What is snow skiing?

CreekerCreeker Posts: 32 Baller
To be consider snow skiing, does one need to be skiing when it is snowing or just snow on the ground?

schaferTexas6Bulldog9400Hallpass

Comments

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,864 Mega Baller
    You need to be leaning forward. Try it out and report back ;)

Side note, is that water or hot chocolate?
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    wilecoyote
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    Glad to know someone else gets water like that in the winter. We get it every winter after a big heavy rain and then it sticks around until summer. Nothing like poo brown water to entice people to get out on the water early in the spring....
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 924 Crazy Baller
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,988 Mega Baller
    Skiing in a snow squall is significantly less fun than skiing in the rain. Not because it's cold, but because the ice crystals that comprise the snowflake sting the bejesus out of the eye balls.
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,316 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    @lpskier As a skier from way south of the Mason Dixon line, I disagree. The (one or do both rounds count?) time I skied in a snow storm, I found it much easier on my eyes than the heavy rains I seem to get at Regionals or Nationals when I ski.

Broadside in Idaho should be a respite as the weather there has a good chance of being fantastic in August.

@Creeker Watch the movie GNAR because "I'm the best skier on the lake!"

Eric
  • Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,072 Mega Baller
    Knowing that @lpskier is slightly crazy he could be talking about water skiing in a snow squall.
    Mark Shaffer
    Andre
  • A_BA_B Posts: 3,861 Mega Baller
    edited January 2016
    In my testing, I have found that water below 32 degrees has a significant drag on my fin..
    It can also effect the surface of the ski when encountering a patch of it on water that is not below 32 degrees.
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,318 Historical Baller
    Skied on the Connecticut River for a while, just above Wilder Dam. In the late 1960's.
    Every Fall, I'd wait later and later before hauling the boat in for the Winter. Columbus
    day, Halloween, Thanksgiving. One year, about December 5th, the river froze. Uh-oh,
    since the launch ramp was several miles upriver. Fortunately, it warmed up a bit, and
    the ice broke. However, not in the cove where the launch ramp was. Circled the boat
    round and round to create waves to break the ice.
  • dchristmandchristman Posts: 988 Mega Baller
    edited January 2016
    @A_B You need to sharpen your fin like a skate blade:

(image from here)
    Is it time to ski, yet?
    A_BskibrainSkoot1123
    @Chef23 Of course I am talking about water skiing in the snow!
  • Mateo VargasMateo Vargas Posts: 757 Crazy Baller
    This is what I think @Edbrazil looks like when he tells his stories.

Success is failure that just hasn't happened yet
    bojansoldjeepBruce_ButterfieldBroussard
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,703 Mega Baller
    Yeah, but is cold snow faster or or slower?
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.
    Is jump wax good for snow skis?
    Eric
    I've know some people to use canning wax, so I'm sure whatever you got might not be fast but would be good enough to protect the bases.
    Chuck P
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Posts: 803 Crazy Baller
    This is
    Ski it if you can!!!!
    edited January 2016
    How to rotate a photo I do not know
    Ski it if you can!!!!
    oldjeepSkoot1123Steven Haines
  • adkh2oskieradkh2oskier Posts: 110 Baller
    @lpskier John, You should have just worn your snow ski goggles, helps a lot.
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,798
    edited January 2016
    @markchilcutt your Alta picture (Sunspot? Watson Line?) is all fixed
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
    markchilcuttjipster43
    edited January 2016
    Snowbirds north chute (my favorite when open) from June 12th 2011, the 2010-2011 snow year was epic in Utah.
    markchilcuttFLeboeufThan_Bogan
    edited January 2016
    Outhouse from the top during 2011 Nastar Nationals in Winter Park

And where the fun was

Chuck P
    MISkiermarkchilcuttFLeboeuf
  • MISkierMISkier Posts: 2,028 Mega Baller
    @oldjeep, I've skied that run at Winter Park in 1983 and 1987, but not in any races. When I got back to Michigan from that second trip, I quit snow skiing here. It just didn't compare. I've done a little snowboarding with the kids, but that's it.
    The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.
    @scotchipman thanks for the rotation!!! We called it Santa Clause growing up. Its north of Watson line
    Ski it if you can!!!!
    scotchipman
  • wilecoyotewilecoyote Posts: 156 Baller
    It never looks as steep in a photo as it does in person, however, that shot of Snowbirds north chute is crazy!
    scotchipmanandjulesBill22Skoot1123
    @wilecoyote you are completely right, does not look as steep in the photo as it does in person. Hopefully it keeps snowing so Snowbird can open north chute some time this year!

@markchilcutt looks like Alta still has it listed as Santa Clause on their map, I need to come up some day and ski with you.
    markchilcutt
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,318 Historical Baller
    @eleeski: I have used snow ski wax in my 'secret' mix for water ski jumps. Swix LF10 or
    LF8. Proportions approximately 1/3 Paraffin, 1/3 Carnauba, 1/3 Swix. Not cheap. Nearly $200 for the materials, mainly for the Swix. The proportions vary for the region's
    climate. More Carnauba in the hot South. Started brewing my own after the Tour spazzed
    out ordering/receiving jump wax in year 2000.
    eleeski
  • skibrainskibrain Posts: 924 Crazy Baller
    We've got a 70M ski jump 10 minutes from our house. Not for me, but we had fun watching them jump Sat night. I'll try to post a video too. Got some sweet slow-mo.

oldjeep
    I've lived near that jump for 21 years and still haven't managed to see them jumping. Even used to instruct down the road at Hyland.
    Chuck P
    @adkh2oskier I wasn't expecting it to snow! I've thought about goggles in the rain, but I'm worried about the aftermath in an out the front fall. Recall before I had LASIK I skied in a racquetball goggle with polycarbonate Rx lenses. They worked pretty well in the rain, but less well than you'd think.
    If you think waterski jumping is crazy, try Nordic jumping. The inrun is slick and unstable - and steep. The skis are long and heavy and barely attached to your feet. The boots have no useful support (actually when I fell, my feet came out of the boots to act as a release). The runout has a wild transition (that might be fun on any other skis).

In the air was really fun though.

The more I jumped, the worse I got. No desire to go back now.

Eric
  • adkh2oskieradkh2oskier Posts: 110 Baller
    @lpskier Did it snow the day after Christmas when you got a pull on Lake Placid? I've only used snow ski goggles once in late fall w a few flurries. More likely to use cheap safety goggles in the spring when the black flies are really bad, they really hurt hitting your eyeballs.