Which Comes Next? Rope or Speed?

ToddLToddL Posts: 2,703 Mega Baller
I stumbled upon an article by Arturo Nelson recommending the following pathway to short line. What do you all think?

Shorten first, speed up later or what?

Quote:
Here are the steps that I show my students which have been proven to work and that will let you progress faster and better:
STEP 1. Run 49 km / 30mph two times in a row, getting earlier to buoy # six than you did to # one.
STEP 2. Run 52 km/ 32mph two times in a row, getting earlier to # six than you did to # one.
STEP 3. Run 49 km / 30 mph at 16mts / 22 off two times in a row, getting earlier to # six than you did to # one.
STEP 4. Run 52 km/ 32mph @ 16mts / 22 off two times in a row, getting earlier to # six than you did to # one.
STEP 5. Run 52 km / 32mph @ 14mts / 28 off two times in a row, getting earlier to # six than you did to # one.
STEP 6. Run55 km / 34 mph @ 14 mts / 28 off two times in a row, getting earlier to # six than you did to # one.
STEP 7. Run 58km / 36 mph @ 14 mts / 28 off two times in a row, getting earlier to # six than you did to # one.
STEP 8. Then learn to run 55 km / 34 mph and 58 km / 36 mph @ 18 mts / 15 off

You are not supposed to shorten the rope or go faster unless you can run a pass two CONSECUTIVE times with gates, getting EARLY and in control to #6.
-- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 5,033 Mega Baller
    edited April 2016
    I have seen this before and have a couple of questions. First what line length are steps 1 and 2? Are they 15 off? Not sure I get step 8. Is he suggesting that after you can run 36/28 you should go back and learn 36/15. If you can run 36/28 consistently not sure I would go back to 36/15. In the US I would start a tournament 34/22, 36/22, 36/28. I guess if you are outside of the US you can't do that.

I am not sure I am going to go back to 36/15 with my son. He was running it his first season in B3 then got hurt. While he was recovering he ran a lot of slower speeds and shorter line lengths. When he was ready to speed up we did 32/22, 34/22 then 36/22. I think he ran 22 off on his second or third try and he hadn't run it before the injury.

I do think slower speeds and shorter line lengths help teach good fundamentals. My son was running into 35 off at 30 and 32 mph and you need good body position and fundamentals to run short line length at any speed. The falls hurt a lot less at the slower speeds.
    Mark Shaffer
    dvskieraupatkingThan_BoganBulldog
  • RazorRoss3RazorRoss3 Posts: 1,250 Mega Baller
    The consistency prior to the difficulty piece is the most important part of that quote.

Personally I find that running the next line at reduced speed a useful learning tool. Not necessarily a full speed down but with a half mph off so 35.5mph for me.
  • ToddLToddL Posts: 2,703 Mega Baller
    @Chef23 - I assume that #1 #2 are -15. Yes, he is suggesting that you work up to short line vai slower speeds before you master -15 at the top two speeds.
    -- The future of skiing depends upon welcoming novice skiers regardless of age to our sport.