Reflex Binding Size Issues

osuskiiersheaosuskiiershea Posts: 12 Baller
I just got a size 6 reflex binding for trick skiing with the reflex thin liner. The liner fit great after the heat molding but when my foot is in the binding with the liner on my toes go right up to the shell and the side of the shell presses on a bony part of my foot. I like the idea of a perfect fit binding but don't want it to hurt during my run.

I have thought about trying a size 8 with a thicker liner but am hesitant because I don't want it to be too big.

Any suggestions or experience w an issue like this?

I would like to find a way to may the size 6 comfortable. I have a 10 inch foot. here is their size chart http://reflexworld.com/product/front-single-black-hardshell-complete-on-carbon-plate/ click sizing chart

Thanks!

Comments

• eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,032 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    Waterskiing is not like snow ski racing. You don't need to be right on the shell. Comfort is one of the biggest reasons to use a hardshell. Make that work above all.

You can try adding some foam padding over the side of the shell that hurts. Thin camping mats are my source for this type of foam. Also, adding some foam under the tongue might keep your toes from sliding forward into the front of the boot. For the tongue foam, I use those gardening pads to get a bit thicker pad. A grinder shapes it easily to taper it to the shell. Most hardshells allow a lot of variation with the clips so you might have room for the padding.

The liner/shell relationship is critical. It does sound like your shell is too small for your foot if even the thin liner is too tight. A thicker liner in a bigger shell should address the problem.

For thick liners, I like the aftermarket wraparound style Intuition liner. It is stiff enough foam to transfer loads well, heat molds to your foot and is reasonably comfortable.

Eric

ps Playing with your boots is a great way to understand boot fitting and improve your ability to assess a performance boot. A worthy learning experience.
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 682 Solid Baller
    I have to heat mold or punch every boot I use water and snow. easy fix I like the tigher fit also just move the plastic where needed. simple heat gun with extra padding where the problem is put the liner on then into the shell heat shell where the problem is let cool or dip it water to cool done! take off liner remove padding try on if not enough do mit agian with more padding
    aupatking
  • DanEDanE Posts: 782 Crazy Baller
    I had the side pressing on my bony foot also, I solved it with an insole (from a Radar Strada boot)
    The shell is slightly wider if you elevate the foot in it ever so slightly.
    aupatking
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 769 Crazy Baller
    I agree with @Deanoski as I'm at the absolute top end of Large. I tried the XL and it just felt too sloppy for me. I'm looking for the best energy transfer to the release, and if your foot is sliding in the boot, its not going where the boot is designed for it to go. My Reflex boot/release system saved my leg/ankle/Achilles this Sunday morning when a busted handle caused a violent overturn tip-stuff into the first wake. It hurts but nothing's broken. I broke my ankle, severely, last year in Goode Powershells, in a crushing tip-stuff type fall, where they did not release. I take the manufacturers settings and suggestions very seriously. Having tried both sizes, I'd try them both, but if you have any excess motion, I'd go small, and use the heat gun, so long as you arent changing the geometry at which the boot interfaces with the horseshoe. that little info from @DanE is gold though.