OB4 Systems unboxing

HortonHorton Posts: 23,681 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

MattPJJVDMZNBulldogmmosley899chris_loganE_TThan_Bogandanbirch

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,856 Mega Baller
    How do you think the stiffness compares to the Vapor boots?
    Mark Shaffer
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,577
    edited November 2014
    I was very encouraged to see the main plate is as flexible as it appeared...I expected it to be thicker and much less flexible and would hinder the skis flexibility.

Personally, I would liked to have seen it with the new Roxa Hardshells but will be looking forward to the testing phase.

Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,379
    I agree with the comments about stiffer bindings not always being equal to better skiing, I think once you get to a certain point there is certainly the potential to amplify problems when boots don't forgive slight skier errors enough. I'm at the point now where I run my rear boot pretty loose which allows plenty of movement, I can lift my heel in it easily. Looking forward to this product review.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

• HortonHorton Posts: 23,681 Administrator
    @Chef23‌ idk. Need to ski in them

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,632 Mega Baller
    To no one's surprise, it was a long learning curve for me to transition from decades of rubber boots to a bleeding edge shell system. I estimate about 2.5 months to reach a true comfort level.

It was absolutely worth it. The OB4 System is a fundamentally safer design than any other commercial binding system. It may have already saved my ankle and/or ski in the two cases where I had a release, and I have no doubt that it will grant me an extra season some day.

If you are serious about safety, shell out the cash and take the time to set up the best binding option there is.

@Horton I don't know if the tension instructions have been updated. The starting point should be the "ft-lbs for release" number is 30% of your body weight in lbs. That and other handy tips can be found in my guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M3z1wtYSyhHVQGdpaH_UOD2dEW0jhYlMHtD0eoizspg
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    thor_64Jrbeeks
  • BrennanKMNBrennanKMN Posts: 305 Solid Baller
    It was great to see this, I am really excited to hear what you have to say about how they ski.

I know I will be getting OB4's on my next ski - just have to make some choices about which boots.
  • lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 295 Baller
    Really looking forward to this review. I've mentioned in a previous thread that I've been trying out the OB4's and my experience with the increased responsiveness/stiffness is definitely a love/hate (I have the Roxas). Horton rides a lot of skis - but with the same bindings (I assume) so this will be a great test.
    Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
  • JJVDMZNJJVDMZN Posts: 127 Baller
    edited November 2014
    Got the OB4 and Hardshell for the wife and she loves it.

My/Our Green Machine, with the OB4 System, my son (RFF) and I (LFF) are sharing the same ski.

MattPmmosley899Than_Bogan
  • danbirchdanbirch Posts: 301 Baller
    @Than_Bogan Would this system's release lb's pressure be different when the ski is flexing (i.e. would flexing it tighten/jam it more)? I noticed that they tested it always with a flat ski. Thanks!
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 408 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @danbirch the amount of compression of the spring from ski flexing would be insignificant and in most falls you would have already released the pressure that is flexing the ski. As with most other systems, the skier must determine the best release setting for his skiing ability. The least pressure setting that you can use without causing excessive releasing is best. @Than_Bogan can attest to how stout the spring is...
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
    Than_Bogan
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,885 Moderator
    edited November 2014
    I look forward to hearing @Horton's thoughts on the system. Y'all can read my review here. @Than_Bogan‌ has some lengthly comments on the system as well.. but we all know he thinks too much.
    Horton
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,577
    Simple question..If you are trying a new ski and need to move the bindings, do you have to remove the 2 sided tape, front and rear, and replace it every time you make an adjustment ???
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,885 Moderator
    @Ed_Johnson‌ Yes, it is only placed in the front under the release mechanism. I was working on an adapter plate back in the Summer and test a version. I need to work on it again. This plate would be used instead of having to drill in new inserts or replacing the tape overtime. I do not move my bindings usually so the tape option works good for me.
  • fox197fox197 Posts: 95 Baller
    Im really impressed with the OB4 release system. Now just waiting for someone to release a boot with boa lacing.