Skiing on the Big Island in Hawaii

SethskiSethski Posts: 124 Open or 55K Rated Skier
edited February 2016 in Other Stuff
I have to travel to the Big Island for work off and on for the next month. Does anyone know if there is a place to ski there? I know of places in Kauai and Honolulu, but how about the Big Island?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Seth Stisher
SethStisher.com for water ski training and all of your gear needs!

"Follow your passion by pursuing your goals within that passion at all costs!"

Comments

• SethskiSethski Posts: 124 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Not sure how I made the category "Site Info and Instructions" @Horton, move appropriately if you'd like.
    Seth Stisher

• Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 5,734 Mega Baller
    Hey where in Kauai? I hope to be back there some day and didn't know of slalom opportunities.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,118
    Sounds like some pretty miserable work conditions Seth:)
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • EdmundEdmund Posts: 120 Baller
    I skied in Kauai a number of years ago, not in a course but slalomed on the river. I heard there was a course on the river at one time. I am not sure if they are still in business, but I still have the brochure: Kauai Waterski & Surf Company, 4-356 Kuhio Hwy, Kapaa. Phone (808) 822-3574 or (808) 344-7915.
    andjules
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 692 Crazy Baller
    I skied with the same folks on Kauai, they had a Response LX, but again, it was probably 2008 or thereabouts.
    Great island. One of the many places in the world where the street food/roadside shacks were almost always better than the fine dining.
  • MattPMattP Posts: 5,916 Mega Baller
    @Sethski I moved your thread to a different category. Big island for work on & off over month... Work must be tough these days!
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,687
    edited February 2016
    I was the one that maintained a course on Kauai for many years. When I left there so did the course. It took a lot of work to keep that course going and no one wanted to step up when I left. It was a spectacular place to ski. Had people skiing there like Glenn Frey and Christy Brinkly when they lived on Kauai. Also living there was Harrison Ford and Sylvester Stalone. They all liked the really low key lifestyle on Kauai.

Prior to being on Kauai I was a partner with Mike Suyderhouds Dad, with a Ski School on Oahu and a Nautique Dealership. I spent a vast amount of time searching all the Islands for a place to put in a Private Lake, including the Big Island. Hawaii is a very Liberal State and the environmental issues were HUGE...Very long story !!!

There were two Ski Clubs on Oahu and we held a lot of really good Tournaments there, with some really great people. Plus I had a course set up in front of my house in Hawaii Kai prior to moving to the Wailua River in Kauai.

Last I heard there was a company on the Big Island pulling Wakeboarders and Skiers on the Ocean on the South side by the Airport. No course or anything there though.

Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
    Thanks Ed. Don't need a course. Just want to stay in ski shape while I'm away from the lake. I appreciate everyone's responses
    Seth Stisher

dvskier
  • AndreAndre Posts: 761 Crazy Baller
    @Sethski
    You're absolutely right,no need for a course.
    Here's some drills for you to practice! ;)
    WaterSkier12
  • MSMS Posts: 4,420 Mega Baller
    There is no waterskiing on the Big Island. It is very calm off the Kona coast but I would not ski it.
    Shut up and ski
    Ok. Out of curiosity why wouldn't you ski it? Dangerous?
    Seth Stisher

• dvskierdvskier Posts: 159 Baller
    Tiger sharks! They are pretty aggressive.
  • KeukaskierKeukaskier Posts: 6 Baller
    @Ed_Johnson Heading to Oahu in a week and a half... is there still places to ski there?
    I watched Jaws 2
    Shut up and ski
    Sethski
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,687
    edited February 2016
    @Keukaskier ... Here is where I use to live and ski on Oahu. I don't know if they kept my Slalom Course there or not. Have not been back there since I retired from the Airlines a few years a go.

http://hawaiiwatersportscenter.com/package/waterski/

Here is the Ski Club that does have a Slalom Course where we skied Tournaments.

http://oahuwaterskiclub.com/

This is Kauai, but I believe my course is no longer there.

http://kauaiwaterskiandsurf.com/

@Sethski ... If your not after a Course, as I said before you can go on the Ocean with the only company I know that offered Skiing and Wakeboarding on the Big Island. Don't worry about Tiger Sharks in Kona, Scuba Dived there and never saw one. They favor surfers that they think are Big Turtles. Call Brent at 808-896-7656 or e-mail

[email protected]

Loving the Reflex Supershell with R Style Rear !!!
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 2,834 Mega Baller
    edited February 2016
    Kauai they ski/board on the waiumai river, saw them when we were kayaking. Honestly there are so many things to see and do in the islands that can't be done anywhere else that I wouldn't spend 10 minutes waterskiing there unless you have already done everything else.

