No Practice Ramp

j-philGVSUj-philGVSU Posts: 6 Baller
Unfortunately, my collegiate team lost our site this past year and we no longer have a place to jump. I, personally, am jumping just under 120', but only get to hit a ramp during tournaments. I ride my skis regularly, but I'm curious if there is anything else I can be working on (on or off the water) that will keep me from losing progress throughout the weeks between hitting the ramp. Any suggestions?
Tagged:

Comments

• Chef23Chef23 Posts: 4,838 Mega Baller
    Somebody told me there was some geometry in the slalom course that could translate to simulating the jump course and the bottom right corner of the ramp. For the life of me I don't remember what it is though.
    Mark Shaffer
  • gsm_petergsm_peter Posts: 630 Solid Baller
    Sad that you lost your site.

Our club has a ramp but no body use it so it has not been put into the water last years.
    Unfortunately Sweden is a looong way to travel for some practice..... B)
    Life is too short not to enjoy every day!
  • lpskierlpskier Posts: 1,818 Mega Baller
    edited May 2016
    @Mark_Matis Is spot on. However, your cutting will improve without the customary development on the ramp, so when you actually go over the top, work your way up to your best cuts.

Also, it would be good to either get some video or someone that knows what they are doing to watch you from the boat. No point in learning and then ingraining bad habits. #iskiconnelly
    John Wilkins- Si non pro sanguine quem ludus ne. #iskiconnelly
    Exactly. #iskiconnelly
    My soon to be son in law Ricky Walters and I have spent the last two days packing up my ramp to ship to his site just outside Augusta, Ga. If you live anywhere nearby, you may be in luck! #iskiconnelly.
  • j-philGVSUj-philGVSU Posts: 6 Baller
    Thanks, guys! I am going to be adding a few buoys to the slalom course this week. I have plenty of room to add a jump course. Here in Michigan, there is only one three-event tournament all summer, so I guess I will be going on a few road trips! Thanks!
  • EdbrazilEdbrazil Posts: 1,286 Historical Baller
    Always a good idea to get very solid on the skis. Without an actual ramp to go over,
    beware of getting out of position doing practice cuts. As in being all hunched over,
    skis spread, arms way out from the body, weight on the wrong ski, etc. You need to
    be in good position to absorb some G-force when you hit the ramp. Talking as a person
    who was a good bit self-taught, as was common at that time and place. Took my share
    of crashes. Example: hit my chin on the top of the ramp once.