probably wouldn't look so good.

We have a boat with snap ins and the whole floor is gel coated w/ raised texture (which has to be scrubed with a toothbrush or it looks like crap.
    Brady