Wing - upside down?

pgmoorepgmoore Posts: 195 Solid Baller
edited June 2015 in Skis Fins Bindings
What you're looking at here is a D3 Z7.

Is this wing on upside down? I've never noticed before, but I think it's mounted the wrong way.

Am I crazy? What is the stock orientation for this ski?

If it is upside down, as I suspect, should I change it? Will it matter?

So many questions...

Patrick Moore

Comments

• liquid dliquid d Posts: 1,044 Mega Baller
    That's technically right side up...it's just that everybody turns them upside down. They work better upside down.
  • GlydonGlydon Posts: 224 Baller
    My old '91 Kidder Redline fin was the same way , I am pretty sure Denny knows how to mount a wing however I did eventually end up ditching it as the ski slowed enough without.
  • ralral Posts: 1,697 Mega Baller
    edited June 2015
    I asked Paul Crawford what was the correct orientation, as well as position - in that Z7 you can mount it in two additional positions, one below and one further back.

He said whatever works for you.
    Rodrigo Andai
  • skialexskialex Posts: 784 Crazy Baller
    You can also file the screws that sticking out from the one side of the wing
  • SkiJaySkiJay Posts: 2,274 Mega Baller
    @pgmoore If you are not using it specifically for deceleration (running -28 or shorter at full speed), then you might find skiing easier and more rewarding if you remove it altogether. You can also consider running it at as shallow as 6° if you just want a little less drag on your ski.

Regardless of angle, if you are going to use it, you should flip it over. The lower the wing is on the fin, the more effective it is because it pitches the ski forward more during deceleration. And the more the ski pitches forward, the greater the range of effective wing angles between acceleration and deceleration.

This means a lower wing can deliver more drag for deceleration into the ball without increasing drag during acceleration.
    www.FinWhispering.com ... Your ski should be your dance partner, not a wrestling opponent