Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rib injury

WishWish Posts: 7,795 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
Well, just took a digger into the wake left side of body under greatest load to the line. Rope failed. Not something I would have ever predicted and I do check my rope. So my question is, is it worth going to the doc. From what I gather, there really is not much they will do. Yes it hurts. Can tolerate it without meds so far. Pain spikes some when moving around. Spikes more when pulling on something with left arm. I would say very little if any spike when taking a deep breath. Pain seems pretty localized to where ribs attach to chest plate both in front and in back left side. Any thoughts? Recovery time? This sucks.
>>> 11.25..a different kettle of fish. <<<

Comments

• gregygregy Posts: 2,581 Mega Baller
    edited April 2016
    I did the same before and didn't go to the doc it hurt pretty bad but I could still function. One of my buddies couldn't pull himself up on the platform and ended in the ER a few hours later.
  • rodltg2rodltg2 Posts: 1,051 Crazy Baller
    When I did it , I did go to the doc. He basically said nothing he could do. If I wanted I could go get X-rays just to know for myself. So I opted to go home. Pain sucks. Don't watch any comedies and avoid allergies !
  • gregygregy Posts: 2,581 Mega Baller
    I was skiing in about 2 weeks with some pain.
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,436 Mega Baller
    MAN that sucks. I've been eager to here about your exploits at -39!

Also, you might consider cutting back on the 'roids... :smile:
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
  • Orlando76Orlando76 Posts: 1,050 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    I did something similar mid last season. Right at the chest plate. I was not skiing for 4-6 weeks and holy mother **** it hurt to cough.
  • WishWish Posts: 7,795 ★★★Triple Panda Award Recipient ★★★
    Of course I will zero in on what I want to hear like..skip going to doc and skiing within 2 weeks and basically ignore the rest..haha. But seriously, thanks for the feedback so far.

@Than_Bogan I felt great, the water was the tiniest of ripples..perfect, full sun, 85 air 78 water and the first 32 was just off the charts good. This was gonna be a several cracks at 38 day for sure. The way the 35s went a few days ago, I can't imagine less then 4 at 38 if not running some. Second pass 1 to 2 ball ..snap..CRASH!!! Driver knew it. Was back to me before I could turn my head back in his direction. Stayed in the water for a while. Never got the wind knocked out of me but was in some good pain. Did get up on the platform on my own but guessing things had not fully set in yet. Oh well. It happens I guess.

@6balls thoughts?
  • oldjeepoldjeep Posts: 3,417 Mega Baller
    edited April 2016
    I go to the doc anytime I might have broke a rib and get an x-ray. (Typically this is a snow ski accident for me). If it isn't broken then there isn't much they can do, if it is broken then there isn't much they can do but you can at least make an educated decision if you really want to risk finishing it off or jamming it into something important.
    Chuck P
    Not a mechanic but I play one at home
    WishKdinger838
  • MarcoMarco Posts: 1,407 Crazy Baller
    @Wish - Sorry to hear about your ribs. Bruised or broken ribs really suck. I hope you heal fast!

Years ago I broke 6 ribs, punctured a lung, and broke my hand. They surgically fixed my hand, but did nothing about my ribs except for heavy duty pain meds. I was back skiing 6 weeks later, but they were tender all summer. Hopefully yours are just bruised, and you can get back on the water sooner.
  • pgmoorepgmoore Posts: 201 Solid Baller
    This is an injury that I have dealt with too often over the past couple of years. During this past winter, I was discussing with one of my best friends, who happens to be an orthopedic surgeon.

He was mentioning that there are some recent studies which show that topical, Voltaren style gels are effective at controlling the pain of rib injuries and may help speed healing by reducing inflammation.

He did point out that these applications are available by prescription only and are about 10x the strength of over-the-counter Voltaren (which probably won't do much of anything at all).

So if/when this happens to me again, I'm definitely going to go looking for a prescription for this type of medication.
    Patrick Moore
  • TustinTomTustinTom Posts: 95 Baller
    Same thing happened to me Dec 3. I was told mine were cracked because the pain was "worse" than if broken. The first week, a sneeze would bring me to my knees and tears. Sleeping on my left side was a no go.

I didn't ski for 6 weeks. I don't ski at your level/intensity etc. I wasn't worried about more damage. I just wanted to get up and make some turns. So, I would listen to @oldjeep. You may want to gauge your return on possible future damage.
  • jcampjcamp Posts: 785 Mega Baller
    Make sure you keep taking as big of breathes as you can handle. If you breathe too shallow it's easy to get fluid build up and infection. Breathing deeply keeps things cleaned out even if it is painful.
    oldjeepThan_BoganWishsunnydaysmn
  • Than_BoganThan_Bogan Posts: 6,436 Mega Baller
    re @jcamp's comment: When my dad had a bad rib issue, he declined the opiod painkillers and then they told him he really had to take them because otherwise he wouldn't be able to breathe deeply enough to heal. (Off topic but: He got the hell off that $#@% as soon as he was allowed to, and even that he found was fairly difficult. Damn those are addictive.)

If you can't breathe deeply, then a doctor visit may be in order for exactly that reason.
    Nathaniel Bogan -- GUT Padawan
    @jcamp wow... Ok.. am able to take a deep breath with min spike in pain. So will keep doing that as it cannot hurt..much.
  • Deep11Deep11 Posts: 220 Solid Baller
    Sucks - done it three time - 6 weeks
  • Alberto SoaresAlberto Soares Posts: 307 Solid Baller
    @Wish

I feel your pain, I really do, I did the same April 6 training for a tournament in Chile. The problem is that I was stupid enough to ski in the competition 2 days later under heavy pain pills. I got a few buoys, but that was a bad decision, I left the water a lot worse than I was the day I got hurt.

