The passing of Andy Mapple was the most significant water ski news event in 2015

HortonHorton Posts: 23,517 Administrator
edited December 2015 in Breaking News
At the end of each year, BallOfSpray recognizes the skiers who made the biggest impact on the sport for that year. In 2015, there were certainly a few newsworthy performances, but the event that overshadowed everything else was the untimely passing of Andy Mapple. No event in the modern era of water skiing has shaken the sport as much. To honor Andy, BallOfSpray asked Ellie Horton to interview the people who knew Andy best and to write a few words about how he is being remembered.

That article can be seen here

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Tagged:
Than_BoganBruce_ButterfieldraynMattPBrennanKMNALPJrPat MDirtskiinxslakeaustinskierAlvin_NeffDooSPXMarcoRazorRoss3chrisroddyRAKScottScottAjskierOldboyIIShakeskigsm_peterGaryWilkinson

Comments

• EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,286 Historical Baller
    In 2005, when Andy had a go at running pro skiing events, I worked both the one at
    Flushing Meadow, NY and the famous/infamous one at Dousman, WI. Doing the setup
    stuff for them. Unfortunately, 2 tournaments was it, as he and family found out what
    a huge undertaking it was.
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,838 Mega Baller
    Great article. I only met Andy once at Nationals and just talked to him for a few minutes when his skis first came out. I always hoped to ski with him at his site in FL and am sorry I didn't make it more of a priority.

@elliehorton that was a beautiful and well written tribute.
    Mark Shaffer
  • chris55chris55 Posts: 226 Baller
    @elliehorton so great article, thank you and I am so proud to hold the ski I still using today .....and my second is aT2
    Will never forget Andy !
    Alvin_Neff
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,115 Mega Baller
    Well written EH
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • aupatkingaupatking Posts: 769 Crazy Baller
    Thank you @elliehorton
  • WishWish Posts: 6,742 Mega Baller
    Bump
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • chrisroddychrisroddy Posts: 27 Baller
    @Wish ,thanks for the bump. Glad I got to read that beautiful article @elliehorton
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,517 Administrator
    @wish thanks for bumping this thread. It's hard to know what to say one year later

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

WishMillerTime38
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,653
    @mike_mapple Thinking of you and your family.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Crypto Investing pays for my water ski addiction
    6ballsMillerTime38
  • MSMS Posts: 4,285 Mega Baller
    edited August 2016
    I would bet that each and every time I am on the club dock with other members, I mention or others will reference somthing that Andy told them or how he skis.
    Shut up and ski
    OTFeleeskitdusin
  • OldboyIIOldboyII Posts: 433 Baller
    edited August 2016
    I am to far away from normal world, so can only see it from distance...
    But all what I could see tells me that he was an incredible human being... one of cornerstones of our small world.
    Glock
  • 6balls6balls Posts: 4,465 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I have "Andy Mapple" shorts, too. They are my boardies that are just like a pair he had. I'm superstitious about 'em...seems every time I run really well I get back in the boat and realize I have 'em on. Ran 38 the other day...sure enough had my Mapple shorts on.
    Dave Ross--die cancer die
    JohnCox
  • Skoot1123Skoot1123 Posts: 1,738 Mega Baller
    @JohnCox - What a story! Thanks for sharing.
    JohnCoxFast351
  • customskicustomski Posts: 37 Baller
    I had the privilege of meeting him and watching him compete in 2014, more than happy to stop and pose for a photo. We visited his site a few days after and both Deena and Andy were happy to take my 11yr old boy out in the boat with them while they skied a client.
    Very down to earth and approachable family, fond memories.