Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After Your Flight Check Equipment !

Stevie BoyStevie Boy ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★Posts: 1,990 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
edited April 2016 in News & Other Stuff
So skied in Orlando last October, treated myself to a new Radar Vapour, put both my skis in the Bag and flew home unpacked and put the skis in the Garage, took the skis to the lake today for my first ski of the season only to discover that some mindless handler at the airport must have run over them or something, one ski was cracked across width about 10" from the tail and the vapour was cracked about 10" from the front, I am so angry with myself for not having a proper look before putting them away for the winter.
Two skis totally ruined Ouch! and nothing to ski on.

When The Going Gets Tough, Get Stoked !

Comments

• nleuthnleuth Baller Posts: 45 Baller
    @Stevie Boy I had that happen as well. Ski was packed tightly inside a snowboard bag inside a sport tube and it was broke in 2 spots. The airline was nice enough to reimburse me though.
  • Jody_SealJody_Seal Mega Baller Posts: 2,706 Mega Baller
    Yes coming back from Australia I unpacked my Ski right after it came out of oversize, r8ght there on the baggage floor to inspect. I have found that the hard sport tube style ski boxes get more abuse then a single event roller bag. I procured a Masterline single event bag and when I travel via air I ask for fragile tags and slap them all over the bag, so far so good..
    Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

• gcam4gcam4 Baller Posts: 83 Baller
    Somewhat off topic, but what do most people use to put their ski in while traveling? My wife and I are thinking of going to Florida to ski and are unsure of what to put our skies in.
  • jhughesjhughes Mega Baller Posts: 934 Mega Baller
    I have a soft Dakine roller bag with multiple slalom skis in it (wife and I) and it's been all over for years with no problems. We use Fin Firkins and/or 4" PVC for the fins while they are in the bag. However, this February in Florida I went from the airport to the lake and it took me 6x to run my opener. The ski just kept dumping me dangerously, and I didn't know if it was just a matter of shaking out the mental cobwebs. Turns out the fin was off by 3/10ths in 2 directions! I'll always break out the caliper after plane travel w/skis from now on.
  • rfarfa Baller Posts: 247 Baller
    I've had a sportube for several years now with good luck. Also have a Masterline roller bag that never had a problem (it's been in my basement sitting for years, if anyone interested...). While i think the sportube is more protective, the other attribute I value is that when it comes out of the "belt" i can see immediately whether it's damaged or not, which is not always possible wit a soft bag (as @stevieboy unfortunately just found out)
    Rui Afonso
  • LeonLLeonL Crazy Baller Posts: 2,341 Crazy Baller
    I don't how many time I've heard the phrase "looked like they ran over it with a truck". How does that kind of damage happen from handling? It may be that the baggage handlers are,jealous of someone who is traveling with sports equipment.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • oldjeepoldjeep Mega Baller Posts: 3,405 Mega Baller
    edited April 2016
    @LeonL You ever watched them unload a plane? I saw my big sport tube with $3k worth of snow skis in it get tossed from 4 feet onto the ground a few years ago. Awesome since I had also paid an extra $100 each way due to the weight of it. They are not exactly careful. One of the reasons I stopped flying out west and just take my truck now.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
  • bobbulferbobbulfer Baller Posts: 38 Baller
    @Stevie Boy I had this happen last fall on a delta flight back from SC. It took about 3 weeks but delta gave me a check for the full price that I paid for the ski 3 yrs prior and for the bindings. For me it was a blessing as I was done skiing at home in MN and their check paid for a good portion of a new vapor.
    aupatking
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Crazy Baller Posts: 747 Crazy Baller
    Ouch. Feel really sorry for you!

Can you by any chance get some $ from any insurance in any way?
    Hope that you get a new ski soon so you at least can ski and put this behind you!

Best luck
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
  • skier2788skier2788 Crazy Baller Posts: 732 Crazy Baller
    I will make a long story short. Don't ever fly your equipment with Frontier! Last year they crushed my sportube. Cracked the tip of my 1 month old ski. I fought with them and made several trips to the airport because they kept giving me phone numbers to call that were disconnected. I took a letter from the manufacturer that stated the ski was not structurally sound any more. All they would do was pay a portion of my sportube because it was 2 years old and not worth the original purchase price according to them and the deemed the crack in my ski was only worth 200 dollars. Baggage policy says they are not responsible for any damage unless in a hard sided case. Trust me they won't pay even in a hard case. DON'T FLY FRONTIER!
    Travis Torley
  • markchilcuttmarkchilcutt Crazy Baller Posts: 931 Crazy Baller
    I use a sport tube and duck tape a beach towel around the tail and one on the tip. Knock on wood have made a few Utah to Florida trips with no damage.
    Ski it if you can!!!!
  • aupatkingaupatking Mega Baller Posts: 1,254 Mega Baller
    I open my sport tube right in front of the baggage office every time now. They look at me weird but they don't know they're looking at a $1750 blank + $750 in bindings. They'd look too.
    TSA did take my ski out of my sport tube, out of the neoprene ski sock and apparently drag the fin across concrete. That takes a special kind of Moron. I didn't even press that issue. I took it as lucky it was nothing but a fin.
    I pack my Eagle vest, gloves, and Reflex liners in my sport tube, so I get the satisfaction of unleashing the smell of damp equipment trapped in a plastic case, right there at the desk
    markchilcutt
  • Stevie BoyStevie Boy ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★ Posts: 1,990 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I am talking with the insurance people not sure ,what sort of figure I may get out of them, something is better than nothing, the real bummer is that my left knee is in real bad shape, I was waiting to see if the small op I had in December was going to allow me to ski or if I am going to have to go for a TKR, $1300 is a lot of money to spend on One set, if the knee gives out I will I have to go for the TKR.
    Did somebody say it's only Money :'(

When The Going Gets Tough, Get Stoked !

• The_MSThe_MS Mega Baller Posts: 5,225 Mega Baller
    Check your fin daily
    Shut up and ski