How old is too old to ski

Cumby85Cumby85 Posts: 34 Baller
I love seeing post on here from guys in their 50's and up. As I am almost at that number myself, I've been thinking, how realistic is it to plan to ski well into retirement (I hate golf)? Obviously you may not be as aggressive as when you were in your 20's, but anyone out there over 50, still skiing with no plans to stop and not afraid to share your age?
Its_Funski6jones

Comments

• lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,818 Mega Baller
    According to Lucille Borgan, you can compete through age 94.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    WaterSkier12
  • MSMS Posts: 4,285 Mega Baller
    Just watch the scores in M5 for the next 10 years. It is going to be a pretty loaded up division in a few years.
    Shut up and ski
  • FatrollFatroll Posts: 181 Baller
    Judy Myers still barefoots in her 70s
    2003 Nautique 206 2016 Radar Vapor 69.5"
    Wish they had a bonus buoy count for increased body fat index
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,413 Crazy Baller
    Jerry Hosner is 77 and just set a new record for his division of 2.5 @ 38 off. I think you can keep skiing for a while if you haven't hit 50 yet...
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
  • ski6jonesski6jones Posts: 645 Crazy Baller
    54 last January.
    Carl Addington, Lakes of Katy, Texas
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,504 Administrator
    I feel 200

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

markchilcutt
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Posts: 2,150 Mega Baller
    Will Be 58 this year. Skied today......Feel like Crap!! But it will get better and better! Just have to approach your goals a little different even more so then say 10 years ago. Be realistic of your abilities and above all make it enjoyable. Now where did I put that bottle of Advil?
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Ed_Obermeier
  • LZywicki1LZywicki1 Posts: 336 Solid Baller
    58 Boat is ready, just waiting for the ice to melt.

• gt2003gt2003 Posts: 619 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Two words: BANANA GEORGE. Looks like he passed away in 2013, RIP George. It says he was still barefooting into his 80's. Looks like we've got lots of years left.
    2016 Radar Alloy Vapor
    cragginshred
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,572 Mega Baller
    Guy I ski with occasionally is in his 80's and still competing
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • Greg LukinGreg Lukin Posts: 87 Baller
    Don Carrington - Father of Geoff if you remember the name - he's still barefooting at 81, my old man is 65 and still ski's with us every weekend - when he isn't playing golf
    6balls
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,838 Mega Baller
    Shirley Coble is 70 I believe and still competing at Nationals and capable of running into 28 off at 30 mph. I know there are people running buoys into their 80s.
    Mark Shaffer
  • ozskiozski Posts: 1,376
    We had this old Pom skiing with us last year, he was 65 running well down -38. The story gets better as he did not start skiing in a course until he was in his 50's ...

Here are a couple of things that help, keep your weight down, stay light and it puts less load on your body. Work on your technique, learn to ski lighter on the line. Consider going to a slightly larger ski if you can make that work. In my case I opted up to a 67 until I got my fitness sorted, now I'm back on a 66.

Cross train to ski. Don't just ski, do other things weights, cardio, yoga, cycling, rowing, run up hills (I do this daily)

Stretch before and after and consider taking a good magnesium supplement.

Lastly your recovery is more important as you age, take your down time.

'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.'' Boat 2005 Nautique 196 6L ZO - Ski: KD Platinum

Ed_Obermeier
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,115 Mega Baller
    If I knew I was going to live this long, I would I have taken better care of myself.
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
    ski6jones
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 833 Mega Baller
    Never give up, never surrender!
    Patience is the key to Joy.
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,784 Mega Baller
    59. Ski till you die!!! Too smart to play goff!!!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • bassfooterbassfooter Posts: 131 Baller
    There are many people who ski well into their 70s and 80s. I just turned 55 and I've never skied better nor had more fun learning. I'm getting back into competition after 28 years away. Great times ahead!
  • skinonstopskinonstop Posts: 18 Baller
    58 and still going strong !
  • DaveLemonsDaveLemons Posts: 263 Solid Baller
    Turned 50 last year. Best season ever. No plan to stop any time soon
    davestaxidermystudio.com
  • skeeskee Posts: 9 Baller
    Gonna be 61 this spring. Ran buoys last May for the first time in my life. Working my way up the speed ladder to 34@-15. Broke my fibula in August (stuffed the 3 ball). Bought an interest in a Malibu over the winter. Now working out hard and getting ready for Ski camp in NC in a month. STOKED!!!
    Ed_Obermeierjcampgsm_peterJaypro
  • DmaxJC_skiDmaxJC_ski Posts: 341 Baller
    watched ed fisher at wildhorse pass in phoenix last Easter Run 22 off @30mph and he was turning 80.
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 619 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Agreed @BRY . Age is only a number for those who wholeheartedly believe it!
    2016 Radar Alloy Vapor
  • thompjsthompjs Posts: 511 Baller
    My age minus one day...
  • BRYBRY Posts: 534 Crazy Baller
    I find the number and level of skiing inspiring with the M6, M7, M8 guys. They run serious buoys.
  • BulldogBulldog Posts: 941 Solid Baller
    Ski until you drop!!
    Mike Loeffler - "Someone somewhere is having a real problem today...My bad skiing is NOT one of them"
  • tjmtjm Posts: 256 Baller
    62 and as addicted as ever
    Bulldog
  • Stathis VentourisStathis Ventouris Posts: 74 Baller
    53 and have set new PB goals for the season!
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 849 Crazy Baller
    If it hasn't been done already, someone should do a BOS age poll.