Toe trickin' Turner!

usaski1usaski1 Posts: 681 Crazy Baller
Well.. here's a new one... I think I pulled off a toe trick today.. side slide.. Im not the first disabled person (paraplegic) to do that, but there aren't many... (maybe one other one?)

Mark Turner -- Water skiing changed my life forever.
rabMattPToddLWishjcampPorkfightSkoot1123A_B

Comments

• liquid dliquid d Posts: 895 Crazy Baller
    awesome! reverse next!
  • usaski1usaski1 Posts: 681 Crazy Baller
    edited October 2014
    I went out there thinking.. "yeah... I'm going to do a SS / R and B / F" and reality had other plans for me... it was WAY tougher than I thought. I also learned that putting my foot in it while I was skiing was way tough... getting up with it already in was the way to go. much more practice needed! The middle pic is an almost successful ss. I was using my right hand in the water like a rudder to get more drag and make the board turn away from the boat. Neat trick that kinda worked.
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,368 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    Very cool Mark!

It looks like your board has too much drag for toes. Can you dig up a wakeskate board that is completely flat and not too rockered? However slick normal tricks feel, toes need to be slicker to transfer enough power. And you need extra.

Getting up in the toe harness is very common. More common when a wrap is needed. Make sure you have a very good release person.

Eric
    The funny thing is Eric, when I tried that regular trick ski this summer, I felt WAY more drag than on my wakeboard. perhaps the rails on the wakeboard are creating the drag.. I can edge on it pretty good. I haven't hung up tricking on a regular trick ski, but I'm crazy unstable on one, and would never try toes on it at the moment!
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,368 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    The best disabled tricker I knew used a kneeboard cut down to be legal. Maybe try a kneeboard and if it works then cut the edges to specs. Learn on the stock kneeboard first.

A trick ski is probably not your best bet. I can see your board's rails and grooves in the photo. There is probably a lot of drag from those. I did grind everything off a wakeboard to make a flat bottom - that helped a lot. You have a unique situation and will need a lot of experimentation. Have fun.

Eric
  • skirayskiray Posts: 173 Baller
    edited October 2014
    I once had a CWB board that was slick on the bottom. (Before molded fins) it was yellow and red with a dragon on it. Spun like a top with no fins. It might make a great trick ski for you. I will see if I can track it down.

Looked like the CWB Vibe with different graphics.

BTW - awesome to see you continuing to push forward and advance. It is inspirational to all skiers!
    Ron Ray
    edited October 2014
    Its hard to tell if I can become good at toes... its such a struggle to get the board around on toes that I just don't know. I sure thought I could do a toe side, reverse, and back, and I thought it would be easy... it was anything but. Let me know if you find that board, I'll toss you some bones for shipping or whatever. I'd love to pull off a toe trick or two at the AB nats... someday. If I qualify again!
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,220 Mega Baller
    On toes you need to have the rope in close to your body and stay centered over the ski to get the ski to spin easily. If your rope leg is out straight away from your body your weight winds up back on the ski and makes it hard to turn.
    Mark Shaffer
    Good tip... I'm all kinds of funky body position on that side slide!
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,703 Mega Baller
    Mark, just keep the physics in mind... You want sufficient surface area to support your weight. You want your weight COM centered at the pivot point of the board. With your harness, your COM is positioned differently than a standing trick skier. Also, rails support edging/tracking, but smooth bottom skis supports spinning.

I suspect that your trick ski attempt was with significantly less surface area than what you are used to with your normal trick ski setup. Thus, you may have felt that as unstable. Further, it was likely harder to edge due to no rails. I think if you could obtain the largest allowed trick ski and mount your harness such that your COM is centered, you will find some tricks much easier to perform.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.