For Those Who Are Tired of Long Drives to the Lake

Mateo VargasMateo Vargas Posts: 683 Crazy Baller
Success is failure that just hasn't happened yet
jcampTexas6eleeskicragginshred

Comments

• mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 392 Water Ski Industry Professional
    That's an awesome plane! I've been wanting one ever since they first made the concept public. Light Sport Aircraft, Sport Pilot License...
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,148 Crazy Baller
    Can you get one with ZO?
    MISkieraupatkingbishop8950E_T
  • WishWish Posts: 6,741 Mega Baller
    actually had that happen at a tournament... lake clears, ultralight lands, guy skis, lake clears, guy gets back in plane, goes home. I would get one to do just that.. to cool.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,572 Mega Baller
    Looks like a perfect runway. Been in a lot of small planes and helicopters but never had the opportunity to try a float plane.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • rodltg2rodltg2 Posts: 1,051 Crazy Baller
    you think new boats cost a lot! my 1973 cessna drove me to the poor house. was glad to sell that money pit. im in the wrong income bracket for aircraft ownership!
    WaterSkier12
  • Ed_ObermeierEd_Obermeier Posts: 1,334 Crazy Baller
    If I could afford the plane I'd probably put the money into my own private lake instead...
    Ed Obermeier - owner, EZ-Slalom Course Systems
    www.ez-slalom.com
    aupatkingBrennanKMNkstateskier
  • CommuterfisherCommuterfisher Posts: 83 Baller
    Maybe Gordon Rathbun would have gotten his 50 ski runs at 50 lakes in a day with this.
  • rabrab Posts: 71 Baller
    One of the Michigan lakes has a landing strip running along it. Kinda funny to have to be told to look out for planes while walking from the parking lot to the lake.
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,286 Historical Baller
    I was at a McCormicks tournament a few years ago when Franz Oberleitner dropped in with
    his Ultralight. Was a fancy one: 2 seater. In the Back When, Warren Witherell occasionally
    flew in to sites in his float plane.
    there is a dirt runway at our club that also is the short cut to the lake. have to watch out for them in the spring.
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 1,854 Mega Baller
    @rab, that lake in Michigan with the landing strip is Jepawhit. The local Nautique dealer owns it and is a pilot as well.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 833 Mega Baller
    @Edbrazil I remember Warren flying in to Reading sometime in the early 80s... I seem to recall you were there, too.
    Patience is the key to Joy.
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,031 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    @Commuterfisher We flew Gordon from one site of mine to another in a floatplane. So he did have the benefit of landing on the water to ski. Flip side was that he hit rollers from the plane and didn't run one of the passes. The floatplane was from a flight school that parked their plane on my lake. Ski lakes are great floatplane runways.

@Horton carries lots of unreasonable fear fetishes. Commercial flying is 10 times safer than driving. Driving is 10 times safer than private flying. Private flying is 10 times safer than riding a motorcycle. Riding a motorcycle is 10 times safer than bicycling. Manage risks but get out on that bicycle to avoid dying of obesity.

@rodltg2 My old 182 cost 13,000, burned cargas and got better mileage than my truck. I was pretty poor when I got that plane but it certainly did not bleed me. On the contrary, it opened up lots of opportunities. My current 210 is a bit more expensive - but still lots cheaper than what I spend on waterskiing.

@Bill22 My 210 autopilot is so good that I shouldn't be able to log the hours from some flights.

@oldjeep Float flying is pure fun. Try it when you get a chance. I picked up a bit of dual in Tavares FL. Great fun.

@Mateo Vargas Thanks for the awesome pictures. Fly up to Stan's and take us for a ride! My plane will be parked on his levee so you'll have to splash in.

Eric
  • Mateo VargasMateo Vargas Posts: 683 Crazy Baller
    @eleeski I don't own one so if you want me to ski with you up at Stan's you'll have to fly down to Livermore and pick me up.
    eleeski
  • CreekerCreeker Posts: 18 Baller
    Interesting concept.

