Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Practice does not count & everyone runs 41 on the Internet

HortonHorton Posts: 27,617 Administrator
edited December 2014 in News & Other Stuff
a conversation today:

Horton: "how are you skiing on that ski you trying?"

Unnamed -Elite skier: "1 1/2 at 43"

Horton: "holy crap you should let me leak that! Brand X ski company would be so stoked"

Unnamed -Elite skier: "nope not until I do it in a tournament"

Horton : "that is no fun"

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

Comments

• IlivetoskiIlivetoski Posts: 1,185 Crazy Baller
    Is this our cue to start guessing who it is? I guess Brian Detrick!
    skidawg
  • dthatedthate Posts: 142 Baller
    On the V-hype.....sorry type
  • skidawgskidawg Posts: 3,281 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Gotta be heavy D
    Mr. Mom is Horton's favorite movie!
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,334 Mega Baller
    It's sad but true, the phrase "I do it all the time in practice" is borderline meaningless. I'm definitely guilty of saying it as I get out of the water in line with the 5 ball at a tournament.
    Horton
    I agree with @moggie I just dont agree that practice does not matter/ is frowned upon when talking about scores. If we are always talking about tournament scores 99.999999999999% of us arent really talking about the true level of skier that we are. While I am not saying that we need to be cocky about our skiing ability, we should definitely be able to say "I am a skier capable of getting into 35 off" if we can run 32 off and get into 35.Thats just the truth. I understand other things come into play like if you ski at a site that never hosts tournaments your course may not be quite in spec, or boats if you cant ski ZO or whatever. The point is that at the end of the day you are physically capable of getting to a certain pass, and that should not be sold short because you didnt have 2 of 3 people with walkie talkies confirming that you rounded a certain number of balls.
    Moggie
  • Pat MPat M Posts: 675 Crazy Baller
    @MillerTime38‌ I have seen the same thing. Someone tells me that they have done such and such in practice. Then I ski with them and I say to myself, 'there is no way that guy runs such and such ever'. Unfortunately they are only lying to themselves. If you are not honest with yourself you will never improve.
    Than_Bogan
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,617 Administrator
    @Moggie‌ any time any of us ski really good in practice we are happy about it and should be. This topic has been contentious in the past. On other sites in years past there was a lot of BS about skiing level (everyone runs 38 on the Internet) - I do not think that is the case around here at the moment & it sounds like you are pretty gounded. Congratulations on the new practice PB.

I was just sort of bursting to leak this news and then was humbled when the skier said to keep it on the downlow.

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

dvskierjimskiMoggie
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,239 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    From this prospective, promoting a product, I totally agree it only counts in a tournament. I'm not sure where I stand on the ongoing discussion on PB's only counting in a tournament? I get it, if you ski tournaments. I haven't to date, so my insignificant PB, in comparison to you guys, from practice is all I have.

With that said, in my 15 years of alpine ski racing USSA, my training performance didn't vary much from an actual FIS race. Nor did I care in the slightest if a guy skiing the occasional Nastar race tried to compare Nastar with FIS. I guess I just don't know why anyone cares if some wallys claim they can run shortline on the web? It has been a hot topic from time to time.
    Scott Calderwood
    @andjules‌ not very diplomatic but may be accurate

andjules
    @swc5150‌ my practice PB and tournament PB were 4 balls a part for 3 or 4 years. I think this is typical when a skier is just on the verge of running a new pass

• BradyBrady Posts: 1,076 Mega Baller
    edited December 2014
    Skiing a practice set and subsequently getting a PB is akin to a golfer out on a course on a sunny afternoon and playing either alone or with buddies and shooting a new best round. That is very different compared to shooting that same round in a tournament setting. the pressure turns a 5 foot putt into a monster-looking 15 footer.

Yes PB's are important, but it is much different when it truly counts. However if you are a hack like me when it comes to skiing, I will take all I can get and you can bet your ass I will take every inch and allowance to get a new PB!!! But that is like saying to the dude who just broke 100 on the course.....good for you!!!
    I ski, therefore I am
    scotchipmanHortonRichardDoane
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,417 Mega Baller
    @swc5150 The biggest difference is that in snow ski racing it only matters how you do against everyone else on any given day since the courses are never the same twice. No such thing as records in ski racing.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • adkh2oskieradkh2oskier Posts: 150 Baller
    Maybe I'm lucky or just different from most, all my pbs have been at tournaments. My course may be off a bit so I always find tournament courses to be easier than the one I practice on.
    @millertime38 I am a skier who can sometimes run 32 off out of the boat, and other times it takes me 2 or 3 tries. If what you are talking with skiers not running a pass then going to the next pass is happening, I completely agree that should not count... Thats not how you get to the next pass. BUT, lets say it takes me 2 times to run 32. then I go and get [email protected] I got all 6 buoys at 32 off. That is running it. So it counts. Being "capable" of running a line length means that you are "capable" of getting an entry gate, 6 buoys, and an exit gate in a course that is within tolerance and a boat that is within time. End of story. I did what I was supposed to do at the line length, and if I were to replicate what I did on THAT pass in a tournament I would advance to the next line. I really dont think it matters if you run a pass your first try or your second or third. You got 6 buoys. Therefore you are capable of again.
    Moggiedoonez
  • DmaxJC_skiDmaxJC_ski Posts: 346 Solid Baller
    I can run 41 feet.... Then I have to stop for a corona and have a nap...
    MattP
  • swc5150swc5150 Posts: 2,239 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @oldjeep‌
    Agreed, however in FIS you are seeded by points based on historical finishes against your peers (pretty standard stuff). In timed training, I, for the most part, would finish the same against my peers as I did in actual races. This was the norm, regardless of course or mountain.

