OB4 System in action

JJVDMZNJJVDMZN Posts: 127 Baller
edited April 2015 in Skis Fins Bindings
Thank you @mmosley899 & OB4 Systems!!
My son was skiing @ 58km/h the boots released and no injuries.

Zoomed in

Tagged:
MISkier[Deleted User]mmosley899Than_BoganMattPchris_logandrewski32DefectiveDaveBulldogGreg Banish

Comments

• mrpreussmrpreuss Posts: 130 Baller
    edited April 2015
    Best release system for safety I've ever seen.
    Great stuff
    Lots of torn achilles tendon tears from this type of ski catching the water that way
    JJVDMZNMattP
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,749 Mega Baller
    Incredible video. That's the kind of crazy thing where you can easily get hurt so it's awesome to see the ski just pops off and he slides away. That makes me feel even better about my investment last season to get on OB4.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    JJVDMZNmmosley899MattP
  • JJVDMZNJJVDMZN Posts: 127 Baller
    edited April 2015
    @kfennel, OB4 with double Vapor boots. Note that the ski turned 180 degrees, the ski hit the water sideways tip first, I think he could have had bad injuries if the system did not release.
    You must be very good to ski away from that.
    Its_FunThan_Bogan
  • rfarfa Posts: 214 Baller
    As a very happy to-date Fogman user (12+ years), this video seems very impressive to me. Of course i don't know about the set up (spring tension, etc.) but the release seems very effective and appropriate. Glad no injury. Good job OB4!
    Rui Afonso
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,714
    I would say you just saved "Thousands" in Medical Bills !!!!

Will probably sell quite a few OB4's over that one !!! Good Posting THX
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
    JJVDMZN
  • BlueSkiBlueSki Posts: 463 Crazy Baller
    That may have been a season saving release.
    JJVDMZN
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,132
    Rodeo ride followed by a yard sale
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
    JJVDMZN
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,276 Mega Baller
    double vapor boots -$500. ob4 double boot release system -$850. walking away without a scratch -priceless.
    Than_BoganJJVDMZNWish
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,315 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    @kfennell I agree with you. While not a premature release by any stretch, the fall he took is one I would have been fighting to save. If you stay in, you'd better never give up trying to save it. But you end up with a lot more energy in the fall if you do fall.

Release preferences are very personal - as are tolerances for injury risk. And the type of injury (like flailing ski lacerations vs torn tendons).

OB4 bindings are well engineered and constructed. The philosophy is aimed at the highest release safety and it does a good job of that. They might not be aimed at maximum retention or buoy count at any risk. It's great to have that option.

Eric
    JJVDMZN
    @rfa Be prepared for my 15 minute rambling presentation and demo coming to a tournament near you!!
    JJVDMZN
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    @Than_Bogan Are you on a trip west?
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
    Not in the near future but likely to Portland again this year.
    @Than_Bogan let me know when, I will arrange a ski for us at a private lake north of your destination. You can show me your set up.
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 712 Solid Baller
    GOODESkier, steve I have a set up i can show you I will bring to the pond saturday
    mmosley899
  • DefectiveDaveDefectiveDave Posts: 466 Solid Baller
    Glad no one was hurt!

What was the cause of that fall? I suspect that he let up just a hair early before hitting the first wake and flattened out, but with sufficient speed such that the ski really hopped. Looked like he had a good stack coming into the wash.
    JJVDMZN
    @DefectiveDave, Aidan edgechanged right beind the boat, causing his ski to bounce. He has only recently skiing at 58km/h, so still a novice at that speed.

@kfennell both boots released at the same time, after Aidan and the ski did a 180 and hit the water.

Aidan has a bit of a sore shoulder but other than that no problems.
    I now need to get him a new ski, his Mapple 6.0 is cracked from the fin to 1/3 up the ski :'(
    Cayman2
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,957 Mega Baller
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 472 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Let me point out to everyone that the Vapor boots have been modified to prevent the skier's foot from coming out of the boot. For the OB4 System release to work as intended, the foot must stay in the boot. That said, you can attach most hard shell types of water ski boots. But Not Rubber!
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
    MattPJJVDMZNBulldogBlueSki
    @MattP it had a small crack about 5mm only on the top of the ski from Aidan hitting a submerged solid buoy about 2 months ago, but after the fall the crack was much longer, 1/3 the length of the ski on both top and bottom, two of the 4 fin screws were also ripped out.
    Don't think it can be fixed
    Can't blame Mapple Skis
  • DefectiveDaveDefectiveDave Posts: 466 Solid Baller
    edited April 2015
    @JJVDMZN,

Actually his form looks better than mine, hehe. I only asked because I have been having a similar problem as of late now that I'm skiing 58 km/h more frequently and aggressively. In fact, this Saturday I almost took that same fall but got lucky when my fin caught just before I lost it (no video unfortunately). I've taken lots of hard-ish falls, but never directly behind the boat and that was probably the scariest close call I've ever had.

I hope his shoulder recovers quickly!
    @DefectiveDave 15 year old boys are tough, he was back on his old Elite the next day :)
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,987 Mega Baller
    I did that same type fall in the 70's on a Saucier going to 1 ball. Hurt like heck! Always wondered how it happened. Yikes!!!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 472 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @thager very few people on here know what a Saucier ski is or looks like! I still have a copy of an article Dave wrote about tuning the bevels on slalom skis...
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
  • JordanJordan Posts: 936 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    AHA...old guy alert...one of my old ski buddies had a white Saucier!!!!!!!!!!
    mmosley899
    @Deanoski sounds goode.....
  • thagerthager Posts: 3,987 Mega Baller
    @mmosley899 I have that article around here somewhere too! Still have a pair of Saucier tricks. Couldn't get myself to sell them. Now I feel old!!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 988 Mega Baller
    @thager I have a pair of those Saucier tricks, too. Last year I put a Reflex binding on one to try for fun - an interesting combination. Those skis are not bad... and I am not old.
    Is it time to ski, yet?