Couple of questions.

How big of a wake does it make
    Is there a place to tie the rope to the back
    Can the judges look out the back to see if you made all 6?
    E_T
  • mmosley899mmosley899 Posts: 392 Water Ski Industry Professional
    @Creeker you have to reach around 55knots to get it off the water...then no wake!
    Mike's Overall Binding www.mobsystemrelease.com
    Sweet Home Alabama Skiing
    Senior Judge, Senior Driver, Tech Controller
    Fast351
    edited November 2015
    @eleeski My 172 cost 43k. That was not the big expense. It was the annuals that never were under $1000 like estimated more like $3000-$4000. The audio panel
    That failed. The radios that failed both at separate times , The gyro that failed. The hit and run that some sleeze ball pilot nailed the tail of my plane. The winter storm with high winds that damaged the plane. The early TBO Had to replace engine. then I lease back to a flight school that lost my wheel pants and log books. Plus to keep that dam thing at the airport. No thanks I was done.
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,115 Mega Baller
    Is 55knots 34.2mph?
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
    Bill22
  • DanEDanE Posts: 782 Crazy Baller
    More like 60 mph
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,545
    edited November 2015
    OMG, if you think Ski Boats are expensive, Planes have gone out of sight. Just the engine in my Jet cost 3 times what my SN 200 6L cost. Fuel burn of a gallon a minute. Plus it would only land on water ONE time. I would go with a nice Luxury Motor Home with a "STOCKED" fridge.

Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
    Marcommosley899WaterSkier12
  • Bill22Bill22 Posts: 1,148 Crazy Baller
    @mmosley899 55knots / around 60mph is a little hot! Can somebody find a seaplane with wings 3X the size so it could be in the air at 34mph?
  • CreekerCreeker Posts: 18 Baller
    Wonder if they put ZO on it, the tug could be used in tournaments?
    Then we could bring up the whole 3 blade verses four blade prop discussion too
  • OldGuysRuleOldGuysRule Posts: 42 Baller
    Three years ago at the Indiana State Championships hosted by the Angola Ski Club, Chuck Walker, landed his seaplane right in the middle of the tournament. Chuck is a club member and lake owner. It was only the "warm up!" Later in the day Chuck entertained the audience with acrobatics in his other stunt plane. It was a great "embellishment" to the tournament.
    E_TMattP
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,031 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    @AdamCord Looks interesting. I'll jump right on it - as soon as I'm done with my twin engine high wing tractor mount. (Never got to the shaping foam stage but I spent a LOT of time dreaming about it.) Kudos to Icon for actually getting it done.

@rodltg2 Bummer about your bad luck. It's not always that tough. Expensive, maybe but worth it.

I bet a large percentage of those following this thread are pilots. Cool! For those who aren't, getting a pilot's license is a very fun and challenging activity. While not cheap, it is more affordable than you expect. Check out a discovery introduction flight lesson.

Eric
    edited November 2015
    Yes very challenging especially when I am scared of heights ! Now only bothered by being high up on things attached to the ground . Waterskiing keeps me as close to earth. So no worries there. Snow skiing tho , still can't stand chairlifts. I'm pretty good snow skier but can't handle the chair. Avoid the long and high lifts.

If I ever hit the lotto I'll be buying another. But will hire a pilot to fly it. I'll just do the take off and landings. As long as they are VFR !
  • UWSkierUWSkier Posts: 572 Crazy Baller
    Those are awesome but I need one that can carry my slalom ski and gear!
  • Mateo VargasMateo Vargas Posts: 683 Crazy Baller
    Looks like Roy Halladay was flying one in his tragic crash.
  • mwetskiermwetskier Posts: 1,195 Crazy Baller
    many years ago i heard a paramedic from california refer to small airplanes as ' single engine doctor killers '. apparently at the time california was the private plane ownership capital of the country (and it might still be)
    WaterSkier12Horton