Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Radars version of the R-style ?

Fehlindra Fehlindra Posts: 215 Baller
edited April 2016 in Skis Fins Bindings

Comments

• jrsjrs Posts: 99 Baller
    I wouldn't use anything bindings with laces. Getting the same tension in your boots is critical to consistency. Laces will never be in the same place each set. Also, laces break at the worst time and I've never had a buckle break.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,540 Mega Baller
    I would be interested in trying it if you can kick in to it. I use a conventional RTP and am a dragger.

I have been using the Strada bindings for a bunch of years without any trouble with laces breaking.
    Mark Shaffer
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,032 Mega Baller
    I love my R-style. May have to pick one of these up for a test ride
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    Great idea. I don't see it as their version of the r style though, the HRTP is more recreational imo.
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 740 Crazy Baller
    edited September 2015
    @Chef23 their marketing copy:
    "The high tongue and low heel cup allow you to kick your foot in after a drag or dock start."
  • davemacdavemac Posts: 446 Baller
    edited September 2015

Yep, definitely interested in trying...or reading reviews on it. I am curious as to whether it is geared towards the recreational or advanced crowd.
  • DeanoskiDeanoski Posts: 727 Crazy Baller
    I just got one I will report back on how it works I have been using a willey 3/4 boot
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,970 Mega Baller
    I think you could say a standard RTP is geared to recreation AND tournament markets, no?
    This would be a step up from the RTP, and if it keeps my heel from sliding sideways, I am interested! Could make deepwater starts easier if I can drag, then lock my heel in. I like up and down, but not sideways movement of my rear heel.
  • wtrskiorwtrskior Posts: 704 Crazy Baller
    edited September 2015
    @A_B the RTPs designed for the recreational market are quite different from the RTPs geared to the tournament market..

this hybrid boot is designed around the vector feather frame boot, so not a tournament binding. Still a good idea none the less that many skiers can benefit from.
    I have a higher-end Radar RTP, that I didn't get around to trying this summer, and my friend has the lace up style, which might be what you call the recreational version. He has tied it up and locked in place, and uses without any issues. It has held up considerably longer than the Goode RTP (which is also an Obrien I think). He use to go through at least one every season.
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 1,032 Mega Baller
    I think the video of strictly rec use may be skewing our opinions. I'm really interested in what you see @Deanoski. Let us know brother
  • Mike GileMike Gile Posts: 266 Solid Baller
    I tried one on and thought it could be a good balance between security and mobility. I have ankles that don't bend as much as they used to. For me to get my knees bent where I want them I have to lift my rear heel (an entire topic itself).
    Skied the new HRT rear boot yesterday like the ankle flex but being in a reflex front and a willey 3/4 boot for years the lateral stiffness was to much I could not even run my opener. This rear boot would be great for someone coming out of and hybrid or rear hard shell. I will play with it some more in the spring.
    edited September 2015
    Its funny how a change in bindings can cause such drastic results on skiing.
    I experienced a similar challenge when going from my Strada front to a new Vapor front. Can only imagine if I switched the back one as well.

Only emphasizes that you should use your familiar bindings on a new ski to see what is happening just from the ski.
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,225 Crazy Baller
    After some gained experience, I would NEVER try a few ski without using my current bindings. Changing bindings is harder than changing skis.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • gavskigavski Posts: 172 Baller
    Do you think this would be a good option to go for if i wanted to go from a double strada set up to the new Supershell? I am not convinced that i can get the rear strada boot close enough to the front supershell because of the release mechanism...
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,540 Mega Baller
    Might be but if you are a double boot person already a rear Wiley might be better. You should be able to get that close and would provide more support than it looks like this would. I think the Reflex R Style has the toe cut off also to allow it to get close.
    Mark Shaffer
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,837
    @gavski ... If your going to the Supershell, go with the R Style...It was designed to release perfectly with the Supershell and it does....I proved that on my 2nd set.
    Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,867
    This might be a good option for me. The R style shell cut into my oddly placed ankle bone so I finally got tired of jacking with it and went back to a rubber rear.

The description shows that gawdawful color, as well as black/silver. But when I went to order, they didn't give a color choice. So I'll have to call them. I don't care how good it might be, that neon color isn't going on my ski.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

Would be curious how it works out @ShaneH
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,029 Mega Baller
    edited April 2016
    @ShaneH looks like the black is only with the aluminum frame and the neon is only with feather frame.

Perf Ski
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • AndreAndre Posts: 985 Crazy Baller
    @Deanoski
    Did you try kicking your foot in after deepwater start ?
    I have a size 11 foot the boot is a one size fits all No way could I kick into it i could bary get my foot in on the swim step. lots of support the tongue does get in the way of the heel release if your feet are close
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,867
    edited April 2016
    I ended up buying HO's plateless version that mounts to the center holes on the new HO ski and will try it this weekend.

HO VMax Rear

Shane "Crash" Hill

• CommuterfisherCommuterfisher Posts: 83 Baller
    @ShaneH how did you like the HO chop top. Can you lift your heal up? I like my heal up on deep starts.
    I have ordered the Radar Hybrid Rear Toe Plate. Anyone need a R-Type 12 Right with boot and Carbon Plate? $ 185. Used once.

Here are some photos of the Radar R-Style 12 Right foot. It came labeled as a right foot but I found it strange that the cut out was for the pinky toe and not the big toe. I used it once.
    1.png 14.6M
  • eddie_roberts_jreddie_roberts_jr Posts: 442 Water Ski Industry Professional
    Pretty sure this picture is not of a Radar product.
  • MilfordMilford Posts: 84 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Just mounted my HRT up and am going to give it a rip this weekend. Very light weight, quality product.

• gregygregy Posts: 2,444 Mega Baller
    @Milford you get to try the setup yet? Says one size fits most. Do they fit you? I have a size 13 foot and was wonder if they would be long enough.