Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much waterskiing is good for me/you?

Hello everyone,

I’m 44yo, 5’8’’ (174cm), 150lb (68kg). Just started waterskiing 4 years ago at the age of 40. My first year, getting up on one ski was a challenge, but I progressed, as follows:

2011 skied 25 times - completed the slalom course
2012 skied 100 times - completed the course @34mph (55km)
2013 skied 160 times - made 28 off (14m)
2014 skied 140 times - PB 3,[email protected] (13m) & [email protected] in competition
(I never ski more than one set/day)

My waterski progress incentivized me to eat healthier, sleep longer, and exercise daily. I had two minor injuries in 2014 (whiplash and sprained ankle) which set me back a bit, but I want to continue my progress.

On the off season, I workout everyday for 60-80 minutes (a mix of bicycling, circuit training, HIIT, alpine skiing, walking).
Weather allowing, I waterski once a week. During season (May-Oct) I waterski 4 times per week.

What is the ideal training frequency for waterskiing, for both on and off season for someone like me?

Thanks!
SirDukeyandjulesgsm_peter

Comments

• drewski32drewski32 Posts: 206 Baller
    The number of sets per week that you ski should be your age multiplied by the number of years you've been skiing :wink:
    Shakeski
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,366 Mega Baller
    2850 sets a week??? lucky if I get 4 sets a week.
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

DmaxJC_ski
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 734 Crazy Baller
    @Onic Palandjian I have no idea what's ideal for you. But I do want to congratulate you on fantastic progress. That's awesome.
  • DmaxJC_skiDmaxJC_ski Posts: 346 Solid Baller
    I managed 6 sets all of last year... Pathetic.
    Shakeski
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 700 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    It sounds like you have the opportunity to ski frequently. All I would say is listen to your body. If you are continually tired and sore and not making progress, take a few days off. Your body will let you know how much is too much.
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 977 Solid Baller
    If the water is not frozen SKI!!!!
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
    Shakeskijimski
  • rokrok Posts: 30 Baller
    Ski 'til your palms are raw! (Then tape 'em up and ski some more!)
    jimski
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 776 Crazy Baller
    More.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,124 Mega Baller
    I don't keep track, but I'd guess I ski 150+/- sets per year. I am 58, usually ski one set a day, and ski daily May through mid October, with days off pretty much only for wind and rain, plus Florida in winter/spring.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • rfarfa Posts: 221 Baller
    I'm 61 and "quick math" probably 100 sets/year..April - October. Never mind what my body "tells" me...as my friend @Lpskier will tell you, my performances clearly show it's not enough...interestingly, I also started to ski at age 40. Don't remember where i was at 44 but I'm sure not quite where you are...Congrats!
    Rui Afonso
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,124 Mega Baller
    Don't let @rfa kid you. He is awesome.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,177 Mega Baller
    @Onic Palandjian I now ski less and sleep more.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Ummm, as much as you can take. I skied almost 2000 passes last summer.
    Jim Ross
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,172
    And he can only ski for a fraction of the year - dude is a machine
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,459 Mega Baller
    As much as your body can handle. You get more sets in than I usually do in a season.
    Mark Shaffer
  • Onic PalandjianOnic Palandjian Posts: 7 Baller
    @drewski32 I did not quite get your answer. Please elaborate...
    @andjules Thank you!
    @gt2003 My mind often wants more than my body...
    @rfa Let's keep at it!
    @thager lol
  • drewski32drewski32 Posts: 206 Baller
    edited March 2015
    @Onic Palandjian It was a joke. Multiply your age by the number of years you've been skiing. you should come up with a ludicrously large number
  • Onic PalandjianOnic Palandjian Posts: 7 Baller
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 984 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    I take 6-8 sets a week in season, usually on 3 days so 2-3 sets/day. I would like to spread it out more but it's a long drive to the lake. Less than 6 I feel it's hard to maintain the fitness level. Much more and my body starts to feel pretty beat, especially if I am going up the rope.

I hardly cross train in season but think I should. I will try to step that up this summer.

Listen to your body and train smart. If I am tired I stay at longer lines and work on basic things.
  • ShakeskiShakeski Posts: 85 Baller
    As much as you can possibly take (every oportunity to ski) without having your body tell you otherwise. That is my goal every season here on out!
  • melligmellig Posts: 48 Baller
    As much as the body can handle and each year you learn new parts of the body that you need to focus on more to sustain this obsession...
    Shakeski
  • BRYBRY Posts: 572 Crazy Baller
    +1 for as much as the body can handle. 1 set 6 days a week works better for me than 3 sets 2 days a week.
    Shakeski