Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

...and the neurosurgeon says...

6balls6balls Posts: 4,844 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
L3-4, L4-5 decompression with out fusion planning for November 3rd. Slugging down prednisone til then just so I can continue to get around and go to work. Will miss 2-3 weeks of work, then should be able to start rehabbing in gym, getting the core as strong as can be and getting ready for next spring. With any luck less back pain than I've had in 15 years and a chance to put together a good season of skiing.
Dave Ross--die cancer die
gt2003RazorRoss3Pat MMarcoskibumsamSkoot1123thagerFast351Glydon

Comments

• MSMS Posts: 4,846 Mega Baller
    Hang in there. Hopefully you get a solid season next year.
    Shut up and ski
    6balls
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,402 Crazy Baller
    You'll be glad you did it. I had an L4-L5 posterior laminectomy with instrumentation and fusion almost exactly one year ago. The nerve pain was gone immediately, and the rehab wasn't that bad compared to some of my other surgeries. I initially thought my summer was going to be spent just doing laps at -28, but the back started feeling strong by the middle of summer, and I was back to running 35 on a good day. You'll be back strong by early summer.

Good luck!
    gt20036balls
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,971 Mega Baller
    Good luck and speedy recovery!
    6balls
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,844 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    @marco cool this should be even easier...no fusion or instrumentation. No work that creates any instability, no waiting for bony fusion maturity. Wish I could get it done before Nov 3 just to get the recovery going...but it was his first opening.
  • dbskidbski Posts: 217 Crazy Baller
    I had a laminectomy on 3 vertebrae and was skiing 6 weeks post surgery. It was remarkable how immediate the pain was gone. Pre-surgery, transitioning from sitting to standing for months took the top of my head off! The next morning after surgery I felt like running up and down the hospital hallway. My surgeon skied so when I told him I had a trip planned to Seth's in six weeks he cleared me to ski just not to fall!
    Rick Bohn
    6balls
    @dbski I hear you on sit to stand transitions and vice-versa. Prolonged standing bad, too, as well as any lumbar extension. Shoes/socks no fun, either. Kind of amazed I got thru 6 tourney rounds in Florida but there was a lot of prednisone involved and I was pretty hampered in terms of skiing position. Without being able to extend my low back I simply couldn't get my hips up.

Tried to ski back here afterward and got folded like a cheap lawn chair on opener and knew it was over...good thing was time to shut down in MN, anyway.

I figure post-op will be some pain...but I've got enough now shouldn't be all that bad by comparison and will improve.
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,770 Mega Baller
    Speedy recovery Dave!!
    6balls
  • dtm8119dtm8119 Posts: 165 Baller
    @6balls - Best of luck! We've got to get together next year and ski sometime.
    Dan Cloutier
    6balls
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,304 Mega Baller
    Just make sure to strengthen the hell out of your core so you can take the laid of skiing through your muscle not your spine! Wishing you a speedy recovery Uncle
    6balls
    @razorross3 on it, kid. Been doing core every morning for a long time trying to prolong the structure I have right now. STill do it though it hurts like hell. Will really amp it after recovery excited to be able to really rip in the gym before next season.
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,304 Mega Baller
    Lookin forward to seeing you running deep 38 again, although now you've given me two years to catch up I'll be trying to be on pace. Better watch out.
    @razorross3 remember the feeling of being the up and coming 36 mph skier...it's fun! Someday you'll be old, too. Here's to seeing you get through that blue line at 36 next season and I want back through the purple with regularity again.
    RazorRoss3gt2003
  • jdk99jdk99 Posts: 83 Baller
    Good to hear you decided to pull the trigger Dave. Best of luck.
  • EFWEFW Posts: 96 Baller
    @6balls I had my microdiscectomy last Thursday. Walked in the door at 10AM -walked out at 3PM. 1st stop to get a donut and then to the cemetery to be sure I wasn't dreaming. Went for a long walk on the beach had a beer and went to bed. My worst problem was reading all the negative outcomes on Spine-health before hand. The most positive outcomes were from guys right here on BOS. Google a question and up pops a a negative story from Spine-health. It's counter productive to what you want heading into surgery.
    A cup of coffee ( thank GOD for Tim Horton! ) never tasted so good as in recovery.
    GOOD LUCK!

• RichardDoaneRichardDoane Posts: 3,973 Mega Baller
    @horton - Tim Horton must be John's evil twin
    BallOfSpray Pacific Northwest Vice President of Event Management, aka "Zappy"
    EFW
    @efw that's great. My procedure will be a little more involved and the recovery not quite so quick but I"m looking forward to it. I realize there may be post op pain, but I'm in pain every day now. Hard to sit, stand, pick anything up. Without prednisone I'd be useless right now and it is slowly worsening so if I could get it done any sooner I would.
    @6balls I have sympathy for anyone in your pain. How anyone could endure day in an out with that kind of pain is beyond me. My incline sit-up board, CTS rower - got rid of them. From now on - body weight or no spinal load exercise for me. No more picking up that barbell again. I don't even know if I will run again. Simply put - once you hammer your back you don't want to do it again. Exercise as I have known it has to be rethought. YOU HAVE NOTHING WITHOUT YOUR HEALTH.
    Bulldog
    @efw I'm stubborn (or stupid...call a spade a spade) but I'll be in the gym conservatively by the new year and skiing in the spring. Thankfully this procedure should cause no post operative instability just get the ligamentum flavum off my nerve tissue.
    Good luck with your back. Lots of core exercises, my friend...strengthen everything around that spine.
    RazorRoss3
    @6balls Scot Jones turned me on to this guy - Stuart Mcgill. His book "low back disorders" is not an easy read but if your looking for truth and not anecdotal for true science derived fact check it out. @ktm300 has a guy also.
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    Back issues are funny -- all of us have some, very few are identical in nature. I have major spinal defects from birth - a condition referred to as scheuermann's disease. This causes multiple issues. First, my vertebra are not formed normally. Throughout the spine, they have soft surfaces, creating indents referred to as schmorl's nodes. As a result, my discs actually press into those spaces, thinning the disc space. In addition, in the thoracic spine, the vertebra are formed taller in the back, and shorter in the front. This creates a rounding of the back in that area.

The net result for me has been that I ruptured one disc in my low back, and the rest are so thin that the doctor referred to it as "good news, bad news". The bad news is you have no fluid in the rest of your discs. The good news is they can't rupture. I did not have surgery post the rupture, despite losing all the quad strength in my right leg for a period of about 6 months. It eventually came back to about 90%, which is where it remains.

As for my thoracic spine, I do everything I can to try to avoid having a hump! I stretch, I lay vertically on a hard roller to press the hump out, and I exercise like crazy.

In the end, regardless of the problem, my physical therapist has one line that rings in my head -- "motion is lotion". If you keep things moving, they keep moving. If you don't move, then you can't move. Secondarily, core strength is the most important thing you can do to protect the structure. With winter coming, I'll be shifting back to my gym routines to make myself still stronger for next year -- I'm not getting younger, but I am getting stronger!
    Jim Ross
    EFW
  • colo_skiercolo_skier Posts: 766 Solid Baller
    @6balls Get this behind you and start getting ready for next year. Lots of luck with the surgery and recovery. Good wish's on slaying the purple beast also, should be easier with the back fixed.
    Not sure I know what I am doing. The boat goes I follow. Trying to perfect the deep water start. Squirrel!
    6balls