Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultimate slalomski mirror

prettigprettig Posts: 62 Baller
edited April 2016 in News & Other Stuff
Seen it years ago in Lacanau france (custom build).

But is is basically a 5 panel mirror (google it). 160 degrees, no distortion and flat no convex so larger image.
The standard ones are not high enough (tested one). So the plan is to build one 34"x 7-8".

Will update as soon as I got it working ......should get an excellent view of a course run including the buoys (all convex mirrors .... not wide enough and if wide enough... small image of the skier).

Why: ..... if you give instructions and drive... perfect (we ski a lot without a third person).

Comments

• oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,417 Mega Baller
    edited April 2016
    LOL, the old wink mirrors that you used to see in mini trucks with carpeted dashes and dingle berries hanging from the headliners. I can only imagine the glare you would get off that thing in the sun.

Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • Greg BanishGreg Banish Posts: 116 Baller
    I had that exact mirror in my American Iron racecar years ago. You should be able to buy them fairly cheap from the typical race car parts suppliers.

Here's one example from Summit Racing.
  • prettigprettig Posts: 62 Baller
    edited April 2016
    yep.. cheap, want to glue a few together and put anti glare mirrors into it....
    edited April 2016
    PTM we have on a few boats... good for wakeboarding... sorry rubbish for slalom (just my opinion... if you as a driver want to give instructions .....I should add....as a mirror for the driver it's ok)

Lacanau (one of the worlds top slalom schools..... they don't want anything else....owner told me and he tests every new mirror... nothing comes close to his mirror... so why argue....)
  • 2tracmind2tracmind Posts: 49 Baller
    Your picture looks like the mirrors on many golf carts. $17.50 on amazon, 5 Panel Mirror For Golf Carts Fits EZGO, Club Cars and Precedent Carts.
    yes.... it is.... cheap, just not high enough (tested one on the boat.... so will make it higher)
  • WishWish Posts: 7,795 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Personally I think 2 old school Cipa 7x11 mirrors mounted above the windshield side by side captures the most side to side even at short line.
    >>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<
    edited April 2016
    agree works as well.... even had a 3 mirror setup (glued them together so they stay in position).... perfect for the turns. But you still miss things. But a pretty good solution (and cheap). Just want one mirror that does all....... just an attempt to make a better one....

It always puzzeld me.... expensive slalom boats with rubbish mirrors ! (I now know why... these OEM mirrors are HELLA truck/bus side mirrors .... 30,- euro mirrors... just mounted horizontally).
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,616 Administrator
    edited April 2016
    Looking for a healthy snack? Try SuperFat

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

dvskierZmanTNh2oskier
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    +1 on the PTM edge - full range of view of the skier from buoy to buoy, versus just seeing the skier behind the boat with the Cipa's. PTM Edge is pricey and worth every penny
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
    Horton
    this is the "original" (picture from Lacanau)

• EricKelleyEricKelley Posts: 282 Crazy Baller
    Back to the future. We used those back in the late 80's/early 90's. I have a PTM edge now. That thing worked better than the PTM but the looks not so much.
    looks..... totally agree (looks stupid).... but who cares at 8:00 in the morning (and i want it detachable in an easy way).
  • skibugskibug Posts: 2,034
    edited April 2016
    Personally, as a driver, I don't like our PTM; too much going on in the mirror. It is actually distracting and doesn't correlate with what I feel when I am driving. I like the old style, smaller mirror. From a skiing perspective, I don't want my driver looking in the mirror, I want him or her focused on the course and the feel of the boat relative to where I am. Just my opinion.
    Bob Grizzi
    9400dbutcherDaveDjipster43
  • MaryTeeMaryTee Posts: 25 Baller
    I love the PTM...best mirror ever. Since a lot of the time there are only 2 of us, skier and driver, when I drive I am focused on the course, however with the PTM I am also seeing the skier, I guess peripherally would be the best way to describe it. and that peripheral view is much wider with the PTM.
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 747 Crazy Baller
    Why not mount a mirror on the soloshot?
    Radio based cam corder 'fixed tripod' that follow the skier all the time....
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
  • WolfeieWolfeie Posts: 175 Baller
    The photo of the mirror in the boat looks like a "Rawly Vision." I am surprised he has not
    posted since he is on BOS quite often. Steve built and sold these mirrors for years, I think he lost a little interest in selling them. Since Steve is a member at Ski West several of the boats here have his mirrors and they work very well, much better than the PTM. Works
    best on closed bow boats because of the size and mounting.
    Brad Wolfe - Ski West Village, Arvin, Ca; Radar Pro Build, SN 200, I can see Ball of Spray headquarters from my lake house.
    prettig
    @Wolfeie...... would love to buy one from rawly vision......contacts ?
    @gsm_peter ..... looked at that as well...... not easy (and I am selling cctv camera's.. so have all i need). Outdoor lcd (expensive), I want full hd (so ip or sdi with hdmi out) all needs to be waterproof..... so maybe later
  • raynrayn Posts: 382 Baller
    Last time I checked the soloshot would not work while moving. The mount needs to be stationary.
    Ray Newmark -
  • Chuck_DickeyChuck_Dickey Posts: 1,462 Crazy Baller
    I had one of those, worked great until the heat melted the glue holding in the mirrors. When I glued them back in, they were never aligned again.

