Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Off-season Training

arigold22arigold22 Posts: 37 Baller
One of the issues with skiing in Michigan is the six month off season. I am a 3-event skier and saw a large amount of improvement in all 3 events towards the end of the season. I think my slow start can be attributed to not being in proper ski shape come April and May. I would really like to get a strong start next season so I can continue to make improvements and take full advantage of those precious six months I have to ski.

Therefore I am looking for any and all advice on off-season training. For example what types of workouts yield the best results? Is strength more important than flexibility or vise versa? Which muscle groups are most important? And just any other general recommendations or specific things that have helped you all in the past. Let me know what you guys recommend!

Comments

• GlockGlock Posts: 192 Baller
    I have heard of a lot of skiers having good results with Crossfit. That said, I've tried it a few times and haven't liked it much. I'm sure many people on here will disagree with me.

I'm going to try p90-X this off season. Its a 90 day routine and I will try to do two cycles before next season. I've witnessed a few people get in really good shape following that workout and watching what they eat.

Good Luck!!
  • MSMS Posts: 4,901 Mega Baller
    Going to try the rowing machine, x country ski and a hockey league or 2.
    Shut up and ski
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,120 Mega Baller
    Downhill skiing, skating and snowmobiling (really it is exercise) . My .02 on p90x is that it is an awesome way to get new and unusual injuries. The Yoga disk makes a qualified instructor cry or laugh so be careful out there.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • BoneHeadBoneHead Posts: 5,895
    Crossfit is awesome. But you have to find the right gym(I hate calling them boxes). A LOT popped up with basic level instructors, who don't concern themselves with the correct form, only that speed is of the essence. There are some that are overall fitness based, as opposed to performance based. Those are the ones to go to.
    Shane "Crash" Hill

dvskierFLeboeuf
  • Razorskier1Razorskier1 Posts: 3,425 Mega Baller
    I use Jenny LaBaw for Crossfit-type workouts that are specifically geared to make me a stronger and better skier. She sends me workouts via spreadsheet, I do them and provide her feedback. She can customize for the equipment you have available.
    Jim Ross
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 1,084 Mega Baller
    I'll be reading BoS ... what else do I need to do? It's provided more bang for the buck than anything I've done in the last 40 years.
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    akale156balls
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,306 Mega Baller
    Lift weights and do 8 oz curls with Sweetwater IPA.
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    andjulesakale15
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,225 Crazy Baller
    8 oz? Do you put a nipple on it too. :)
    oldjeepMISkierBoneHead
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,306 Mega Baller
    @Zman Shane told me it would keep my hands free for other things in life!
    Stir vigorously then leave!
    Zman
  • bkreisbkreis Posts: 281 Baller
    @arigold22 I train skiers via email , if interested please contact me. www.skyfitness.com
    www.skyfitness.com
  • gt2003gt2003 Posts: 705 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Stay active, choose whatever interests you. That's most important or you probably won't keep doing it. Keep your food in check and shed excess weight if you need too (my goal, lol). It will warm up before you know it!
    2014 HO TX
    1996 Malibu Echelon
  • DefectiveDaveDefectiveDave Posts: 477 Solid Baller
    edited October 2015
    Whatever you end up doing ,the key is going to be consistency more than anything else. If you decide to get in shape 1 month before ski season, you will be disappointed, but if you work out all winter you will be pleasantly surprised.

I would recommend some form of compound full body lifting exercises like deadlifts, squats, pull-ups, and benchpress in addition to dynamic activities which require core work. Play basketball, go biking, or pick up swimming (indoors of course). You might as well have fun getting in shape!
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,776 Mega Baller
    Home gym is soon to be installed. Will be doing another round or two of P90X - or one of the variations. I really love P90X2.
  • GaryWilkinsonGaryWilkinson Posts: 289 Baller
    Joined Monkey Bar Gym.

Never been more fit and strong! Addictive too.
    Hopefully one in your town.
    I need to ski back to the handle obviously.
  • CMARVCMARV Posts: 3 Baller
    edited October 2015
    Nothing gets you in better skiing shape than skiing. That said, I've found high intensity "warm room" workouts improve off-season stamina.
    "Hot Feet Fitness Workout is a high intensity 21 minute body weight work out in a studio that is about 90 degrees with 35% - 40% humidity. The heat is helpful in allowing the body to work deeper into each exercise safely, minimizing risk of injury by increasing elasticity of the muscles, ligaments and tendons, allowing greater flexibility with a lower risk of injury.
    The heat also facilitates sweating, detoxifying through the pores and skin – the body’s largest eliminating organ. Heat increases cardiovascular workout. The intensity of the heat deepens the need for concentration and focus, strengthening willpower and self-control. The duration helps all of us get a great workout and take steps to fitness and health daily while also fitting into a busy schedule.
    The method of using simple body weight exercises facilitates a mental and physical freedom that eliminates all fear associated with typical workouts." - Taken from the Hot Fee Fitness website
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,172
    +1 I'm Jenny LaBaw...I've used her workouts now for almost four years. 2 that I paid her for and 2 that I recycled. Worth every penny
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • DaveDDaveD Posts: 686 Crazy Baller
    @CMARV, does the Hot Feet Fitness place smell as bad as I think is would? How do they keep all the equipment from rusting out?
    thager
    @DaveD , hahaha, it actually doesn't stink at all, but certainly sounds like it should! It's a instructor led high intensity body weight workout so no equipment needed.
    That looks cool Samo.... I'm going to make myself one.
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,120 Mega Baller
    Looks similar to snow ski hop turn drills. Already have the bosu ball, but I would want a bunch.more clear space around and maybe some mats.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • GAJ0004GAJ0004 Posts: 1,053 Baller
    I did the Insanity workout last winter with some P90x(lean schedule). This summer was the best I ever skied, but I only had one good tournament. I set a new PB in tricks of 1730 points, and tied my PB in slalom [email protected] In practice I got into 35off just about every time in practice cold off the dock. In practice I set a new PB in slalom of 5 1/[email protected] I got to the exit gate, but threw the handle because there was more slack in the rope I could hang on to. Did not want to risk injury. If you do any of the beachbody workouts you have to follow the nutrition plan otherwise your body will not recover in between, especially if you are older like me(age 46).
    Gary Janzig Streetsboro Ohio, skis at Lake Latonka, Mercer Pennsylvania slalom,trick,kneeboard,barefoot