Heat moldable liners

WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
I have been using Reflex front bindings for a couple years. Started using the thick padded liner at first with the black shell. After a few months I decided to try an intuition liner. I molded it a few times trying to make it fit better without pain. I did get it molded comfortably and securely but could never get a very good stack because it virtually removed all ankle flex. I switched back to the thick liner and finished off the season skiing much better and more consistently. Last year I swapped to the white cuff Reflex shell and stayed with thick liner.

I've been doing a lot of snow skiing with intuition liners this year and have learned that the way the liner is molded makes a huge difference. For those who have success with intuition liners in waterski boots, how did you mold the liner?

Comments

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,337 Mega Baller
    I haven't had them in waterski boots, but with the ski version it is pretty hard to get them to mold correctly yourself with the home kit. The bag full o/rice doesn't work nearly as well as the heat blowers that the shops have.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • Lieutenant DanLieutenant Dan Posts: 195 Baller
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    @oldjeep Yeah I didn't do the rice thing. I used the oven method but I did find that it was pretty easy to get the liner off centered or creased. Took a few tries to build in adequate space for ankle bones, bunions, etc.

@Lieutenant Dan That's how I formed the waterski liners and it sucked. I don't know what it is but I just can't get that liner to flex very well. The liner bulges like a fat girl in a tube top. Maybe there is just too much material and I need to cut some excess off.
  • londonskierlondonskier Posts: 190 Baller
    I just used the intuitions straight out the box, no problem. It takes a few sets but then you get used to them. I just replaced my 3 year old liners and there is a difference, so it seems they need to be broken in. I used to use reflex, the thinner liners are better IMO.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,337 Mega Baller
    @londonskier - you used heat moldable liners without molding them??
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • londonskierlondonskier Posts: 190 Baller
    @oldjeep _ yes, The Intuition liners felt perfect from new. Not the case with Reflex liners, they definitely needed shaping.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,801 Mega Baller
    The stretching was key for me to getting the extra material out of them.
    Mark Shaffer