PTM is a great system I have in my Prostar.
  • ZmanZman Posts: 1,474 Crazy Baller
    Back in the mid-90's I took a set with Chuck Dees in Lakeland, FL and he had that long multiple pane mirrow. He really picked up a lot on my skiing while also providing a good pull.
  • socalskiersocalskier Posts: 62 Baller
    I had one of the rawly mirrors on my 89 supra. It was a great mirror but a difficult fit on the angled ts6m windshield. Always thought it needed a double ball and socket for an easier alignment instead of wedged washers. But the mirror was great. I use the ptm edge now, it works great also.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 27,616 Administrator
    When i coach @rico i don't look in the mirror- i just make stuff up at the end of the lake
    Looking for a healthy snack? Try SuperFat

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Barts ★ Connelly ★  DBSkis ★ Goode ★ Hobe Lake ★ HO Syndicate 

MasterCraft ★ Masterline ★ MOB ★ Performance Ski and Surf ★ Reflex ★ Radar ★ Stokes

• gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 747 Crazy Baller
    My idea with Soloshot was to mount the mirror on the Soloshot instead of the camera.
    I see now that the cam I integrated in version 3.
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
    Update... 2 x "wink" mirror (plastic mirrors.... glass would brake to easily during cutting).
    Cut of edge on one side from both (table saw): easier to bond.

Bonded them together (used Innotec adheseal, but any good kit will do).
    Flat table, mirrors down, angle iron for alignment.
    --> 15 minutes (then leave to dry)

Next cut out the middle parts --> 30 minutes.
    This version I will test (if ok: new mirrors, if not bond a third one to it).

gsm_peterjipster43
  • skiinxsskiinxs Posts: 549 Crazy Baller
    I would MUCH rather my driver drive and not look in the mirror at all. Easy enough to put a video tracking system on the pylon and review the pass afterwards, which will be much better if the driver concentrates on driving!
    oldjeepBroussarddbutcher
    edited April 2016
    an expierence driver can do this easily ....at least we have no problem with it and lots of schools do it. But if you feel it is better if he does not... no problem.

But ...... We just want a better mirror........nothing more ......because we feel we would benefit from it. Just sharing it (maybe someone likes it).
    gsm_peterThan_Boganjipster43
  • Texas6Texas6 Posts: 2,197
    You drive long enough, you learn not only to use the mirror and drive straight, but also to easily spot nuances and coaching opportunities throughout their pass. You also watch to ensure you know when you need to quickly get back to a skier after a bad fall. You wouldn't do that in a tourney perhaps, but I welcome driver feedback when there are only two of us on the water.
    Daryn Dean - Lakes of Katy, TX
    ***Robbed out of Hundreds of Panda Worthy Posts***
  • WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    I own a PTM edge mirror and it is nice. A lot better than the old single CIPA mirrors that so many still have. However, they are stupidly expensive and the mounts are even more ridiculous! If you ski open water, people still go outside my field of view constantly.

IMO, 2-3 cheap mirrors mounted in a good location are still the best option. They aren't zoomed out like the PTM, you can watch your skier and see what's going on while he's getting up...even at a hard angle. I can usually see the people in my mirror when they get up but if I'm teaching someone, I can't see them well enough to see what they're doing without turning around.
    prettig