TraceUp GPS Unboxing

HortonHorton Posts: 23,672 Administrator
edited May 2016 in Ski Tests

Get yours! http://www.traceup.com/

Sample Exports The data in this XLS sheet shows speed only- Not postion
Use this code at checkout for 20% off: BOFSPRAY-1
Get yours! http://www.traceup.com/

Support BallOfSpray by supporting the companies that support BallOfSpray

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

Tagged:

Comments

• WaternutWaternut Posts: 1,511 Crazy Baller
    I have one of these that I used for snow skiing and the Trace Snow app. Part of the reason I bought it was to track waterskiing but in reality, I don't think I have a good enough grasp on the data to understand what I'm looking at.

I think I get that column 1 is speed in mph. Is column X total distance skied in inches and column Y total distance about the courses centerline? Did you have to do any data manipulation to get these numbers?
  • bbirlewbbirlew Posts: 169 Baller
    @Waternut,
    X is distance traveled down course (in centimeters) with -5500 being the 55's and 0 being the enterance gates.
    Y is cross course distance (again in cm).
    Yes there was a bunch of data processing done to convert this data from the gps coordinates you get from trace into xy data. I've written an android app that will import the trace data from their data server and (among other things) export the data to excel for @horton.
    I'll do a write up on the app in the next few days, but am happy to answer any questions you have.
    Cheers,
    Brad
  • cvaughtcvaught Posts: 11 Baller
    Any chance you might consider open sourcing the Android app and placing it on Github?
    Horton
  • HortonHorton Posts: 23,672 Administrator
    edited May 2016
    Soooo to be clear @bbirlew is the man behind that beta data accusation exports. Without his work I would still be looking at video speedometers.

Connelly / DBSkis /   Denali / Eden Ski Lake  / Goode / HO Syndicate / MasterCraft / Masterline

O'Brien / Performance Ski and Surf / PTM Edge / Stokes / Reflex / Radar / Wakeye

• bbirlewbbirlew Posts: 169 Baller
    @cvaught,
    I'm certainly open to collaboration on it and will answer any and all questions about the app.

I have given a fair bit of thought to open sourcing it and that is somthing I will consider.
    B
    edited May 2016
    @bbirlew Cool. Centimeters makes sense. Is that app ready by chance or is it still in development?
  • ktm300ktm300 Posts: 364 Baller
    How does it sync with and overlay the video? How accurate is the speed data? Unless I'm missing something, Cole is going 50mph at 1 ball (hey, nice turn). Horton 25mph at 2 ball. I am not just being a critic. I really hope this works and if it does, think it will be more useful than a thousand conversations about "carrying speed through the turns", fast this and slow that.
    edited May 2016
    @ktm300 the time sync for video often has to be corrected. It is cool but i do not think it is nearly as valuable as chart data.

@Waternut there is no production app. We shoehorned my data from @bbirlew's other project. We need someone to learn from @bbirlew's efforts and run with it. I suspect the programming needs to basically start from scratch.

@ktm300 we think the speed data is good. If nothing else it is consistent. I had recorded from inside the boat and it matches ZO

• cvaughtcvaught Posts: 11 Baller
    @bbirlew If you can share what you have I would be happy to look at it and see if there is anything I can do to move the project forward. Are you only able to extract gps coordinates versus time? Looks like the device also has an accelerometer, gyro, etc. Is trace supporting the data extraction via an API or did you just figure it out? Or is it a manual process? It appears they have dedicated apps for other sports to generate summary and detail information about your activity. The API then gives you access to the results but I don't see anything that discusses how to obtain the raw data from the device programmatically.
  • 303Skier303Skier Posts: 446 Solid Baller
    Be cool to see a pro like @CParrish43 using one of these. 32-41 off.
    Jarrus Steele - Orlando, Florida
    One thing I've noticed from watching the videos is the difference in cross course speeds generated 34 vs 36. Looks like @Horton tops out at about 48 mph and the other skier at 36 tops out at 58 ish. Almost a 10 mph difference!!!
    edited May 2016
    @cvaught has a good point. It would be nice to see accelerometer data. Might be useful in determining where your cross course angle is poor and where you're over cooking your turns and losing angle. For example a steady increase in acceleration would lead me to believe it was a clean turn and a good pull through to the wakes. Some jittery numbers show hitting the wake and a steady deceleration shows a good preturn. However, a hard jump in acceleration followed by a drop and with more acceleration shows the turn was too hard and you were forced to back off.
    Looks like an interesting read @Mark_Matis! Looks like the author is from Colorado, cool!
    @303Skier Data from the videos is not granular enough. The raw data shows I go 53 - 54 mph into one ball. IDK the speed for a 36mph skiers

303Skier
  • sailworkssailworks Posts: 24 Baller
    Hello all
    Just stumbled on this thread having seen ad for Trace. I think this data - if mapped to course and granular enough would be fantastic help for those of us interested in dynamics and physics of what's happening on the course. Any follow ups to efforts to tease out and display the information of interest??? Any alternative hardware that is competing??
  • sailworkssailworks Posts: 24 Baller
    Looked at and down loaded video of Horton demo trace up and video - looks pretty sync to me. Can you point me to a web site or mention is few words as to how you produced video with superimposed / overlay of path on course and speed!??
    Thanks
    The video sync is automatic but sadly the sync is just not accurate enough to be helpful. 1/2 second off might as well be a minute.

• DefectiveDaveDefectiveDave Posts: 435 Solid Baller
    Even with the bad sync I still kind of want to make this work. Is it possible to enforce an offset for the video timing before making the overlay videos?

Perhaps we could use a secondary device to determine the approximate offset by say, jolting the accelerometer of the trace while simultaneously flashing a LED visible to the camera? Such a device would be quick and easy to build.