67" Or 68"

ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,564 Crazy Baller
I've been on a 68 Phantom for 14 seasons, and a 68 VTX for 5 seasons before that. I'm getting ready to order a V-type. I'm 55yrs old, weigh 170 and am 6'2". My typical set is -15/32, -15/34, -22/34, -28/34 and a few goes at -32/34. The HO sizing chart says 67". I've been comfortable on and like the feel of my 68's. I'll probably have this ski for 10+ years, when I'll move to mens 6 @32mph. Question is 67 or 68?

Comments

• HortonHorton Posts: 25,038 Administrator
    67 for sure

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / Hobe Lake / HO Syndicate / KD Skis  

MasterCraft / Masterline / MOB / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / Reflex / Radar / Stokes

wtrskiorOnside135skihackerBruce_Butterfield
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 982 Mega Baller
    For your weight, I'm with @Horton. I wouldn't even question it. I'm 6'2 190, 195 right now because I'm just now back on my feet, again . I've been asking myself the same question lately. I run a 67 at 34mph and love it. I don't think I need more ski, but just wonder if there is performance I'm missing out on. I used to run 66 when I was around 175-180.
    I'm just now trying to get back in my -28 pass. That just seems like a lot of ski to turn.
    You guys think I SHOULD be on a 68?
  • bassfooterbassfooter Posts: 137 Baller
    +1 for @Horton. At 170 lbs. skiing at 34 mph, I cannot help but think 68" is too much ski. This is based on my recent experience. I too am 55 and I run roughly the same speed and rope lengths as you. I lost a bunch of weight over the winter, and I'm holding steady at 188 - 190 lbs. The only problem was that my 68" ski was suddenly too long, so -- gosh darnit -- I just HAD to buy a new 67" Lithium Vapor. Much better match for my new weight.
  • JuanJJuanJ Posts: 12 Baller
    Same question here, Ive been skiing on a 2013 A3 Syndicate 68" for the last 5 years, before that on a KD 7000 67", but had serveral over the front falls after I returned skiing 6 years ago, a friend recomended a 68" to help this problem.

Now I usually run 22/36, 2x 28/36 and 2x 32/36 and have run a couple of times -35/36. Some times when Im not feeling 100% I ski at 34 mph.
    I weight around 185 lbs, and 6 feet tall.
    I tried my brother´s 2017 Vapor Pro and it felt very good, but another friend recomended to go back to 67".

So 67" or 68"?
    Thanks for your opinions
  • HockdogHockdog Posts: 143 Baller
    Since you will be dropping down in speed, go 68". Better glide at the slower speed, and it's easier to maintain speed after the ball on a slightly longer ski.
    JuanJMike
    What are the advantages/disadvantages of 68" to 67"?
    david_quail
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,564 Crazy Baller
    edited April 4
    I'm 6'2" and moved to a 68" about 25 years ago after 10+ years on 67's. A couple years ago I tried a few different 67's for a season and a half and could not get comfortable. Last year I went back to a 68 and will be sticking with it.
  • AndreAndre Posts: 920 Crazy Baller
    Quoting Andy and Kris LaPoint,
    "Ski the biggest ski that you can turn.
    parkerc2112Bruce_Butterfieldskialex
  • TELTEL Posts: 167 Baller
    This my be a stupid question but I will ask any ways. Is your weight taken fully suited up with vest and gloves wet? I weigh my self normally in the morning when I get up
  • BraceMakerBraceMaker Posts: 2,480 Mega Baller
    @TEL if you are borderline you can consider that to be an excuse to buy a new ski.
    Thanks everyone for your info, I think Ill need to try both.
    I think I’m more than able to turn a big ski, sometimes I over turn...or dig the tip to much.. but for short line I do not know if its better to do a carving turn instead of a smearing turn...and I think a smaller ski might be better for this... I also some times feel fast at the ball but do not know if a smaller ski would help here. Probably I feel fast because I stopped pulling too early... still very confused….