Toe Trick Advice

arigold22arigold22 Posts: 37 Baller
This year my goal is to focus on developing a killer toe pass. My current trick pb is 1800 but is mainly hand tricks, aside from TB TF and TS. My plan this season is to spend at least half of every trick set working on toes. As I mentioned before I have a very consistent TB TF and TS, I can also do TWB and sometimes TWF. I want to start learning RTS, RTB and TO. These seem like very basic tricks that, once mastered, will lead to quick progression and big scores. I do not ski on a regular basis with anyone who does these tricks so it is tough for me to know what to focus on when attempting these tricks. Any and all advice on how to begin learning these tricks and drills to practice would be greatly appreciated!

• eleeskieleeski Posts: 3,156 MM Trick Skier / Eccentric Person
    TWF is a critical trick. It teaches you to edge up the wake and to keep rope tension control in the air. Surprisingly, it is easier as a big trick so go for it. Make sure you cross the wake before turning and land with the toe leg in a bit.

After getting solid on TS, TWB and TWF, start working on TO. To do TO start from the wrap, drop the rope, square up the shoulders and resist the turn out. Too often the tendency is to turn the ski. That rope will unwind you like a top - you need to resist that and control the rotation. Don't let your shoulders lead the trick. Try stopping in TB out of the wrap to really get control.

Another fun trick to pick up is TWO. I actually learned it before TO. Start outside the wake (RFF starts out the driver's wake). Make sure the front of your foot has crossed the crest of the wake before you unwrap. Stay tight with your core and rotate from the hips. Do not let your upper body or eyes get ahead of your ski (this leads to hard fast falls - your release person must be very good!).

I hate RTS. It does teach some rope control so learn it. Do it with power not as a weak RTB.

RTB takes commitment and trust. Don't lean on the rope. You have to turn the toe foot all the way over and settle into a strong edge. If you are flexible enough, you can stick it. Otherwise, just go there and back out. TBB out might be easier - it's easy points for sure once you've committed to a strong RTB.

One footed handle tricks help the balance and edge feel. Put your back foot on top of the back binding. Turn around to full back and smoothly take your foot off the back of the ski. If you are stable, move the off foot to the RTB position.

Dry land practice is extremely important to learn. Experiment with rope positions and feeling the motions.

Good luck,
  • andjulesandjules Posts: 650 Crazy Baller
    edited May 2016
    A couple of general points that helped me, back in the day:

- whenever in the back position, try to feel just a little bit of weight on your heel and keep your shoulders up (think about arching your back, but don't get quite that far)
    - whenever coming from regular toe back to front, try to bring your rope knee up and imagine ending with the weight over the ball of your foot

Concentrating on the above two should make the TWF much easier

- @eleeski mentioned resisting the turn out on the TO. As you drop the rope and square up your shoulders, point your knee towards the boat - it should help with resisting the turn out

- @eleeski also mentions the importance of dry land practice. Can't emphasize that enough with the RTB.
  • klindyklindy Posts: 1,961 Mega Baller
    It helped me to think of the sensation of sitting in a chair when learning the RTB. You don't get all the way into that position but if you have too much weight on your toe when backwards the rope is difficult to control.

Like @andjules said for the TF (and TWF) think of getting that rope leg knee up a bit and even "reach" for the handle with your hands when learning the TWF. It will help with the body position. Critical to wait for the top of the wake.

Likewise with the TO - square the shoulders, knee toward the pylon and control the rope as you unwind. Let it simply spin you and you'll never get the T5B. You might play with the height of your rope leg when you let the rope go before you turn. Sometimes a little higher helps. Either way the rope should be straight before you let it go. You're not "holding" the rope as much as you are using your fingers to stop it from unwinding you.

Post some video and I'm sure you'll get some additional advice.
    Keith Lindemulder
    AWSA Vice President
  • arigold22arigold22 Posts: 37 Baller
    @eleeski Thanks for the detailed advice on each trick! I will definitely start working on the TO and maybe try a TWO (seems like an intimidating trick for some reason). I've been trying the RTS a bit and am starting to get the feeling so hopefully I can apply some of your advice and work towards a consistent slide and back. The TWF is coming along as well, definitely goes well if i resist the wake and wait til I am all the way over it before I rotate.

@andjules @klindy I also appreciate the tips for those toe tricks! I will focus on more dryland practice which will hopefully transition well to the water. I will definitely start taking some video and post it if I have further questions.