Dual lock issue. Bad lot?

Has anyone ever gotten a sub standard lot. of clear 250 dual lock? I have been using dual lock 250 clear for years and never never had an issue with pre release. I recently taped a plate and a Vapor and a Helix. Every time I had a good pop when assembling them but as soon as I would come off one ball I would hear the tape releasing on both skis. I am sure it's not me as I would hop back on my xt and ski with no problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 4,100 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Nope. Do you have any pictures? Do the skis have any slightly raised inserts that the Dual Lock is covering? If so that will create a release point. Is the Dual Lock adhering to the ski?
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
  • AndreAndre Posts: 1,008 Crazy Baller
    Velcro is great!
    I have some on my gloves!
    ;)
  • PAskierPAskier Posts: 17 Baller
    Do not have any pictures, skis are down south. The Helix does have raised inserts, I did not tape over them. The Vapor inserts are flush with the ski. Dual lock is adhering to the ski and plate.
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,343 Mega Baller
    I had early releases on my Elite that were as you described until I added enough tape on the ski and plate.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • ski4xtcski4xtc Posts: 175 Baller
    @PAskier, I saw the same thing last year with a Helix. I am guessing it is coming off the ski verses the plate? I think it is the surface of the ski. From what I saw, the dual lock will just not stick to the surface of a Helix. Would be interested to hear of anyone who has made it work.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 26,358 Administrator
    Tape is coming unglued from the ski or the tape on the ski is releasing from the tape on the plate?

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly • D3 • DBSkis • Goode • Hobe Lake • HO Syndicate • MasterCraft 

Masterline • O'Brien • Performance Ski and Surf • Reflex • Radar • Stokes

• PAskierPAskier Posts: 17 Baller
    Tape to tape is failing. On the Helix I removed the sheet of binding protector. Note I cover just about every square inch of available surface with tape.
  • Eric KelleyEric Kelley Posts: 260 Crazy Baller
    IMO the 250 is awful. My family and I had multiple injuries with the 250 and prerelease. You can go to 250/400 or 400/400.
  • CReckardCReckard Posts: 23 Baller
    I also have had prerelease issues, as well as having 250 split. (Velcro side splits from adhesive side)
  • skialexskialex Posts: 783 Crazy Baller
    If you are experienced with Velcro and it works well on your XT, chances are that it might be the Velcro, not the ski or anything else. I have seen this happening to a friend with clear 250 dual lock and the minute he changed to black 250 pre-release issues stopped.
  • skialexskialex Posts: 783 Crazy Baller
    Mixing 250 with 400 or 400 with 400 is a recipe for injury if you are using powershells and Velcro as a release mechanism. It is a good idea if you have a ski with no holes and you are using the powerplate, with rubber boots or hardshell with mechanical release in order not to drill the ski (I have done this but nowadays I prefer to drill and put inserts instead).
  • londonskierlondonskier Posts: 190 Baller
    @PAskier Sounds like you have a bad lot. I use 250 to 250 on a Vapor with Powershells. I find the clear easier to remove so I use that. If the tape is staying stuck to the ski and stuck to the plate, it must be a bad lot. The raised inserts should not be an issue. I so not recommend 250 with 400. Are you sure you are "pressing" the tape together all over? After a release, I put the ski on a flat surface and stand on it all over. Maybe try switching to clear or black. Post again and let us know how you get on. Lots of us use dual lock so your findings will help.