Could have gone snow skiing in the big island, but the volcano park was so much better.

And fyi gas station sushi is awesome there.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    Than_Bogan
    Go to Hilo and eat at Leung’s Chop Suey House.
    Shut up and ski
    Sethski
  • dbskidbski Posts: 197 Crazy Baller
    The course in Kauai is definitely gone, skied there a couple of years ago.
    Rick Bohn
  • HortonHorton Posts: 24,479 Administrator
    @Sethski you are going to freaking Hawaii. Forget water skiing for a few days. Swim, surf, drink and look at hot girls in bikinis. If you're taking your lovely lady friend with you don't get caught looking at hot girls in bikinis.

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Babes / Barts / Connelly / D3 / DBSkis / Goode / HO Syndicate

MasterCraft / Masterline / O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf

Reflex / Radar /Stokes

WaterSkier12
  • eddie_roberts_jreddie_roberts_jr Posts: 435 Water Ski Industry Professional
    If you go to Kauai there is a lot to be said for taking a freeski ride up the Wailua River with Kenny Terheggen. You probably won't even need to bring a ski, he has all kinds. 808 822 3574
    Thanks Eddie. I and trying to figure out if I have enough down time to get over to the Y and ski with Kenny. I have communicated with him in the past but I will be working on the big Island and would have to fly to Hawaii. Still, it might be worth it. @Horton I have been in island I have been working in The virgin islands and then Puerto Rico of and on for the last two months and now a Hawaii for almost a month off and on. At some point you have to stop hanging out at the beach and drinking beer and looking at bikinis and get back to work. A man's got to ski!
    Seth Stisher

Horton
  • kckc Posts: 71 Baller
    edited February 2016
    I skied with Kenny on the river while vacationing on Kauai 9 years ago. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I get back. Awesome experience! There was part of a course still in at that time.
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,260 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    Having a vacation rental home in Kona, we have yet to ski there. It might be possible to open ocean ski but parasailing is realistically as close as you can get on the Big Island.

Oahu has a nice site and club at Sand Island near the airport. I haven't skied there for a couple years but high level performances are possible there - especially in the morning.

Hawaii Kai is OK but unskiable once the wind comes up.

Kauai is fun on the river. I just tricked there. There might have been a four buoy course but the tour boats took the seriousness out of the set. It was a long while ago.

We did look at some possible sites on the North Shore of Oahu but couldn't make anything happen. Maui might have a crosswind site but we didn't get interested.

Still pipe dreaming about a site at the Energy Lab next to the Kona airport. We'll host Nationals there when we build it.

Eric
    @eleeski Way to many greenies to pull that off not to mention the $$$$ that would be needed.
    Shut up and ski
  • ALPJrALPJr Posts: 1,462 Crazy Baller
    Oahu Waterski Club is in Honolulu on a lagoon near the airport.
  • jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,361 Crazy Baller
    Why not build a site near the ocean and pump in salt water?
  • jipster43jipster43 Posts: 1,361 Crazy Baller
    Oh! And skiing the river with Kenny is totally worth it.
  • scotchipmanscotchipman Posts: 3,755
    Speaking of Hawaii, check out the the live Eddie Aikau surfing competition now by clicking here.
    - President of the Utah Water Ski Club
    - Owner at Still Water Lake Estates
    Sethski
  • MarcusBrownMarcusBrown Posts: 137 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    +1 for Skiing on the Wailua in Kauai with Kenny! Great folks, cool river. You can get a nice little 2 mile free ski run up river, then turn around and do it again as many times as you like. He runs a Malibu response. No course anymore, but that shouldn't stop you.

This was Friday, skiing with Kenny:

This might turn out to be the best FlowPointTV episode yet...
    eleeski
  • MarcusBrownMarcusBrown Posts: 137 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    AND, he's got a little Studio with kitchenette, queen bed, and bathroom, only 100 feet from this river, maybe 3/4 mile from the beach, 10 min from airport, for $550/week.

Hard to beat.
    Horton