Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to ski in Orlando Florida?

Hi, I’m just wondering where are some places to ski in the Orlando area and what the prices would be? I don’t think I’m going to have time to go when down their just wanted to see what the options are. Thanks

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,545 Mega Baller
    edited January 2016
    There are a ton of options in the Orlando area and prices depend on whether you just want to ski a set like at Lapoint Ski Park which runs $30 or so per set to coached sets at at least 6-8 sites (Wilson Brothers, Matt Rini, Lucky Lowe just to name a few) which generally run in the $60-80 per set depending on where you are and who is coaching.
    Mark Shaffer
  • rq0013rq0013 Posts: 543 Baller
    I always go to The Boarding School. The Wilson bros have a great site.
    Rob Quetschke
  • rq0013rq0013 Posts: 543 Baller
    I always go to The Boarding School. I've tried a few different schools and always love going back to Brooks. The Wilson bros have a great site with excellent coaching.
    Rob Quetschke
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,967 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited January 2016
    @Chef23, $30 for a ski set and no coaching sounds like a great price.

Any other sites in/around Orlando that offer just sets for around $30?
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
  • robbrobb Posts: 12 Baller
    Drew Ross place winter garden
    Amazing site great coach
  • thagerthager Posts: 4,223 Mega Baller
    Drew is great! But, I seriously doubt you will find a set for $30...
    Stir vigorously then leave!
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 668 Crazy Baller
    @scotchipman just KLP I believe is the only one doing just sets without coaching. And I think the price might actually be $35. Coaching options are almost endless. The question to ask is exactly what neighborhood will you be in to choose where to ski...... Travers, Swiss, Jodi's, TGas, I thought Mapple was still in operation but never seen activity since AM's passing and hydrilla growth there shows a lack of use.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,260 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    edited January 2016
    So I spoke to an Orlando WaterSports Complex (now Aksion Sports) employee not to long ago and there is a slalom course there on the boat lake. It's on a system that can be raised and lowered. Was a while ago but employee said course was broke and under water. There is a new 200 that can be rented by the hour with a driver. If I recal it was surprisingly cheap and if a few skiers split the rate it's even better. Or $25 a set. It does say Saturday Slalom on web site but guessing other times could be worked out with enough notice. It's a sleeper of an option as most think it's just cables and wake boats. Guess it's not a sleeper anymore. May be worth a call. Plus all the other activities happening there for other family members. A few Pro tour stops had there.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,362 Historical Baller

Best as I know, the SL course on the OWC boat lake is bottom-anchored. Since I would
    have supervised the installation about 1999, when the Pro Tour went there. For several
    years, Mike Ferraro had a ski and wakeboard coaching business there. I don't know about
    any raising/lowering system, other than snapping/unsnapping buoys to the subbuoys.
    Unless things totally have changed there.
    The Tour went there around 1999--2002. Jaret went 299' there in Ski Flying in a separate
    event in year 2000.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,260 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Ed, I thought that was odd as well. Thinkn maybe a bladder submersible system was added to accommodate wakeboats as that's their primary business. But if the course can be or maybe by now is functional, it's a cheap set.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,837
    edited January 2016
    Skied there several times when Ferraro was running his school. The course had detachable buoys from the subs. It skied pretty well. Last time I was there was April 15, 2010, skied with Andy Mapple and KC Wilson. That was really a GREAT day I will never forget.

Still remember Andy saying, "You need to lean more."

Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 2,150 Mega Baller
    LaPoints is $30 per set. We'd be happy to accommodate you. When might you visit?
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 682 Crazy Baller
    @lpskier will you still be down there the first week in March?
    @jcamp Hey Justin! I haven't made March travel plans, so if you're coming down and want to ski, I can plan around you. I've been in NY skiing (snow, and water) since before Christmas, and head south tomorrow night. I should be at the lake about 9 Saturday if you'd like to join me!
    @jcamp FYI, the Crazy Canucks are coming April 10 for a week. You should join them.
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 433 Crazy Baller
    I can see where a list / spreadsheet with all details on each site could come in handy for visitors to O'town.
  • ColeGiacopuzziColeGiacopuzzi Posts: 376 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Go to the boarding school, best set up with the best conditions...no matter what. Plus you get to ski with Brooks Wilson. Been there multiple times, top 5 favorite places to ski hands down.
    Cole Giacopuzzi • Radar Skis
  • skibugskibug Posts: 1,972
    Swiss Ski School is really really good. 4 Lakes, great drivers and boats, I think they were 45 or 50 a set.
    Bob Grizzi
  • Mastercraft81SnSMastercraft81SnS Posts: 94 Baller
    Cool thanks guys theres seems to be alot of places to ski.
    The problem is this: There are lots of ski options in Orlando, and the worst one is still probably a lot better than you are used to at home!