Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BallOfSpray D3 Factory Tour - part 2

HortonHorton Posts: 25,174 Administrator

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

Tagged:
Bulldoggsm_peterbishop8950Bruce_ButterfieldMattPeleeski

Comments

• DirtDirt Posts: 1,517 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Very cool. That man has some skills
    I learned everything I know not to do from Horton
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,037 Mega Baller
    ... and some BIG machinery to make a lasting impression!
    Is it time to ski, yet?
  • HortonHorton Posts: 25,174 Administrator
    @Dirt
    The Press guys Tong is a craftsman. Watching what goes on at D3 was really a pleasure.

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

kstateskier
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 664 Crazy Baller
    @John,
    Thanks for posting the videos and to D3 for allowing it to happen. I think most of us would love to take that plant tour too. Dave
    @DaveD all the best stuff is secret. ...

• bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 984 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    As a team member I was able to tour the factory last year when I was in town for the BroHo BigDawg and it did not disappoint. As part of the test team I had a good idea as to what went into building a D3 ski but when I saw the full process and how well the details are managed I was really impressed. I am glad Horton went to see it and that he was able to post those videos.
    MattPHorton
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 664 Crazy Baller
    @Horton,
    Always the tease.
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 660 Solid Baller
    Did I miss something?
    Sorry for the Language.... Hope it is understandable anyway.

Was there any fiber wraped around the edges?
    If not there is only one small rim of resing that glue top and bottom fiber layer together after the edges are cut down to final shape!
    Is that sufficient strong?
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,829 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Never thought D3 gets enough buzz from the community...lots of jazz re: other skis despite having Nate on the team. Serious factory, serious precision, lead by a legend.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    bishop8950
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,329 Mega Baller
    @gsm_peter -in a glass ' envelope ' construction like that the perimeter edge actually consists of all the layers of fabric you saw laminated together into a very strong sandwich that is much more than *zero* thick. the edges of a trick ski are probably tough enough to dent dock wood without hurting the ski at all.
  • klindyklindy Posts: 2,078 Mega Baller
    @mwetskier I didn't pay full attention but maybe it's a rubber edge trick ski?
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,850
    That was a CX which is a sharp edge ski. So I'd think that the top and bottom laminates press together in the mold to form the sharp edge, then the flash is routered off.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

@gsm_peter I am pretty sure most skis (slalom and trick) are not an actual monocoque (full wrap).

• supersonicussupersonicus Posts: 134 Baller
    Thanks for sharing. Part 2 of the series is very peaceful...
    Working on the Denny Kidder interview .... Holy Smoke it is LONG.

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,459 Mega Baller
    It is cool watching him lay up that trick ski he makes it look easy but I am sure it looks that way because of his skill and experience.
    Mark Shaffer
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,459 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    Interesting, my layup is far more complex. But my skis are lighter.

And getting that wallboard texture is tricky...

Eric