Skiing on the Big Island in Hawaii

2»

Comments

• bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 1,080 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Bump. So I may "have to" travel to Hawaii in late Aug. It doesn't sound like there is anywhere on the Big Island to waterski? I have skied Oahu and it was fun, but I am not island hopping just to ski. I would blow it off entirely but its the week before the BigDawg Final and even a free ski ride to keep up fitness would be fun. Any help is appreciated.
  • MSMS Posts: 5,031 Mega Baller
    edited April 2018
    I have been to big island many times and covered most of it end to end. I have yet to see a site that would allow for skiing. @Roger Logan had an idea for man made lake out by the Kona airport but it did not work out.
    Shut up and ski
    bishop8950lkb
  • SethskiSethski Posts: 133 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Yeah, I was there for four weeks and went all over. I was unable to see any possibilities. There is definitely land near the airport, but I would imagine it wouldn't be an easy thing to accomplish.
    Seth Stisher
    SethStisher.com for water ski training and all of your gear needs!

"Follow your passion by pursuing your goals within that passion at all costs!"
    bishop8950
  • bishop8950bishop8950 Posts: 1,080 Open or 55K Rated Skier
    Thanks @Sethski and @ms. That is what I expected but wanted to check.

Actually, Maybe Seth knows a spot and isn’t telling to increase his odds of beating me in the final
    Sethski
  • Mateo_VargasMateo_Vargas Posts: 820 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    There’s plenty of skiing over there on the Big Island. You never saw the movie Waterworld? Crawford can hook you up.
    Success is failure that just hasn't happened yet
    Sethskieleeskibishop8950jimbrake
  • OSUwaterskierOSUwaterskier Posts: 72 Baller
    Quite the coincidence that this thread popped up this week... fiancé and I are 8 days into our 10 day vacation to Kauai. We are staying on the north shore which I’m sure as many of you have seen, not the best week for the north shore of Kauai (unfortunately, explains why I have been able to keep up with BOS).

On our first day we saw an ad for waterskiing on the Wailua. We made the same comment - why would we do that here when we can do that anytime at home? Now, given the chaos that has unfolded (mass flooding, landslides, road closures, etc), we are unable to reach or accomplish over half of the things we had planned (trails closed, beaches ruined, roads blocked, etc). At the risk of sounding like a spoiled tourist (obviously feel awful for the locals who have experienced terrible losses), we have woken up the last three days wondering what we are going to each day. So far we have resorted to driving to the south side and fighting the clouds and cold for every little ounce of sun we can get.

Long story short, maybe we will give Kenny a call in the morning! Not sure how his area of the river has faired, but we are up for anything at this point.

Anyone have rainy day suggestions for us on Kauai? We are staying in Princeville and have hit just about all the trails and beaches the south and west sides have to offer. Thanks!
    Quite the coincidence that this post popped up this week - fiancé and I are 8 days into our 10 day trip to Kauai. We are staying on the north shore and unfortunately, as many of you have probably seen, not the best week for the north shore of Kaui (which explains why I sadly have kept up with BOS from Hawaii...)

On our first day, we saw an ad for skiing on the Wailua. We made the same comment, why would we go skiing when we can do that anytime at home? Now, given the chaos that has unfolded (mass flooding, landslides, etc.), we are unable to do over half the things we had planned (trails closed, roads blocked, beaches ruined). At risk of sounding like a spoiled tourist (obviously feel awful for the locals given many of their terrible losses), we have woken up the last three days wondering what we are going to do each day. So far, we have resorted to driving to the south side and soaking of every little ounce of sun we can get between showers.

Long story short, maybe we will give Kenny a call in the morning! Not sure how his area of the river has faired, but we are up for anything at this point.

Anyone have any rainy day recommendations for us on Kauai? We are staying in Princeville and have already hit just about every trail and beach the south and west sides have to offer! Thanks for the help!
  • kckc Posts: 108 Baller
    @OSUwaterskier I highly recommend skiing with Kenny. I went twice while on Kauai many years ago. Awesome experience and scenery! I have a framed picture of myself skiing the Wailau. It’s still brings a smile to my face every time I see the photo!
  • RogerRoger Posts: 1,523 Crazy Baller
    @MS - Don't know what Roger Logan's user id is, but I received the email for this thread instead of him. Looks like it may be: @RLogan
    Roger B. Clark - Okeeheelee skier. Senior driver, Senior Judge
    MS
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,953
    @OSUwaterskier ... Having lived on Kauai for 10 years in the past, the problem is when the heavy rains hit the mountains and you have the flash flooding, it sends trees and crap down all the rivers. I use to see huge trees and logs come right down the Wailua River and take out my entire Slalom Course in minutes. Even the sub-buoys.
    Fortunately, I had big screw anchors in the bottom to reattach everything to, but it usually takes at least a week for all the logs to clear out.
    You will know if your driving over the bridge at the mouth of the Wailua, if the Beach is blown out and looking up the River looks like a log jam.
    This usually happens twice a year. Sorry to hear you just happened to be there during one of those times.
    Loving the new ZO Rev. S Plus Mode C3+
  • jimbrakejimbrake Posts: 1,253 Mega Baller
    @Mateo Vargas - I think I can tell Paul from Howery from Mello in that Waterworld shot, but who was the fourth skier?
    "...all of the basic fun banter"
  • eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,734 Infinite Pandas
    @jimbrake Kirk? The timeline doesn't work...
    Thanks @Ed_Johnson

When we drove over the bridge on 56 last night, there was still a massive log jam. They have been closing the bridge each night to work on it but still looks like they have a long way to go. Sounds like that’s not a good sign for skiing... Will probably still give him a call to let him know he’s getting a lot of good recommendations on BOS!
    @jimbrake I think the 4th smoker was Ralph Byrne
  • Ed_JohnsonEd_Johnson Posts: 1,953
    That looks familiar. I use to have to climb through those piles to find my Buoys.
    Loving the new ZO Rev. S Plus Mode C3+
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 503 Crazy Baller
    We landed in Kauai a week ago. 27 Inches in 24 hours in Hanelai on Sunday. Absolutely crazy. Lucky for us we are staying in Poipu.
    Was it enough rain to put that volcano out?
    BG1DaveD
  • dbskidbski Posts: 246 Crazy Baller
    edited April 2018
    We were there a month ago, and my wife was bitching about the one day of rain we had. We were lucky and the weather other than that day was great. Sounds like the north shore got pummeled. Saw pics of the park at the Hanelai pier, its almost gone. So sad. @jjackrash how was it at Poipu? It's remarkable how different the climate is on the two sides of not that big of island.
    Rick Bohn
  • jjackkrashjjackkrash Posts: 503 Crazy Baller
    edited April 2018
    Its been cloudy and overcast with patchy rain, but fine for us. Its still 75 all day. We have been able to do everything we wanted to, i.e., beach time and surfing, pool time, offroading with 4 wheelers (we got to swing on the rope swing Indiana Jones used in Raiders to get to the sea plane), catamaran snorkeling tour up the na pali coast, hiking, etc. Today we are taking a helicopter tour and then flying home.

The lucky part is I was ready to book a condo in Princeville/Hanelei, and my buddy was like, "that's the wet part of the Island, you want to stay in the South this time of year," so we booked in Poipu and its been great.