Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skiers Elbow Patch - When Not Skiing Is Not An Option

Just thought I would post picture of the strapping I am currently using to ski through a bl&%#y elbow / tendon injury. I had a three finger rip on the handle about a week ago and its caused some serious aggravation to the inside elbow where stuff hooks up. I was able to ski ok with strapping from the wrist to the elbow but running it from the palm to the elbow works a whole lot better. Its the start of our season so rest is not an option. Curved handle is on the way - thanks Brenda from In Tow!

'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski - KD Platinum

A_BBrady

Comments

• SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    @ozski‌
    " . . . rest is not an option." I love it! Is there anything else in you life that you'd so willingly put up with so much pain for?
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,616 Administrator
    Take time off
    Looking for a healthy snack? Try SuperFat

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

MattPRazorRoss3
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,334 Mega Baller
    Listen to @Horton‌. If you keep at it hard then skiing your whole season might not be an option. May be better to rest short term than be out for significantly longer later in the season.

On a different note, I like the creativity. Duct tape seems to be able to fix just about everything.
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,819 Mega Baller
    edited December 2014
    Take a look at / search for posts from @A_B and @cragginshred‌ on elbows.

I use a radius handle and the green one of these:
    http://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/comment/141185
    (see also the video that gregy reposted a few down on this poll)
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,329 Mega Baller
    @ozski -i bet you would enjoy it more after skiing if you shaved your fore arm before taping.
    DragojayskiHorton
  • DWDW Posts: 2,010 Mega Baller
    audio for the untaping?
    HortonBrady
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,533 Mega Baller
    A fatter handle and/or Clincher style gloves will provide some help. Also, if you can flip your grip from right palm up to right palm down, or vice versa, however you hold the handle, that will help a lot. Also, if it is really bad, a cortisone shot in the elbow will get you through the season. Platelet rich plasma therapy (PRPT) is a great off season solution.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,651
    Thanks everyone. For now the tape seems to be doing its job, its not getting worse but I will be the first to put my hand up and say I'm wrong if it does. I think the advice to take time off is the best solution but my skiing calendar has a couple of important dates on it between now and the end of the year. Besides that if I stopped and rested every time I hurt then I would never get to ski. Removing cloth tape from a hairy arm is interesting and would probably make Chuck wince.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski - KD Platinum

• mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,329 Mega Baller
    @ozski -when chuck pulls it off the tape winces.
    gt2003
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,314 Mega Baller
    I hear you are skiing into -38 like this. Maybe you an post your taping technique for the rest of us that try ;)
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent
    ozskiBrady
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,651
    edited December 2014
    :smiley: Well it sort of works like a clincher that pulls from your elbow... Maybe there is a product in this, just need to work out how to fit in some zip ties now. And yes the tape got me into -38 today!

MISkier
  • bbirlewbbirlew Posts: 172 Baller
    Prototype for the Goode power grip?!