I'm just saying that using my personal history as a reference, I don't think my tournament scores would vary much from what I run in practice. I do know my scores wouldn't impress anyone on this site:) I'm also a professional musician, so maybe it's just that I'm used to pressure and watchful eyes?

Always an interesting discussion, but in the end, I just personally don't care if a keyboard commando or wally claim they can run a certain pass.

Now to JH's point, if one were to promote a product based a PB, it better be in a sanctioned tournament. Back to my alpine analogy, no one ever qualified for JO's via training runs.
    Scott Calderwood
    waterskicorey
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,118 Mega Baller
    edited December 2014
    @Ilivetoski‌ - I had to disagree because you have to go "up the line" in sequence for a score to count in a tournament setting. Having a couple tries at your hardest full pass is not an option in tournament scoring.
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    Brady
  • MoggieMoggie Posts: 105 Baller
    @richarddoane, if someone asked you what score are you capable of skiing, what would you tell them?
    A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office.
  • BradyBrady Posts: 1,076 Mega Baller
    edited December 2014
    @Than_Bogan‌
    but can you run it in the rain,
    or would trying that make you insane.
    You could lie, but that would then make you so lame.
    You can you can run it today
    Stay stacked stay tight hear what I say
    Make sure your settings are a okay
    The ski gods might let it happen your way
    Then you can post on ball of spray!!!

I ski, therefore I am
    MoggieWishRichardDoaneThan_Bogan
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,651
    edited December 2014
    We don't all ski for the same reason but if I run it behind a 200 with ZO in practice then I'm happy to take it. When you start to say "tournament only" then you have to define what a tournament actually is from one place / state / country to the next... Ok so it has the be RC to count? I enjoy the hell out of my good practice sets and try to learn from the bad ones and maintain my grin because I can still ski often. If you ski well in practice but tighten up and don't ski your best in a tournament you can still ski well. Be proud and don't let anyone take that away from you. Just keep smiling and be happy your on the water.
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski - KD Platinum

MoggieRichardDoane
    @richarddoane I am not saying that they would count in a tournament. What I am saying is if you can run the pass, you are not bound to run it the 2nd or 3rd time every set. If you can run it means you DO have the ability to do it out of the boat thus in a tournament.
    RichardDoane
  • RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 4,118 Mega Baller
    @moggie - I was pretty stuck at 1 @ 39 this past season, but hope to get deeper this next year
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 1,119 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    "Practice PB" = tournament format off the dock score with legit driving IMO

"Tournament PB" = self explainitory

What you run after several cracks at it or any non-tournament format is still important and interesting to know, especially if its the only time you have run a pass or something. I also remember things like the first time I ran a hard pass back to back or 3 times in a row. Badal sometimes goes 32 and opts to 39 in a stiff tail off the dock. If I pull that off I am sure I will remeber that as well. I think all this stuff is great/memorable/valid but fits a different meaning to me than "PB".
    BradyHortonSteven_Haines
    I will say it again. We all are pumped with a new Practice PB and we should be. Once the rope starts getting short things like boat path and the exact measure of the rope are a HUGE deal so when you throw down a big score at a tournament it is certified.

Couple of years ago I thought i was getting mid 39 and I did not understand how I was skiing so good. Rope was not even close to right length.

Moggie
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,651
    I have an InTow rope and handle...
    'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski - KD Platinum

• GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    Every time I get to ski is the BEST regardless of if it is PRACTICE or TOURNAMENT. I had 2 tournaments this year where I ran 38 in practice, behind a certified driver, on a surveyed course, on the tournament boat the DAY/NIGHT before the tournament.............. I am capable of running 38 in a tournament. Just hasn't come to reality yet...... Can't wait to be dancing with @richarddoane‌ in 39.5 and keeping us both on our toes. Nothing better than working together to advance the buoy count!!!
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
    BradySteven_Haines