HortonHorton Posts: 24,616 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

Tagged:

Comments

• BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,832
    Be interesting to hear your take on the Zen. With the Exchange rate being what it is now, the Reflex skis are more economical than the products from US mfr's.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    @ShaneH What is this word you speak "Economical"?
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
    CWiedmer
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,832
    Cheaper than Goode, HO, Radar, Connelly, etc.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

• Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,132
    They shave down the tip to save a few hundred dollars in carbon fibre.
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
    CWiedmer
  • BRYBRY Posts: 552 Crazy Baller
    Nano OneXT / XTM / XTT $1,940
    Torque T1 / T2 $1,750
    Razor 3 $1,595
    Vapor Lithium $1,499
    H2/Q45 $1,499
    Zen $1,390
    Syndicate V-Type $1,349
    Connelly GT $1,299

@ShaneH less expensive than Goode, Mapple, Razor, Radar and D3. More expensive than HO and Connelly. However I wouldn't say the Reflex skis are "cheaper" than any of them, the ones I have seen looked really well made.

I do find the spread of pricing interesting, Goode still able to command a premium and sell boatloads (literally) of skis. If I were looking for a new ski would definitely have to give the GT a ride due to what I have seen/heard. But my Vapor keeps saving me right and left and right again.... great ski.

• rockdogrockdog Posts: 464 Solid Baller
    How will you attack this review @Horton? Will you roll out the bindings first on other skis before the Zen later?

I think this is a good move by Reflex, the R-style is just not on a lot of people's list of potential new rear binders, this should at least make folks more have a look at it. I use it and think they are a fantastic idea.
  • londonskierlondonskier Posts: 190 Baller
    That ski looks really cool, with the big CF weave. But I am really interested to se how JH makes the transition to the new boots from his customary Vapor's. For me, it can take up to 10 sets to feel comfortable with a new binding. Being used to Dble Hards, anything else feels sloppy and loose on my feet. The R syle is kind of a hard shell, but no support on the rear ankle. So whilst you might have the best ski ever made in the New Zen, you just wont know it because of the new boots. (Also did Horton's dog bite the end off that ski??)
  • HortonHorton Posts: 24,616 Administrator
    I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to work it out but I will not go to new bindings and new ski at the same time

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

countymountie
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,499 Crazy Baller
    edited April 2015
    Good looking ski and bindings. @Horton I understand the theory to not change both ski and bindings at the same time. If I changed skis often I'd probably live by that rule. I get a new ski about every 5 to 7 years. The 5 new skis I've bought over the past 33 years all came with the ski company's top level bindings - EP, Connelly, HO, HO, HO. After a long time on my Phantom I'm getting ready to do it again, and leaning towards a Senate Lithium with dbl Vapors. And if I'm lucky, a couple lessons at Matt Rini's to get the ski set up.
    CWiedmer
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,072 Mega Baller
    @ALPJr the transition from the top HO bindings from the Phantom to the Radars will be easy. I went from Wiley to Phantom with no problems and one of my ski partners went from HOs to Radars easily.

Moving to hardshells is a much bigger issue. When I tried a Reflex from the Strada it took several sets before I could turn the ski evenly on both sides.
    Mark Shaffer
  • MSMS Posts: 4,486 Mega Baller
    @BRY MC ski, $2050 delivered to US. It would be nice if the exchange rate would lower the cost.
    Shut up and ski
  • LarjoskiLarjoski Posts: 3 Baller
    I have had the pleasure of skiing on the Zen for the past 3 years. I won the US Nationals on it a few years ago. The quality and construction of the ski are very good. Just a note: You can order in US dollar on the Reflex USA website http://reflexwaterskiusa.com
    Rup
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 1,692 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Careful on the first gate Horton. When I went from Stradas to Reflex and R style I thought I was gonna die on my first pull out. Leaned over like I normally did on the softer bindings and the ski just took off! Definitely had to tone things down a bit.

I am interested to see what you think about the ski itself.
  • msuwsmsuws Posts: 38 Baller
    Kind of was hoping it was going to be the asymmetrical one... That thing is gnarly looking!
    Horton