2016 KD Skis

Mo2204Mo2204 Posts: 28 Baller
Hey ballers
I recently had a look at kd skis website and browsed through their 2016 models. I have to admit that I didn't really know about them before and it seems like there is not much going on about that company in general. Is thereany reason why you hear not nearly as much about them as you can do with radar and the other companies ?
I think that especially the 2016 Lithium, Redline and Ex look pretty appealing. So are those skis worth the money ?
Tagged:

Comments

• LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,040 Crazy Baller
    I haven't seen anyone on a KD since Denny started D3. I hadn't looked, but I didn't even realize they were still around.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
    akale15
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 659 Crazy Baller
    Aren't they mostly (if not exclusively) in Australia?
    JAS
  • HortonHorton Posts: 24,630 Administrator
    edited October 2015
    It is a brand owned by Archer and sold in Australia. Unless something that changed- all the designs are 10 to 20 years old.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

Their website says "Made in USA". I guess that could be the case, and only marketed in Australia, but seems kinda strange.
  • GOODESkierGOODESkier Posts: 1,107 Crazy Baller
    Graphics sell stuff. To the majority that don't know/care any better.
    2003 Nautique 196 LE Star Gazer & ZBox - GOODE NANO OneXT 66.75" - Powershell 5 (LFF) - Tournament PB: 2 Balls @ 39.5' OFF (34.2 MPH) on 7/18/2015 at BIG DAWG BROHO!
  • lakeaustinskierlakeaustinskier Posts: 317 Baller
    Like a lot of people my first real ski was a Redline - but that technology is at least 30 years old. That ski is now part of my waterski bench.
    Ted Thomson, Austin Texas, Aquaplex
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,722 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    When Denny started D3, KD soldiered on for a bit on the international market and ended up in Australia. It was about the time their last "new" ski hit the market the KD Platinum. I was still on promo program at that time and could get them on the cheap...some may remember the experiment was a balsa core. I broke one between the bindings, they went to PVC core and they replaced it for me. I gave it to a friend and went D3. Used to know a sales manager there really well as she was also my promo contact for KD from the time we were sponsored as a collegiate team til I was nearly out of M2.
    She was fired about the time D3 began, but was re-hired by KD after D3 began. Always liked her...can't remember her last name first name was Jeanna.
    Old designs now, not even in the current slalom ski conversation.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
  • HockdogHockdog Posts: 133 Baller
    I had a 2004 68" Platinum, balsa wood core, best ski ever, at the time......till the balsa wood core gave up behind the rear binding. Ran 2 and 3 @ 39 off a couple of dozen times on it before it folded on me one day.....
    6ballswtrskior
  • HortonHorton Posts: 24,630 Administrator
    Made in Seattle

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

edited October 2015
    Back in the '90's and early ,00's skied a 7000 and a CR7 before going to a D3 X5.
  • HockdogHockdog Posts: 133 Baller
    Per some industry people, the quality is no longer there in the manufacturing process. The molds were sold when KD was bought up by some venture capitalists after Denny had long washed his hands of KD. The process is one step above the basic ski manufacturing process you would find on a pair of O'brien doubles.....

• rockdogrockdog Posts: 464 Solid Baller
    The 7000 was a very good ski back in the day. Even here in oz where it seems is the only place to buy them I only know two people using KD and that's because they get them for free.