Double Flip

unksskisunksskis Posts: 280 Baller
Who landed/demonstrated the double flip in order to have it approved as a trick? Any details on timeframe, etc? Does anyone know who all else may have landed it?

Comments

• EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,312 Historical Baller
    It has been in the Rules a long-long time. Before there were runs with a bunch of flips, and
    before a lot of the flips done now were in the Rules.
    As a guess, I'd say that it has been in the Rules 20+ years. Another item to look up when I
    get over to the Museum's Sligh Library.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,999 Mega Baller
    I don't think a trick has to be landed to be approved.
    Mark Shaffer
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,190 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    I watched Parks Bonifay land what was billed as the first double in competition wakeboarding on ESPN a decade or two ago. Impressive trick!

Wakeboarding required fins at the time. In his post run interview, he was showing off his broken fin. Still attached to the board but flopping harmlessly. Amazing engineering to make it work like that - certainly not the result of a random dock start mistake. The lesson to take from that is to pull the fins off your wakeboard.

I haven't seen any one do it on a trick ski. But Nick, Jimmy, Alexi or some other kid probably have the skills to perform it.

Eric
  • brodybrody Posts: 288 Baller
    If you go to Instagram and look up @brodski16 there's a video of him trying it, came pretty close
    Luzz
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 460 Solid Baller
    @eleeski was it not Darrin Shapiro who nailed that first? The "cannonball".
  • E_TE_T Posts: 542 extraterrestrial trouble maker
    @rockdog Shapiro landed the first double front aka speedball
    E.T. phone home!
    I like reese's pieces

"Leave nothing on the dock"~AM
  • rockdogrockdog Posts: 460 Solid Baller
    Apologies, gee that was many moons ago..
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,901 Moderator
    @Chef23 I thought tricks has to be landed on video for the committee to approve them? @eleeski do you know?
  • unksskisunksskis Posts: 280 Baller
    So the trick has never been completed at all? And I realize it is a double "backflip" somersault, so a double roll, which as shown in wakeboarding is harder than a double front. I had always thought it was a double front flip. Anyone know when or why this was added?
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 680 Crazy Baller
    I recall Jaret Llewellyn insisting—15 years ago?—that a double flip was possible on a trick ski. I'm sure he was working on it and getting close enough to believe it. Of course, believing it doesn't always make it so.
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 680 Crazy Baller
    edited September 2015
    And @unksskis I'm not sure a double-front on a wakeboard is easier than a double (back) roll. Shapiro had a particular talent and landed the double front before anyone landed any other doubles (I think!), but most other boarders doing doubles in recent years are doing double backs or double tantrums.
    Perhaps @Edbrazil can check in his archives to see when a double was first put in the books. It is in my old hardcopy rule book from 2000 (BFLF is not there and the codes are way different). I don't know how it was originally placed (Ricky McCormick? He could do anything!).

I tried to get a trick in the books (T7BB and RT5F). I had to submit video and a description to AWSA who then submitted it to IWSF. It was rejected (as too dangerous - a trick learned by an arthritic guy in his 50s was too dangerous?!). The process was pretty rigorous - but that was fairly recent. I landed one BFLF 20 years ago before it was in the books but it wasn't on video so I couldn't submit it - at least for 20 years you needed to have video or demonstrate it in person to the AWSA committee.

I'm pretty sure I saw Parks do the first televised double. Darrin may have been the one to put it in the books. But I'm old enough to have memory issues.

With the tiny wakes of the new boats, it might be a while before anyone hits one in a tournament. But a buddy of mine has a surf boat...

Eric
  • HortonHorton Posts: 24,259 Administrator
    Back when I was tricking and could do back flip easily I sort of tried. .. 1 1/4 flip hurts a bit

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

• fu_manfu_man Posts: 321 Baller
    I have done double flips on an OTF.....
    Than_Bogan
  • unksskisunksskis Posts: 280 Baller
    @eleeski they deny tricks on a basis of being too dangerous? Can AWSA approve without IWWF approval?
    ???? It is not in the current rule book. The tricks were properly submitted, videos made and other skiers experimented with the tricks a lot (note that TW7BB is in the books - from the days when it was legal to have both feet on the ski to start toes. TW7BB is a valuable trick so the incentive is strong). I was quite surprised that it was not put in the rules. Politics?

I'll try to post a video but it won't be for a few weeks.

Eric