After 1 week with the pills my digestive system told me I should quit (the good Chilean wine may have something to do with that also), anyway after 10 days I was feeling good.

Back to Brazil, on April 21 (2 weeks after) I decided to try to ski, I could do it under considerable pain, but again, that was not a good idea , I feel like I got back a few days in my treatment.

Fortunately next weekend will be wet and cold, so I will probably only ski next tuesday, or 4 weeks from the day I got hurt.

So, if you want my opinion, wait 3 weeks before getting back to water.

• The_MSThe_MS Posts: 5,225 Mega Baller
    Tape it up and ski. I hope your OK by July
    Shut up and ski
  • rawlyrawly Posts: 471 Solid Baller
    Rib injuries hurt. I would hit the Dr. up for some pain meds to help sleep. It's up to you. Won't get quality rides with the pain , yada , yada , yada. You ski year round don't you ? A few weeks off is nothing. I've been off the water for medical reasons for 10 months. Or wrap your ribs and GUT it out. You do preach GUT skiing. Reinforces the fact that we should replace our ropes every year. Regardless of how they look. That could be a new thread. Get well soon.
  • supergadgetsupergadget Posts: 55 Baller
    I've had several separate episodes of broken ribs(motocross). Go and get the xray. You cannot judge just from pain alone. I had a punctured lung from a rib break. Not something you want to risk. Plus this added injury untreated will just add to your recovery.
  • Bruce_ButterfieldBruce_Butterfield Posts: 1,511 Mega Baller
    Yeah that sucks. I've had that type of crash/injury half a dozen times. Avg recovery time is 3 weeks and the worst part is virtually nothing you can do to shorten it. Ice, anti-inflammatory or cortisone injections help some, but won't cure it. Sneezes or coughs can put you on your knees.

About the only thing you can do is limit activity and wait it out. If it really still hurts after a few days, a trip to the doc may be in order, but don't be surprised if the recommendation is "don't do anything that hurts for a few weeks".
    I'm Ancient. WTH do I know?
  • chris55chris55 Posts: 319 Solid Baller
    @Wish happend to me 6 weeks ago and took an Xray at least you know what to deal with and take responsible action with your body. Rich or poor we only have one body....I had only bruise so took 10 days off and back to ski. No pain killer bcause your body tells you when it is too much. Voltaren is a good help. Good luck and patience, it will take probably 2 months. You can still write comments on the forum......good news for us, I like your comments it helped my skiing
    Than_BoganWishtdusin
  • skiboynyskiboyny Posts: 213 Baller
    Try getting on a steady diet of advill for a week. 3 times a day as long as your stomach can tolerate it. If your lucky you could be out of it in a week or two. If there is a rib broken 6 weeks it is. Doesn't really matter either way.
    Lovell
    I sneezed this morning..wow.. Guessing that's what getting stabbed by a knife feels like..
  • LeonLLeonL Posts: 2,344 Crazy Baller
    Doesn't help, but it may be torn cartilage. Same result. Get yout self a band/ strap that goes around your chest and put it on tight. Help with the pain, especially,if you cough or sneeze. You may feel like skiing in a couple of weeks.
    Leon Leonard Stillwater Lake KY - SR Driver SR Judge
  • Alberto SoaresAlberto Soares Posts: 307 Solid Baller
    @Wish - I got back yesterday, 25 days after the first injure, a little pain but I can ski again, GREAT!!!!
  • JohnbrannanJohnbrannan Posts: 35 Baller
    As a sports Med doc, the rule of rib injuries is that they hurt for at least two weeks, and longer if broken. Wait a couple of weeks before going to the ED or PCP
    Wish
  • Zoro957Zoro957 Posts: 60 Baller
    Wish, the fall I took at your place last week was worse than I thought. Probably cracked a rib. I understand it is a 4-6 week recovery.
    tdusin
  • prettigprettig Posts: 62 Baller
    same here (years ago)... nothing they can do..... but you can still ski !

Skiing did go ok, try to skip the start (haha... really hurts) and do not fall.
    Not recommended by the way (one good fall and you rib is gone again).
  • swardcoswardco Posts: 63 Baller
    Not a terribly encouraging thread.

First day out last Sunday 5/22. I took a bad digger into the wake on my gate. Right side of the ribs took the impact.

I can breathe deeply, so will keep doing that. I can sneeze without going to my knees so I guess that is good. I can even sleep on the right side if I do it all just right. Overall hard to believe with this level of pain, that I broke anything. The length of time for recovery is pretty discouraging.

Biggest bummer is that this was the first day out for the year and I am needing to get some time on the ski. Going to a clinic with @CParrish43 here in Colorado in 2.5 weeks...

Dang!
  • swardcoswardco Posts: 63 Baller
    @Wish so your crash was roughly 4 weeks ago, correct? So how long till you were back on a ski? How long till you felt "normal"? Just curious.
    I probably slipped back into the water about a week to soon. Hell getting pulled up out of the water. Basically just did lean drills. Was thankful for some windy days after. The few sets after that I learned to take a very deep breath and hold it while being pulled up. Once in the course not to bad. I'd say at present date 90%. Not bad at all really. Guessing not broken. Also have stayed at 32 with a few 35s mixed in. Forcing myself to concentrate on technique vs buoy count. Falling is still a fear but falling that way seams highly unlikely. Time is the unfortunate key I guess. I certainly did not want to hear that but seems to be the case.