Trick Alternative?

GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
Wondering, can you ride a wake board in a trick round of a tournament? Reason I am asking, is my 6 year old rocks the wake board and I have not found him a trick ski yet....... I know....... But the kid runs 21 MPH in Tournaments, and I just haven't found him a trick ski yet. Only one tournament left this year for him.
2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!

Comments

• klindyklindy Posts: 1,966 Mega Baller
    Wakeboardn is fine as long as you can remove any fins. A M4 skier at the nationals this year used a wakeboard for one pass.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    Is that the rule so to speak? No fins?
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 644 Solid Baller
    Isn't there a rule about ski size?
    Type the ski may not be too wide (must be less than 30% of lenght)?
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
  • klindyklindy Posts: 1,966 Mega Baller
    edited September 2015
    8.03 Skis
    A. Maximum ski width shall not exceed 30% of the length.

D. Trick skis:
    1. Skis used in the Tricks event shall not have fins.
    2. Trick skis with molded rails/grooves less than 1/4" are allowed.
    3. A foot pad cemented to the ski as a place for the rear foot is also
    permitted.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,190 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    Kirk went to his first Nationals as a B1 on a wakeboard. Great to start with.

He looked at the winners and realized that the toe pass wins it. That forced the transition to a trick ski. A bit frustrating in the short term but the advanced tricks are easier on a trick ski. Now it's paid off.

He's pretty good on a wakeboard on the rare occasions he plays on one.

AWSA should encourage wakeboards much more as a gateway to traditional waterskiing.

Eric
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,901 Moderator
    @GOODESkier if memory serves me right the older models of the Ronix Roam wakeboard classifies as a trick ski due to its proportion size. I can double check with my friend that has one.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,999 Mega Baller
    I have an old Hydroslide wake board that my kids used that would be perfect for beginning truckers.
    Mark Shaffer
    My son is 6, he weighs 50 lbs soaking wet, can run 21 MPH on a Slalom Ski, and he needs something to do at these tournaments that offer trick rounds. He has a blast on his little wakeboard. So, if I took the fins off, and the width is not more than 30% of the length........ that works for a tournament this fall?
    eleeskichris_logan
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,901 Moderator
    @GOODESkier yes. I would let the trick callers know his board is considered a trick ski. Also it helps for those calling tricks to know which is his front leg. This is easy to do with flagging tape tied around his "front" leg.
    chris_logan
    @GOODESkier get your little guy a trick ski. Put him on a 41" trick and he will be on it for years.
    Mark Shaffer
    Bruce_Butterfield
    Anyone have a 41" trick ski for sale?
    @GOODESkier I gave mine to our neighbors that we ski with and his girls are still on it. If this ski is still there it will last your son 5-7 years. http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Trick&postid=33843.

My son is still on the 43" version of that same ski and has been on it from 130-175 lbs.
    Mark Shaffer
    @Chef23 Just mount Wiley Bindings to that ski? Was hoping for less of an investment........ ah, it is just money........
    @GOODESkier when my son started to trick I got him a Reflex but he was maybe 8 and bigger than your boy. At that size I would get him a Wiley which is probably what you have on his slalom. That ski will last him a long time.
    Mark Shaffer
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 449 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @GOODESkier my son has tricked on a wakeboard for years and qualified for regionals in B2. A good way to get him started in trick competition. Then encourage him to try a trick ski.
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
    MattPchris_logan
    My son did spend a season on a wakeboard before he got on a trick ski but never competed on it. Given that @GOODESkier 's son is already wakeboarding and running the slalom course he would probably have fun on a trick ski. Try to get him some coaching though. You ride a trick differently than a wakeboard or a slalom ski.
    Mark Shaffer
    edited September 2015
    YES on coaching! He has taken more coached sets this year on slalom than I have! I think that is a good thing.......
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,703 Mega Baller
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.