Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Return of Advanced Topics

HortonHorton Posts: 25,325 Administrator
edited November 2014 in Site Info & Instructions
Advanced Topics threads are a little controversial around here. I plan to start one in the next few days so I thought I would take the time to re-explain the logic.

The idea of an Advance Topic thread is to limit who can post to skiers with undisputable knowledge. These skiers have been vetted. Most of them have scores and knowledge far in excess of mine. I will re-edit who is in the group before I start the next thread.

When we (I) ask them a question the answers will be more distilled and unencumbered by off topic comments or peripheral comments and questions.

The result I am looking for is better information for all readers. Some of you HATE the idea that there is a section of the web site that is segregated. You have questions and you want to contribute. I get that. Sometimes you just have to trust me.

Think of it this way: Most of the time the forum is like a cocktail party. You can mingle and ask anything to whoever you meet. You may or may not get good answers but you have fun. The smartest guys might stick around or might not. With an Advanced Topics thread all the smart guys are talking among themselves and you get to listen to the deeper & more detailed answers.

One more time: The goal is more insightful and distilled answers from skiers who really know what they are talking about. The idea is to generate better content for all of Ballers.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

MattP[Deleted User]SeanSkiJayrockdogTylerRWacryno65jmvana1ski6jonesjerrym

Comments

• markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 868 Crazy Baller
    I will admit i was a little offended a few yrs back when these topics first started and as usual i opened my big mouth and voiced my opinion. I like the idea of advanced topics and look forward to reading them regardless if i participate or not (personnal progress). Great job @Horton with running and maintaining a great site for all of us ski junkies!! Thanks keep up the hard work. BTW your video on the blue Vapor looks awesome!!!
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,217 Mega Baller
    @Horton‌ - All my knowledge is clearly disputable, so please let me confirm that you will leave me of the list of skiers who can post. I will gladly read only.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,228 Crazy Baller
    Sounds good to me. I'm not offended because I know I don't know.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,325 Administrator
    @jimbrake‌ thanks. I had forgotten you were on the list. If it makes you feel any better I will be essentially read only also.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

• GloersenGloersen Posts: 780 Crazy Baller
    Solid concept.

Should be > or = Level 9, something similar, or at least > 85th percentile ranked as contributors; the forum needs more bona fide content aimed at gaining buoys (imho).

If threads can be initiated by the GP and if merited (moderator discretion), perhaps propagate to "Advanced Topics".

• markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 868 Crazy Baller
    @Horton i disagree with you leaving yourself out on these. IMO you have great knowledge of the sport, technique and your scores reflect it. Besides you will need to moderate
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • MSMS Posts: 4,839 Mega Baller
    Cocktail party? I will have a Sweetwater IPA please.
    Shut up and ski
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,024 Mega Baller
    I consider myself borderline in these things. I'll try to be relatively quiet, but also will be in-no-way-offended if you decide to remove me from the group.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • colo_skiercolo_skier Posts: 766 Solid Baller
    Is there a quiz for membership? Just joking.. If anybody is offended that they are not invited to participate in the party then they miss the point of the party. Not expecting an invitation by the way, would like to be able to read the contributions though.
    Not sure I know what I am doing. The boat goes I follow. Trying to perfect the deep water start. Squirrel!
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 489 Solid Baller
    I like the idea, most of us know our limitations I'm assuming?
    edited November 2014
    I have been asked for the test....

A score into 39 in a tournament is the current test. I guess I will have to allow @Than_Bogan‌ to use math and stuff : )

• mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,329 Mega Baller
    i've known a lot of really really smart guys including many with doctorates and some who made a career of engineering things like mechanical and electronic components for the nasa space shuttle. one friend even holds more than a dozen patents in the medical industry. not only would i never claim their individual or combined knowledge to be ' indisputable ' i'm pretty sure none of them would either.

those guys are certified experts in fields that have a lot of factual data seemingly carved in granite. meanwhile you can talk to any 3 different world class slalom skiers and get as many as 3 entirely different opinions on various aspects of slalom physics. round bevels -sharp bevels -lots of rocker -no rocker -rough bottom -smooth bottom -wide tail -narrow tail -one guy even cut a big trough under the bindings! its going to be very interesting to see what gets deemed ' indisputable knowledge '.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,024 Mega Baller
    edited November 2014
    Pretty sure the idea is it's indisputable that these guys HAVE some knowledge. Knowledge itself is always disputable.

And wow do I have nothing to add to the newest A.T. thead. Not sure I even understand the question.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    Horton
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,711 Mega Baller
    Fundamentally, I'm ok with this as long as the rest of the users get to sit in and "listen" to the discussions. However, ability to "do" isn't always a prerequisite for knowledge. Further, just because someone can perform at a high level doesn't mean they know why they can or how to describe it. I think there are likely very highly insightful contributors who may not be skiing into 39. I also suspect there are some who can ski into 39 who can't explain to another person how they tie their shoes.

My point? Just that I think membership into the advanced topics should be more subjective. Don't limit it purely by a convenient rope length. @horton, add a few industry leaders into that group per your judgement.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,546
    Participation based on the assumption of knowledge based on a ? metric. Nice. It might be an idea to run parallel threads so skiers that are not quite elite can have their own discussions at the same time.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

Skoot1123
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,551 Mega Baller
    edited November 2014
    My only issue with it is the inability for us mortals to ask questions for clarification in the Advanced Topics threads. Sometimes I read something I don't understand and I don't have a mechanism to ask about it without starting a new thread.
    Mark Shaffer
    drewski32
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,973 Mega Baller
    @Horton‌ what if a thread was run parallel to an advanced topics thread to feild questions?
    ozski
    knock your selves out

Ed_Johnson
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    I feel like most of the "advanced stuff" is massive overkill for 99% of skiers.

I also know there are pros who most other top pros consider to be horrible coaches. Just because you can perform on the water doesn't mean you can coach, and vice versa.
    TylerRDanE
  • brodybrody Posts: 298 Baller
    i like it and look forward to reading and learning more
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,217 Mega Baller
    edited November 2014
    Would it be OK to talk about trailing arm, heel side, pinky pressure and handle angle at the point of release vision stack? 'Cause that is what I'm working on.
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
    Than_BoganGaryWilkinsonWish
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,842 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @jimbrake that's funny...I like it when stuff catches me off guard and I can't help but truly laugh out loud.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    klindyeleeskiWish
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,082 Mega Baller
    @6balls - precisely my thought when I read @jimbrake comment!! Yours made me laugh a second time!!
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
  • DragoDrago Posts: 1,155 Crazy Baller
    @jimbrake‌ : none of that stuff matters if you're breathing out of the wrong eyelid
    SR SL Judge & Driver (“a driver who is super late on the wheel and is out of sync”)
    Wishozski